RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 4:14 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default APX7000XE noise cancelling option

I understand the APX7000XE has rather good background noise suppression technology. I recently bought an APX7000XE and would like to enable the noise suppression on my digital channels.

I watched this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUxAw55O1rg) on youtube and was fairly impressed. I know both the XE RSM which the second guy uses and the first guy uses just the radio, both have dual mics.

What options in the CPS do I have to edit and apply to my digital channels to get these results?

I know there's an XTREME 1 Sided noise option, is that what I want to add to the digital channel profiles? Do I need to edit any of the settings in XTREME 1 SIDE or is fine the way it is originally in the CPS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by SlipNutz15; 06-09-2017 at 4:20 AM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-09-2017, 4:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default APX7000XE noise cancelling option

We have used this function at work and for most of our radios, it has been a TERRIBLE option! It has actually nearly completely suppressed the users voice, even on the roadside with traffic at 70 mph.

To me it's a good concept but the technology behind this function leaves much to be desired, and creates safety concerns.

Just kind of throwing my two cents in there. I suggest looking into this function to make sure it will function properly with your radio and its uses.

Andrew | N2AL
Nurture your mind with great thought. To believe in the heroic makes heroes. - Benjamin Disraeli
Old 06-09-2017, 10:01 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is the kind of information I'm looking for, real world. Anyone else have any experience with this feature?
Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipNutz15 View Post
I understand the APX7000XE has rather good background noise suppression technology. I recently bought an APX7000XE and would like to enable the noise suppression on my digital channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We use this feature and it works great!!!!

It took a few hours of tweaking the settings but we can stand next to a K12 saw at full throttle and the persons voice on the other end is perfectly clear.

You need someone who knows what they are doing with the programming, Most Motorola shops don't have people who really know how to program and rely on Motorola to help them(and Motorola has no real word experience), Lucky for us our Motorola shop has a great programmer and he has spent a lot of time figuring this feature out for us.
Old 06-11-2017, 4:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

What kind of tweaking, can you explain? I thought it was a feature that you would turn on or off.
Sponsored links
Old 06-11-2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng645 View Post
What kind of tweaking, can you explain? I thought it was a feature that you would turn on or off.
It's programmed into the radio profile. You can set up several profiles and select them through either mode (trunk or conventional personality) or zone selection, I don't recall which. So, you can't specifically turn it on or off, but can with careful design of your zone and mode programming.
Old 06-11-2017, 7:02 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

zz0468, can you provide me with specific information about what was modified or send me a PM so we can talk about getting a copy of your radio's codeplug so I can copy it that way?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-12-2017, 1:27 AM

Yes, but I'm traveling for a few days and won't be able to get to a computer to open a codeplug to provide details until late this week.
Old 06-12-2017, 2:10 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok. I'll wait patiently. Thank you, sir.
Old 06-12-2017, 7:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I would be interested in the settings your using also, I was using the extreme sided settings with an APX8000 and during normal communication, the volume was pretty low and distant.
Old 06-12-2017, 8:58 AM

I would be interested in your settings also as we do a lot of chain saw work. I don't know if you want to post them here or send in a PM. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Here's the info you guys have been waiting for...

In CPS, in the navigation window, open the Radio Ergonomics​ Configuration branch, then go to Radio Profiles. Under Radio Profiles, you can create profiles with different behaviors of lights, speakers, audio response, mic gain, and noise reduction. You can create any reasonable number of different configurations with different sets of parameters. This is where you would change these items.

Under Zone Channel Assignment, this is where you assign a trunked talk group or conventional mode, name, personality, etc. One of the items assignable by individual mode is the Radio Profiles created in the Radio Ergonomics section mentioned above.

The desired audio characteristics would then be built into a profile, and the desired profile selected by mode. You could then have several otherwise identical modes with different mic gain and noise reduction characteristics you could manually switch through.

I hope that's what you guys are looking for. I'll leave out specific details of what my radio does because you really need to see what works for your particular use. You should now be able to easily change settings and experiment to see what you like.
Old 06-16-2017, 6:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I would like to know what your particular audio settings are so I can get a starting point, if you don't mind.
Old 06-16-2017, 7:16 PM

As mentioned by zz0468, you assign the Profile on the Zone Channel Assignment screen. If you set that field to "Last Selected" and then assign a menu item for Prfl, you are able to select any of the created profiles from any channel at any time. Keep the "Default" Profile unchanged and you can select it via the menu to go back to normal, default operation at your convenience.
Old 06-16-2017, 7:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I understand where the profiles are and how to either make them permanent or have the user able to switch between them, I'm looking for a starting point and/or a copy of his codeplug since the N2AL said he had horrible results with the default XTREME profile and zz0468 said he worked with someone and it worked well.
Old 06-18-2017, 8:18 PM

I primarily​ use Noise Reduction "normal", and Gain/Sensitivity "reduce feedback" settings. Those are the settings that I have found to sound most natural, which is a desired characteristic for what I use the radio for. I can't share a copy of the codeplug, it's not for public consumption.

My settings work well in a controlled relatively quiet environment, and I'm just as happy with noise reduction turned off. The Gain/Sensitivity setting does an ok job of reducing background noise without adding weird artifacts to the audio quality.

Other users like fire and LE will probably have problems with my settings.

Last edited by zz0468; 06-18-2017 at 8:28 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 8:35 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm looking for a setting for LE and FD purposes...
Old 06-18-2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipNutz15 View Post
I'm looking for a setting for LE and FD purposes...
Just use the normal noise reduction for starters. I wouldn't change from that unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Any further processing of the audio comes with a price, usually intelligibility.

Last edited by zz0468; 06-18-2017 at 9:33 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 6:33 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

APX7500X2, you said you guys have used these features. Any way for you to provide your audio level settings? Screenshots or whatever. I'm not looking for your entire codeplug unless you have nothing to hide.

Tags
apx7000, apx7000xe, cancelling, noise, programming