• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS 3000 P25 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD9AYZ

Hi everyone,

I may not be posting this in the correct threat (I apologize if so), but I am looking for some advice. I just recently purchased a Motorola XTS 3000 off of eBay. I am trying to program it and I am running into a few problems.

My first problem is, there is a local P25 repeater where I live. It is a UHF mixed mode repeater capable of analog and P25 voice. I can get the radio to work just fine on analog with the repeater, however I can't seem to get it to work with the P25. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked that I have the Rx frequency, Tx frequency, PL codes, and NAC all entered correctly. The Rx is set to Mixed mode and the Tx is set to ASTRO. I can hear the P25 noise on the input frequency when I transmit but its not making it to the output of the repeater. At this point, I am not sure if this is a programming error on my side, or something I'm missing that's causing the repeater not to allow my traffic through.

My second problem is that when I'm transmitting on analog I have gotten reports that there is a high pitched humming noise that is present when I transmit. It doesn't go away or change pitch the entire time I am keyed up. I have turned a second radio on to listen and have noticed the same thing. Just a single pitched humming noise that is there the whole time I am keyed up. If the power to the radio is on and I pull the battery and put it back in the noise is 100% gone. As soon as I use the knob to power the radio off and back on again the noise returns. I have also noticed that this noise is present when attempting to use the P25 as well, so I'm not sure if its possible that this is causing interference with the repeater?

My third and final problem, is when I got the radio the battery appeared to be dead. I left it on the charger overnight and the next morning it was still giving me the low battery chirp when I tried to transmit. I ordered a new Impres charger as well as a new Impres battery with date code 1609 on it. I put the old battery on the Impres charger and it went through the entire reconditioning and charging process. No change. I was still getting the low battery chirp. I took the new battery and let it go through the initialization and charging process, this time I was no longer getting the low battery chirp. I thought the problem there was solved but am now noticing that after an hour or two of leaving the radio on I am getting the low battery chirp again. If I pull the battery and put it back on again (without charging it) the radio goes back to normal and I don't start getting the low battery chirp again for another 1 to 2 hours.

I am completely baffled at this point and am not sure how to proceed with this radio. I know this is a lengthy post and I am very grateful for any assistance anyone is willing to offer. At this point, I'm not sure where to even begin with this radio, or if it's even worth my time.

Thank you in advance for any help that anyone is willing to offer

Michael - KD9AYZ

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Sounds like the first thing is the radio should go through a total alignment on a service monitor. If other stations are stating that they are hearing things other than your audio on transmit something is obviously wrong.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
XTS3000 give false low battery warnings with Impres batteries.we used to put a small piece of electrical tape on the center contact on the back of the radio. Here is the info from Motorola. SERVICE AND REPAIR NOTES
Bulletin
TECHNICAL INFORMATION /COMMERCIAL, GOVERNMENT & INDUSTRIAL SOLUTIONS SECTOR
If applicable, enter this information or note this bulletin number and subject material in the appropriate equipment instruction manuals and
make necessary schematic diagram changes. Enter this bulletin in the correct MASTER and CLASSIFIED INDICES for future reference.
Labor and/or parts warranty reference is limited to products sold and in use in the United States. For products sold
and in use Internationally, this bulletin is for informational purposes only. Radios that are Agency Approved must
follow designated agency guidelines.
SRN-ISO
This SRN supersedes SRN1463 SRN - 1463A
APC - 326, 620
August 2004
Informational Only
Distribution: Service: MOL: Two Way Portable
Subject: XTS3000 PREMATURE LOW BATTERY ALERT/ DISTORTED OR NO TX AUDIO
Symptoms:
The XTS3000 units may experience premature low battery alerts and/or distorted TX audio when used with IMPRES “smart”
battery packs NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437, HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
Potential Problem Chargers:
All XTS3000 with firmware prior to R07.20.00 that uses the IMPRES “smart” batteries NNTN4435, NNTN4436, NNTN4437,
HNN9031, HNN9032, and NTN9862.
Cause:
This is due to stray or parasitic capacitance on the center data pin of the IMPRES battery packs. This capacitance can cause an
oscillating condition on the data pin, which can make the radio misinterpret and indecisive about what battery pack type is
connected to the radio. The radio software may revert to clamshell battery defaults, which is a higher low-battery alert
indication threshold and low-power output. Premature low-battery alert indication will be the result, even though full capacity
of the battery is available.
Also, if the parasitic oscillation frequency falls within the audio bandwidth, this may modulate the transmitted signal and will
be demodulated by the receiving unit as undesired audio noise.
Corrective Action:
Option 1 - Use of Battery Insulator kit RLN5649A. The kit includes battery contact insulators and instructions on how to
apply them to the battery center contact. Kits are available at no charge. Contact AAD @ (800)422-4210 for availability.
Option 2 - Upgrade software with enhanced Clamshell detection software (version R07.20.00 or greater). Please contact
Subscriber Support Team @ 800-927-2744 to obtain information to obtain the upgrade kit.
Informational Only. No Labor or Warranty Implied or Intended.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
FFPM571 Man thank you very much for providing that SRN.
Ive hung onto my UHF and 800mhz XTS3000 and a few old batteries and by covering the center battery contact on the radio the batteries no longer give me issues.
Further more on my UHF one of my channels in the scan list would NEVER pick up. So i put the radio aside thinking it was a unit that went bad. Covering the center battery connector now allows the radio to work like it used to.
My friend i owe you a beer.. or six.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Well the RX is back to being wonky so maybe just a placebo affect for me on that unit.
But the low battery issue has been fixed. Out of 4 batteries 2 of them legitimately work now and 2 still low batt chirp either immediately or shortly there after.

