• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scan function on the XPR-6550

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaySt1

I have a "hybrid" radio system due to budget restrictions. Currently I have 21 Motorola cp-200's using Analog frequencies inside my buildings. We recently upgraded to a small digital system (17 Motorola XPR-6550 UHF radios) that use an off site repeater supplied by my vendor (we rent airtime). This smaller system gives my security staff the additional range to talk with both of our campuses which are about 6 miles apart.

The XPR-6550's are set on Zone 1 (Digital UHF offsite repeater rented from our vendor)
The CP-200's use analog "line of sight" No repeater. The XPR-6550's can communicate with the CP-200's by manually switching to "Zone 2". The Cp-200's do not have the ability to communicate on the digital "Zone 1"

My question is: Is it possible to set up the XPR-6550's to scan both Zone 1 and Zone 2 at the same time? Or is there another way to program the XPR-6550's to scan the one analog radio frequency and the digital talk groups?

I realize the CP-200's will not be able to scan the digital UHF talk groups, but it would be great if my security staff could monitor both systems. All of the CP-200's are on the same freq and are only used for emergencies, and are actually turned off most of the time. Most of our radio traffic is over the digital system, but I have now lost the ability for the staff inside the buildings to initiate communications with the XPR-6550's in the event of an emergency. I do not want to have to purchase digital radios to replace the 21 CP-200's unless I absolutely have to.

Any suggestions?

dfdinv4

The XPR6550 will scan both digital and analog provided the digital is not running on a "system".
By system I mean Mototrbo IP site connect, capacity plus, linked capacity plus etc. So it depends on what the vendor is running for the leased repeater site. Ask the vendor and he should be able to help you.

RJB

JaySt1

Thanks. The vendor has told me it cannot happen,, but since they will benefit greatly if I upgrade my 21 radios I wanted a second opinion. Thank you for your help!

JRayfield

There are three 'flavors' of MOTOTRBO trunked repeater systems - Capacity Plus, Linked Capacity Plus, and Connect Plus.

If the 'repeater' on which you're renting 'airtime' is actually any one of these three types of trunked repeater systems, then you would not be able to scan a conventional analog channel and the trunked repeater system.

If your radios are not 'roaming' between multiple 'digital repeaters', and they are not operating on a 'trunked system' of repeaters, then yes, the XPR6550 can scan between a conventional analog channel and a digital channel.

You need to find out what type of 'system' it is, on which you're renting airtime, or if you're just on a single digital repeater.

John Rayfield, Jr.

Thanks. The vendor has told me it cannot happen,, but since they will benefit greatly if I upgrade my 21 radios I wanted a second opinion. Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.