• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Basic Freq Programing for CM300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saal

Greetings from Texas! I've got a small issue and need some advice. We found 16 brand new Motorola CM300 VHF while doing inventory. They've been given to me to program for around our facility. I've got the programming cable, CPS 5.17, and a trusty ol' Sony VOI laptop with XP - I'm almost dangerous.

After opening the CPS with CM300 slaved. The GUI seems simple enough, but I'm not understanding how to program frequencies? This interface is very different from CHIRP(Baofeng) and some of the other equipment I deal with. Is there a PDF or reference guide for this software? All I'm trying to do is program 4 DoD approved freq's for use internally around our complex between some golf carts and a couple of trucks - a quick guide or link will appreciated.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Greetings from Texas! I've got a small issue and need some advice. We found 16 brand new Motorola CM300 VHF while doing inventory. They've been given to me to program for around our facility. I've got the programming cable, CPS 5.17, and a trusty ol' Sony VOI laptop with XP - I'm almost dangerous.

After opening the CPS with CM300 slaved. The GUI seems simple enough, but I'm not understanding how to program frequencies? This interface is very different from CHIRP(Baofeng) and some of the other equipment I deal with. Is there a PDF or reference guide for this software? All I'm trying to do is program 4 DoD approved freq's for use internally around our complex between some golf carts and a couple of trucks - a quick guide or link will appreciated.
Cm300's mounted on a golf cart are not a good idea. For instance, do you have a plan for antennas mounted to what's usually a fiberglas body & canopy? Also are you sure the electrical systems are 13.8 vdc ? Also, what about licensing? 73, n9zas

Saal

Thanks for the reply. We're thinking of mounting them in Pelican 1660 cases and they will have self contained dc power sources. Also, looking at Intrinsic safety (IS) issues with deploying them. As far as the license? I'm personally going through the process of ARRL for a basic HAM license. But our current assigned freq's and radios are for underground use only and for a DoD project, in a DoD facility, on DoD land.

So, do you know a reference for freq programing with CPS? I could really use the help.

firefive76

In the tree on the left side of the screen, open "conventional personalities." All of the transmit/rec freq, PL/DPL, etc are in there. To view everything, click "view" at the top of the screen and change it from basic to expert.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
CM300s and PM400 were my favorite of the analog only radios. Full PL changing on the fly...reliable software that runs in both a 32 bit and 64 bit architecture.

Oh, if you want to use it on the ham bands...you need to find CPS 05.16 before you try and write with 05.17. 05.17 and 05.18 are forced narrowband while 05.16 is select-able. I don't know if you can still get the EID for wideband operation on the later two versions.

Saal

The freq's I've been reserved are 4 from 151 - 166mhz. I've got CPS 5.17 but still not understanding the Motorola language or organization of their software. Conventional Personalities are frequency control lists? But I only see a single receive and a transmit freq you can assign to "Pers1". This section of the software also references a drop down list for "Scan List" - what list? If you go to Scan List it prompts you to select Pers1 -4 - I'm in CPS Purgatory....ugh. My 24 Baofengs set up in about 20mins using CHIRP. This software doesn't appear to be very intuitive, unless I'm missing something....theirs got to be a tutorial for this stuff. I was on Motorola's web site, but didn't see anything.

If anyone has screenies of what I'm suppose to be doing feel free.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The freq's I've been reserved are 4 from 151 - 166mhz. I've got CPS 5.17 but still not understanding the Motorola language or organization of their software. Conventional Personalities are frequency control lists? But I only see a single receive and a transmit freq you can assign to "Pers1". This section of the software also references a drop down list for "Scan List" - what list? If you go to Scan List it prompts you to select Pers1 -4 - I'm in CPS Purgatory....ugh. My 24 Baofengs set up in about 20mins using CHIRP. This software doesn't appear to be very intuitive, unless I'm missing something....theirs got to be a tutorial for this stuff. I was on Motorola's web site, but didn't see anything.

If anyone has screenies of what I'm suppose to be doing feel free.
In the tree, click on Conventional Personalities. There is one button and only one button on that screen. It reads Add Conventional Personality There is nothing else on that screen. It should be fairly easy to figure out.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

The personality (called mode in older software) is the channel options. Frequency, power, tones, talk around and signaling. Selecting the personality in the tree and pressing F2 will let you rename (this is the displayed alias).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
CM300s and PM400 were my favorite of the analog only radios. Full PL changing on the fly...reliable software that runs in both a 32 bit and 64 bit architecture.