wsykes41770

XTS3000s don't work on P25 systems. They can't be flashed to work on P25 systems either. You can use it for Analog or Type II Trunked, but not P25. You will need either a XTS2500 or XTS5000 if you want to use it on a P25 system. Even then, you will need to have the correct feature set in the radio.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
XTS3000s don't work on P25 systems. They can't be flashed to work on P25 systems either. You can use it for Analog or Type II Trunked, but not P25. You will need either a XTS2500 or XTS5000 if you want to use it on a P25 system. Even then, you will need to have the correct feature set in the radio.

Define systems?

When properly flashed a XTS3000 will work just fine on P25 conventional.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Define systems?

When properly flashed a XTS3000 will work just fine on P25 conventional.

When properly flashed and with the right firmware, an XTS3000 well even work on an 800MHz P25 trunking system.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Mike is correct.. I have one and it works fine on a P25 800 system right firmware and flashcode

KD9AYZ

Okay, so here is an update...I put a piece of electrical tape on the center battery contact of the radio....the low battery chirp as well as the hum have both disappeared completely.

I still cannot get it to transmit on the repeater, other people with P25 radios are having no trouble with the repeater so I don't think the issue is with the repeater.

I have a Uniden BCD996P2 scanner that can decode P25....I decided to try the close call feature and see what came up when I tried transmitting. When I transmit the Close Call pops up the right input frequency as well as the correct NAC for the repeater. It also decodes my voice without issue, so at this point I am at a complete loss as to why it won't open up the repeater??

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Okay, so here is an update...I put a piece of electrical tape on the center battery contact of the radio....the low battery chirp as well as the hum have both disappeared completely.

I still cannot get it to transmit on the repeater, other people with P25 radios are having no trouble with the repeater so I don't think the issue is with the repeater.

I have a Uniden BCD996P2 scanner that can decode P25....I decided to try the close call feature and see what came up when I tried transmitting. When I transmit the Close Call pops up the right input frequency as well as the correct NAC for the repeater. It also decodes my voice without issue, so at this point I am at a complete loss as to why it won't open up the repeater??

What is the antenna being used? Is adaptive modulation selected under Astro settings for the channel?

I'm assuming that the DSP has been verified to be a new enough version to work with P25. I had a VHF Astro Spectra that someone had edited the flash code with FBTool to tell the radio it was flashed for P25…but the DSP didn't physically support P25 (too old).

KD9AYZ

Ok, so this is what I have under Radio Information > Tracking > Version Information:

Codeplug: 000C
Firmware: 07.71.07.00
DSP Software: N08.03.05

Then under that I have:

System Package: H38
FLASHcode: 599008-0F1E00-0

Also if it helps, the model number is H09RDH9PW7AN

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If the dsp was an issue, his scanner wouldn't be picking it up.

Either your radio is misaligned or you have something set wrong in CPS.

How are you determining that you are not getting into the repeater?

N1GJB

Thanks for posting about the low battery alerts. I was going crazy thinking that the batteries I have were all junk. I'll try the electrical tape method. Haven't used it on transmit much so can't comment on the transmit hum issue but I have had issues with P25 transmit on conventional channels. I'm sure its an error on my end. I'll check the CPS for DSP settings.

KD9AYZ

If the dsp was an issue, his scanner wouldn't be picking it up.

Either your radio is misaligned or you have something set wrong in CPS.

How are you determining that you are not getting into the repeater?

So this is my latest update, my Uniden Scanner is still decoding my radio with the proper freq, and NAC. I had someone listen on the output of the repeater to confirm that I am not getting through on the repeater. Using his Motorola radio, we both switched to talkaround and spoke simplex. We had a full conversation on P25 simplex, and he stated I sounded fine on P25 and it was decoding my ID fine as well. We are stumped as to why I can talk P25 simplex but I can't open the Quantar repeater? (I should also note, he built the codeplug using the same settings for his radio (He was using an APX radio during our conversation). At this point, I am certain the frequencies and the NAC are set correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.