• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Service Technicians Discussion Group, old stories and Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioguy37

I was looking around the web wondering if there was a Motorola Service Technicians Discussion Group.
A place where MSS Techs could discuss old times, funny story's and share pictures from past days.
I haven't found anywhere yet, Maybe this would be a good spot?
I'll start, me on an oil derrick tying down coax from a low band whip on the top, and yes the derrick was working and you better hang on when they pulled a new pipe. 1979ish.

Attachments

• 1-1980.jpg
    1-1980.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 1,337

Radioguy37

One of our service vans displayed at the local fair. Early 80s

Attachments

• 1980 DuQuoin Fair 5 Dave Van.jpg
    1980 DuQuoin Fair 5 Dave Van.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,144

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
I remember those days of just a linemans belt for safety

cmdrwill

The photo of the service van brings back memories. A MICOR radio on the bench. One van I had in the mid 70's had wood cabinets. No rattling on those long dirt roads to the mountain top.

BTW, I still have my Motorola Universal Control panel, that I have not used in many years. I had made cables and mods so I could work on those other brands.... I still have the last service van, that got retired in 2014.

Radioguy37

We still have vans but no service bench. Time's they are changing. Please post some old pictures.

N4KVE

Many of the hams local to me worked at the factory in Plantation Florida. A few of the old timers are still there, & at the local radio free fleas, they talk about when they designed, & built the Sabers. One of them, Chuck, W4ROA who died a few years ago personally built the MX that went up in the space shuttles. That HUGE factory has been sold, & Motorola is just renting a small space back. How times change.

I wish I had pictures from my days, not so much doing the job, but of the people I used to work with. One by one, they're going where old radiomen go.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
An era gone by, where you could actually make a living doing a job that was very important to the customer. Now you have cell companies that are only interested in you buying the next gen phone, and throw away products not needing repair.

I love the old Syst Donner 1327 Service monitor, that you had to change the front end on to change bands. I have a pair of 2008's with cellular options I bought new in 1984, and also the universal test panel.

I too wish I had pictures of those days, and I have been fortunate enough to find a PS agency to work for that still believes in VHF Carrier Squelch. KISS radio like POTS telephone.

An unintended consequence of radio technology moving forward is the lack of qualified technicians or anyone wanting to go into that field.

Quote"
I wish I had pictures from my days, not so much doing the job, but of the people I used to work with. One by one, they're going where old radiomen go.

Unfortunately that's what happens when we get old. LOL

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'm not old...actually one of the younger senior techs you'll find in the industry right now.

Excuse my mess...I'm tired of cleaning since we are moving in less than a month to a new location and have been updating personal radios in my free time.
x39MtLz.jpg

I've got a couple of interesting posts over at Comm Tech Forums with some of the S*** shows I've run into over the last year or so. Couple of other Astro 25 techs hanging out there as well.

They've done a lot of remolding in Schaumburg.
HcfKnXZ.jpg

HZfrTYl.jpg

W5KVV

Great thread. Love the old gear in the pictures. My elmer would love this. He was a radio tech for the FAA. Back when Motorola was king of the world and RSS was a "regular soldering station". . .

Radioguy37, Do you recall what equipment and band the oilfield was using? Around here they used lowband exclusively & could really cover some ground.

Radioguy37

W5KVV Mostly low band, Oil field companies got into radios fairly early so maybe that is why so many were on low band. Probably worked on some Motrac's, Mocom 70s I remember working on some RCA tube types. :-(
Spudder trucks were always nasty oily.
Working on antenna on oil field truck.

Attachments

• Dave at Harold Ray early 80s.jpg
    Dave at Harold Ray early 80s.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 359

Radioguy37

Building a tower for an oil company 1980s

Attachments

• BP Carmi.jpg
    BP Carmi.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 400

Radioguy37

I went to some pretty muddy places to work on oil rigs.

Attachments

• 1978-A-299.jpg
    1978-A-299.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 372

K2NEC

x39MtLz.jpg
Excuse my mess...I'm tired of cleaning since we are moving in less than a month to a new location and have been updating personal radios in my free time.
Ya got enough XTS5000's on your desk?? lol

K2NEC

A ham friend of mine told me a story of when he was a tech for Motorola. It goes something like this:
"A local police department that was coincidentally located near my office came back to us to have one of their HT90's fixed. They said that the previous night an officer got sent to a bar for an intoxicated disorderly person. He gets on scene and the subject pulls a knife on the officer as he grabbed his radio so the officer took a swing at the guy radio in hand. Besides a cracked housing and broken battery latch, the radio was fine however the suspect was knocked unconscious. The radio might have saved my officer's life." He said to me "Just goes to show you the quality of Motorola"

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Ya got enough XTS5000's on your desk?? lol

There's only three. Two VHF M1's and a 7/800 M2. Doesn't show the other two VHF M2's, the missing VHF M1 (which has some issues). Also not counting the BN revision 2500 M2 in view either. (Surprised nothing was mentioned of the two R2600 series monitors).

K2NEC

There's only three. Two VHF M1's and a 7/800 M2. Doesn't show the other two VHF M2's, the missing VHF M1 (which has some issues). Also not counting the BN revision 2500 M2 in view either. (Surprised nothing was mentioned of the two R2600 series monitors).
You are living my dream! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.