• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX Unified Call List Import from CSV

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1GTL

Database Admin
A friend and I (mostly the friend) have come up with a program that will automatically create a Unified Call List XML file suitable for importing into an APX radio. Basically, a customer can provide a spreadsheet with the proper information and in about 2.3 seconds, this program will take the spreadsheet and create the XML file.

We have done this on the premise that there are 2 conventional systems created in the APX CPS and they are the default names (Cnv Sys 1 - ASTRO & Cnv Sys 2 - MDC).

The CSV file needs the following in order:
Column A: Contact Name
Column B: MDC ID
Column C: Astro25 Conventional ID
Column D: Astro25 Trunk ID

Not all fields are required. If only an Astro25 Conventional ID is needed, columns B and D can be blank.

If anyone out there has a spreadsheet with a lot of contacts and even one of the ID columns, I'd love to get a copy and test it out and troubleshoot anything that may have been missed. I'll move the columns around if necessary. I just don't want to create a spreadsheet with 200+ contacts; I'd rather have a real life list. I'll even provide XML files back for importing into your APX code plug.

Please private message me for my contact information.

Thanks,
Jim

N1GTL

Database Admin
It's still a work in progress. Validation is being added. If any invalid characters are entered, it will report the errors. Likewise if the contact name is greater than 14 characters, it will report that back. Its also going to make sure there are not duplicate contact names.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Its also going to make sure there are not duplicate contact names.

The APX UCL allows for up to five IDs to be assigned to a single contact name, so take that into consideration for any validation routines. Simply preventing any duplicate contact names would be counterproductive.

N1GTL

Database Admin
The APX UCL allows for up to five IDs to be assigned to a single contact name, so take that into consideration for any validation routines. Simply preventing any duplicate contact names would be counterproductive.

If I duplicate a contact name, it gets highlighted in red. I understand numbers may be duplicated but I don't thing the contact name can. As far as the IDs I'm just making sure an MDC ID is nothing but hex values and digital IDs are numbers, not letters and no more than 8 digits.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You cannot have duplicate contact names in the UCL itself (that is to say, when looking at the list in CPS all contact names must be unique). However, since you can assign up to five IDs to a contact name, it wouldn't be unusual for the spreadsheet or csv used for importing to contain rows with duplicate contact names. (Note that the limit of five IDs per contact name takes into account the combined total of different types of IDs assigned; MDC, P25 Conventional, ASTRO 25, etc.)

I'm not sure why you had difficultly making sense of adardam's UCL Builder, it's pretty straightforward. That being said, an "offline" program that accomplishes the same would be handy, should his website go belly up. I'm watching this thread with interest.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I still have not gotten any senders offering a spreadsheet for me to test. I am sure, somewhere out there, someone must have a spreadsheet with a few hundred contacts and MDC, Astro25 Conv and/or trunked ID's. I'm offering to proved the XML for nothing. I typed in 15 contacts with a mix of the above systems and it worked. I have not tested it with the error checking features.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I got your file. The first problem was 55,000 records which is way above the limit of an APX UCL. No biggie, I just deleted a bunch.

The second issue I ran into is duplication of call signs. The UCL must have a unique contact, no duplicates. One of your contacts had 7 DMR ID's. The program did not like that. There was also one row with no call sign. Again, that's an issue.

What you sent was exactly what I wanted so I can test things out and create error checking. The program will report back unusable values so they can be corrected.

Thank you. I will be working on this more tonight.

sfd119

I'm just not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel here? The UCL import tool I linked above works flawless and has been used by a lot of people.

N1GTL

Database Admin
I'm just not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel here? The UCL import tool I linked above works flawless and has been used by a lot of people.

I couldn't figure it out and I have a strong enough programing ability to write my own.

xcrownvicx

Premium Subscriber
A friend and I (mostly the friend) have come up with a program that will automatically create a Unified Call List XML file suitable for importing into an APX radio. Basically, a customer can provide a spreadsheet with the proper information and in about 2.3 seconds, this program will take the spreadsheet and create the XML file.

We have done this on the premise that there are 2 conventional systems created in the APX CPS and they are the default names (Cnv Sys 1 - ASTRO & Cnv Sys 2 - MDC).

The CSV file needs the following in order:
Column A: Contact Name
Column B: MDC ID
Column C: Astro25 Conventional ID
Column D: Astro25 Trunk ID

Not all fields are required. If only an Astro25 Conventional ID is needed, columns B and D can be blank.

If anyone out there has a spreadsheet with a lot of contacts and even one of the ID columns, I'd love to get a copy and test it out and troubleshoot anything that may have been missed. I'll move the columns around if necessary. I just don't want to create a spreadsheet with 200+ contacts; I'd rather have a real life list. I'll even provide XML files back for importing into your APX code plug.

Please private message me for my contact information.

Thanks,
Jim

Hi i'm trying to add some more contacts into my APX8000 radio but i'm having difficultly understanding the UCL builder. I exported the unified call list to cheat off of it but i'm still having trouble. My private message is not working.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Hi i'm trying to add some more contacts into my APX8000 radio but i'm having difficultly understanding the UCL builder. I exported the unified call list to cheat off of it but i'm still having trouble. My private message is not working.

Exporting the UCL will give you an XML file that may be tricky to figure out unless you've done and understand some level of programming.

xcrownvicx

Premium Subscriber
Exporting the UCL will give you an XML file that may be tricky to figure out unless you've done and understand some level of programming.

I do have a very good understanding with radio programming. Im really good with analog conventional programming but not so much with the trunking. Would you be able to help me through it.

xcrownvicx

Premium Subscriber
I was referring to COMPUTER programming.

Yes I do have skill in computer programming. Would you be able to assist me with this. I have tried for many hours to try and figure this out. I really want this to work out for my company and others to come in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.