• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 Software "Communication with radio failed."

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhan00

I have an old XTS3000. I am trying to use the software: Astro Saber & XTS 3000 CPS. The exact version is R05.03.00.

Whenever I try to connect to the device over the COM port, I receive the error message "Communication with radio failed."

I have tried dozens of configurations - in a VM on Windows 7, Windows XP, on a real computer on Windows 7, no dice any way. I have tried 2 USB to serial converters and a hardware serial device.

With the WinXP VM and the USB to serial converter, the radio beeped once and displayed CSO, but that's the farthest I have gotten.

Any ideas? I am out of ideas about what is wrong. Could it be the actual cable to the radio? It is a Chinese-made device, no power - and some of the older ones seemed to want power sources.

Thank you

jim202

Let me chime in and make a few comments. First of all. the Motorola software was never designed to run under a virtual machine inside of Windows. I know people do it, but I don't suggest it be done.

Some of the older software was wrote to only work in or under DOS. Not from inside Windows in a DOS window or under DOS BOX as some seem to be able to get away with. Plus the older software doesn't know what a USB connection is. But again you will read that some people have found the correct USB to serial converter and it works. But I don't recommend that you program the radios with this combination.

If the radio uses a DOS based software, run it under that operating system. If it needs a serial connection, run a computer with a true serial connection. You can find older computers that some of the computer repair shops may just have laying around with a serial port. I have one locally that I visit frequently and can pick some up.

You might have to rebuild the hard drive or even replace it and load the software again. I tend to use 80 GB hard drives and format them with the FAT-32 format. This way DOS can use the drive as well as Windows. Make 2 partitions on the hard drive. Use about 20 GB for DOS and then you can load Windows-XP in the remaining space. This allows you to use an Ethernet connection to move files to other computers as well as get on the Internet.

The RIB that is being mentioned is an interface box to translate the signal levels between the computer and the radio. You plug the programming cable from the radio into the RIB. On the other side of the RIB is a serial cable that goes to the serial port of the computer. Most of the older radios use this type of connection interface. On the newer radios, many of them use Windows software compatible for programming the radios and you can get a USB cable to go directly between the radio and the computer.

So the bottom line here is what radio, what software it uses and that determines if a USB cable is available. On the older radios that need a serial connection, I can normally make my own programming cables. It just takes some soldering skill and the connectors.

Nine29

That's what I'm using. Hm..then it must be a software issue? In other words, not in a VM, natively.
This'll be a challenge...

I bought a cheap Dell laptop with a serial port and XP loaded and used the cable to program four XTS3000's using CPS. Worked fine for me...

farhan00

I bought a cheap Dell laptop with a serial port and XP loaded and used the cable to program four XTS3000's using CPS. Worked fine for me...

I'm about 30 seconds away from getting one off Craigslist. Before I do, will it work on Windows 7?

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Computer needs to be 32bit or slower. I have never seen CPS work as a virtual machine. You need XP as the OS. I use Win2K for the Astro Saber and XTS3000

N4KVE

Get a XP machine with a real serial port. The ribless cable works fine for me. Many USB to serial adapters will not work for radio programming.

I've run that very software, both ways. I've used a Windows 7 machine in XP Mode (with a USB-Serial converter, RIB box, and OEM cable), and I've used a true XP machine with a serial port (with RIB and OEM cable). Both options worked just fine for me. I've also had no problems with MTS software, using the above mentioned methods.

Just my two cents.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of serial USB adaptors that do the beep CSQ then fail..........the Cables2Go blue one does that error on my Windows 7 installs. I switched to "Iogear USB to Serial RS-232 Adapter with PC and Mac Drivers #GUC232A $16.95" one, and have not had a single CPS issue since.

I should mention that my CPS's are run off of Windows 7 32 bit VM on a Macbook Pro, and I have to admit, it has better compatibility and reliability than my old Dell laptops with serial ports and CPS. I am also told Windows 64bit doesn't play well with devices that require COM ports and serial to USB converters, something to do with how things are assigned in the OS.

Paul

farhan00

There are a lot of serial USB adaptors that do the beep CSQ then fail..........the Cables2Go blue one does that error on my Windows 7 installs. I switched to "Iogear USB to Serial RS-232 Adapter with PC and Mac Drivers #GUC232A $16.95" one, and have not had a single CPS issue since.