Oh, if you want to use it on the ham bands...you need to find CPS 05.16 before you try and write with 05.17. 05.17 and 05.18 are forced narrowband while 05.16 is select-able. I don't know if you can still get the EID for wideband operation on the later two versions.
The CP200XLS and PR400 portables are just as flexible. I've got 20 of the CP200XLS in service in the local ambulance squad and they're holding up nicely.

I got the WB EID when it first came out, and recently just ordered 4 more so that I can run the CPS on several different PC's. They are still available for the Commercial Series and the Professional Series.

The Commercial Series was a nice product line. I was sorry to see it go.

Saal

I really appreciate the help on this. I've got the freq issue kind-of fixed. But now I can't program beyond 162.00 in Conv Pers. If I type 166.** for RX and copy to TX it defaults both fields to 162.00.Thoughts? Anyone have the same issue?

Saal

I really appreciate the help on this. I've got the freq issue kind-of fixed. But now I can't program beyond 162.00 in Conv Pers. If I type 166.** for RX and copy to TX it defaults both fields to 162.00.Thoughts? Anyone have the same issue?

Apparently there's two flavors of CM300 VHF and I've got the 136-162mhz..meh, can't complain since they were free to begin with.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
quote"We're thinking of mounting them in Pelican 1660 cases and they will have self contained dc power sources.

We do the same, I have built a number of what we call post radio's (FDNY term) for our Fire Brigade since VHF portables have limited range in our tunnels and in Grand Central Terminal. Early ones used lead acid gel cells, the newer ones now use LiFe batteries, a bit lighter. A note to the builder, you need to have a sufficient ground plane or the unit will lock up in transmit. I had our tin knockers make a sheet metal plate that covers the entire interior. The battery is mounted on the interior cover with a sheet metal bracket that is also attached the the larger ground plane. Also you need to insulate the antenna to prevent some one from recieving a RF burn while transmitting.

The programming is a bit different than the CDM but as described above not that difficult.

Saal

quote"We're thinking of mounting them in Pelican 1660 cases and they will have self contained dc power sources.

We do the same, I have built a number of what we call post radio's (FDNY term) for our Fire Brigade since VHF portables have limited range in our tunnels and in Grand Central Terminal. Early ones used lead acid gel cells, the newer ones now use LiFe batteries, a bit lighter. A note to the builder, you need to have a sufficient ground plane or the unit will lock up in transmit. I had our tin knockers make a sheet metal plate that covers the entire interior. The battery is mounted on the interior cover with a sheet metal bracket that is also attached the the larger ground plane. Also you need to insulate the antenna to prevent some one from recieving a RF burn while transmitting.

The programming is a bit different than the CDM but as described above not that difficult.

I'll mention the grounding to my guy - thanks. By the way, we do collaborative MSHA training with our local fire department Technical Emergency Response Training (TERT) teams too. We happen to run into these CM300's, so we figured we'd do some sub-t commo experimenting with them and some other radios. RX and TX is brutal for us due to the concrete and turns underground. If anything we'll probably rig them as repeaters at junctions to help with LOS problems. VHF does appear to not be working out very well so far - I keep picking up Walmart employee bleed over - weird.

Project25_MASTR

I'll mention the grounding to my guy - thanks. By the way, we do collaborative MSHA training with our local fire department Technical Emergency Response Training (TERT) teams too. We happen to run into these CM300's, so we figured we'd do some sub-t commo experimenting with them and some other radios. RX and TX is brutal for us due to the concrete and turns underground. If anything we'll probably rig them as repeaters at junctions to help with LOS problems. VHF does appear to not be working out very well so far - I keep picking up Walmart employee bleed over - weird.

What is your PL set to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

There were two choices - DPL and TPL. I toggled DPL and CPS auto assigned "23" to my frequencies.

That is just the default DPL tone. If you use the PL/DPL make sure whatever you use matches both the receive and transmit side of the radios. I'd change your tone to a higher number and uncheck the HUB defeats PL option in the general settings tab near the top of the tree. That should filter out any noise you are hearing from walmart.

Saal

I'll plug in CPS at lunch and see what happens - thanks! I was picking up WalMart and some pawn shops, but hopefully this will give my group some privacy and negate any OPSEC issues above ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.