• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 2500 flash/programming??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kody_021

I recently purchased a couple of XTS2500 BN from a state agency for our Rural FD and when I got them home and went to write to them, the screen is reading UNPROGRAMMED and will not let me rewrite to them.

At this point what is the best thing to do? Do they need to be re-flashed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
So when you went to write them are you getting any errors on the CPS screen?

Kody_021

Yes it was giving an error code, not in front of the computer or I'd give you the code. Had another gent take a look at it and he advised that they were basically factory reset. He said he believes that he can fix them with RRS, but I haven't heard back from him today.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Yes it was giving an error code, not in front of the computer or I'd give you the code. Had another gent take a look at it and he advised that they were basically factory reset. He said he believes that he can fix them with RRS, but I haven't heard back from him today.

I've ran into an issue in the past we're the PC lost connection to the radio (an XTS 5000) during the write process due to a windows update and it gave me a Fail 01/82 error on the radio. Luckily I was still able to write a codeplug over it when it showed that error. The radio would power on but it wouldn't do anything but show the error.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Could be possible that the radios are password protected. Were you able to read the radios?

SCPD

QRT
Sometimes if you have the original codeplug or matching you can recover ideally you want the original if possible. If one is crammed in be sure to have the radio tuned and aligned after to be on safe side.

Unprogrammed could mean a channel and zone isn't Programed. If the radio gives a error it'll be 01/xx or similiar. If it's basic programming meaning no channels, personalities, are in it then you'd just need to create your zones, channels, link personalities etc.

Kody_021

Yes you can read the radios, but the radio screen just reads Unprogrammed when they are powered on.

Correct there aren't any channels or zones.

ME801

Double checking that when you write to the radio you have a channel programmed in the zone you have selected? IE Channel 1 in Zone 1 is programmed to "Fire Disp" and you entered the correct frequencies with the CPS?

yaknamedjak

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can read the radios, but the radio screen just reads Unprogrammed when they are powered on.

Correct there aren't any channels or zones.

....if you can read the radio, create some zones and channels and write it? Right?

lskipper

Premium Subscriber
Turn off the scan. It might trying to scan something that is not programmed in the radio. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kody_021

Ok so from talking to the radio guy that does our county radio work, he said that the radios have not been programmed since 2006 and when the agency that sold them wiped them, they wiped everything. I'm not fluent in all the radio terms, but he said the firmware needs to be updated. We have access to RRS, but apparently we need the upgraded firmware, will that have to come from Moto?

com501

Flash upgrade will require a refresh key and the current firmware and CPS. Flash refreshes are $75 each from Moto if they still sell them. Software and firmware is on MOL if you have an account.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
If the screen says "UNPROGRAMMED" it means that the knob position you are on has no channel assigned to it. This is normal. You can't delete the last zone/channel in CPS and every zone has to have at least 1 channel in it.

Rotate the channel knob through all 16 positions (try channel 1) first and see if it corrects the issue.

Failing that.. Read the radio, go to Zone Channel Assignment, and see what is going on in that zone.

Also what error are you getting when you try to write to the radio?

cmdrwill

You can not just jam something in there.
You always have to READ the radio first. SAVE that file to a safe place just in case of problems

"Read the radio, go to Zone Channel Assignment, and see what is going on in that zone."

Then add the 'channels' you want. Then put that into the radio.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Flash upgrade will require a refresh key and the current firmware and CPS. Flash refreshes are $75 each from Moto if they still sell them. Software and firmware is on MOL if you have an account.

They stopped selling them 12/31/2016

com501

It's impossible LEGALLY without the purchased refresh key through appropriate channels.

evfd1625

It's slim pickings finding places with leftover refresh flashes. Eventually they'll end up like the FDNY knob for the XTS5000...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.