I should mention that my CPS's are run off of Windows 7 32 bit VM on a Macbook Pro, and I have to admit, it has better compatibility and reliability than my old Dell laptops with serial ports and CPS. I am also told Windows 64bit doesn't play well with devices that require COM ports and serial to USB converters, something to do with how things are assigned in the OS.

Paul

So, if I read you correctly, you're saying it might be an issue with the USB adapter?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That is highly likely......the fact that the CPS is seeing the radio, but the communications attempt then fails, seems to indicate that the COM adaptor may be the problem. As I said, I had that same CSQ timeout failure error on several (including Cables2Go) that was driving me crazy (on Astro Spectra and XTS3000 CPS) until I found the Iogear adaptor.

Paul

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
My recommendation: For programming any non-current Motorola radio, other than the really old ones that need to run RSS under DOS, get a Dell Latitude D630 or D830 or something in that series.

And you want to run it under XP. NOT Windows 7. It's more stable under XP for this application plus that family of laptops is marginal for 7.

Dedicate this laptop to programming radios and nothing else.

If you have newer radios to program, (APX series, for example) then get a second hard drive to plug
into the drive bay and install 7 on that drive and then install the APX (or whatever) CPS on it. Run 7 in XP mode so it doesn't eat too many resources.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have an old small (14") Dell D630, which I use for dual boot Win 7 32bit and DOS 7.1. I put a cheap SSD in it, and it boot's like a modern day low end laptop. The D630 is compact, and doesn't feel like most larger old laptops which seem to flop at the hing. It has a serial port, and Windows 7 32 bit is happy with all CPS and the DOS 7.1 runs any RSS I have thrown at it. I think it has a 1440x900 screen to boot? :)

D630 is a 2007 era laptop, so it was alive and on the market when Windows 7 32 and Astro CPS was still "shipping".

Paul

lamonttreid

Premium Subscriber
I too run the Astro Saber & XTS3000 R05.03.00 version cps on my XP machine. Its an old Gateway desktop from like 2005, and I connect to the XTS3000 with an IOGEAR GUC232A, usb to serial adapter. It has no issues with connectivity. When I tried to run it on Windows 7, I couldn't get it to connect at all. Not on a Virtual Machine, compatibility mode, changing ports, NOTHING. I too have that same ribless Ebay cable mentioned by Nine29 in post #5

radioguy99

The XTS3000 uses the R5.03.00 CPS which is windows based. The cable is the SAME as the HT1000/JT1000 and Jedi series radios. The XTS3500 is the ONLY one that runs under DOS and that is also a radio that uses the Jedi series programming cables. Use either a 9 pin serial ribless cable or a true Motorola JEDI series programming cable that uses the RIB box. I have programmed over 500 of these radios over the course of the year. The other problem these radios have is the mic sidejack will get corroded and not allow communication between the radio and computer. For this just use rubbing alcohol and an eraser to get the corrosion off the jack.

If your using a USB, make sure your using the correct driver for the type of OS your using. XP drivers will not work on Windows 7 or higher and vice versa. This is why a lot of techs try to stay away from USB cables as they are too much of a hassle.

If that is all fine then here is the other steps to use:

1. Open up the CPS
2. Go directly too (File) and click on that
3. Click on (Read Device) and see which com ports are available in the drop down menu. If you have several, then go into your computers hardware parameters and locate which com port your serial cable is on and set this in your software and you should be fine. That is providing the cable is also working.

If you just click the (read button) on the top left below the (file) button, you won't get anywhere except a dead end.

I program all radios from Maxtracs too APX's and this seems to be a common issue.

Hopefully this helps or you got everything working smoothly now.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I have run CPS for XTS3K in the native XP VM under WIN7 Pro 64 bit.

I use a real serial port with Kawamall cable and it READS/WRITES fine.

Sometimes after reconfiguring the VM it requires a reboot of the VM.

Ivy Bridge E over clocked to 4.25 GB with 64 GB RAM, I use it for DAW and video editing AND programming my XTS-APX radios.

Craig

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
xts programmoing

A Windows XP 32 bit computer is a good machine for any older Windows CPS. I have had very good luck with cables from Kawamall on ebay. I have one for my xts radios and another for the EFJ radios They do require a real serial port, so an older computer is necessary,

Status
Not open for further replies.