• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS3000 VHF Problem. No audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flagfixer2

Premium Subscriber
Our Ham club was gifted several VHF XTS3000 portables. 4 seem to have the same problem. Not sure if it is a programming issue or what.

Turn the radio on. Green light glows. Chirp sounds followed by a BOOP. Red TX light continuously flashes like it is receiving something. I can not get receive audio out of any of these portables. Transmit audio is fine. Any frequency I program for receive does the same chirp, boop and flash routine. I have some other XTS3000 that work fine. I tried to clone to the latest group and no joy. Four portables do the chirp,boop and flash routine. Got any ideas as I have run out.
JimB

bk117

Our Ham club was gifted several VHF XTS3000 portables. 4 seem to have the same problem. Not sure if it is a programming issue or what.

Turn the radio on. Green light glows. Chirp sounds followed by a BOOP. Red TX light continuously flashes like it is receiving something. I can not get receive audio out of any of these portables. Transmit audio is fine. Any frequency I program for receive does the same chirp, boop and flash routine. I have some other XTS3000 that work fine. I tried to clone to the latest group and no joy. Four portables do the chirp,boop and flash routine. Got any ideas as I have run out.

JimB

I will assume that they are model ones, since you did not mention any error codes that appear on the displays. My immediate first guess would be that the codeplug is set for secure and there are no encryption hybrid's installed. If the "boop" was continuous, my second guess would be that the radio is attempting to scan an empty scan list. Unfortunately I am too tired to ponder I third guess. Good luck[emoji853]

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
First off I'd check and see if the concentric switch (has the Ø logo) is set for secure operation. Then I'd check and see if the personality is strapped secure, then check to see if secure hardware is enabled. A lot of government surplus Astro Sabers and XTS3000s had the UCM's in them and many people stripped them out before reselling/re-gifting the radios.

Flagfixer2

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000

Well, thanks for suggestions. I unprogrammed all the buttons and switches, checked for secure and just don't seem to find anything. I did find that the limited audio during the "service" check involving button pushing 5 times etc yielded a very low crackling sound instead of a healthy unsquelched sound. Must be some sort of cable issue or maybe some board was removed. Have not taken any apart yet. I am easily frustrated in my old age :) I can supply the original code plug if someone wants to play.
JimB

Flagfixer2

Premium Subscriber
Got it!! Encryption

These particular XTS 3000 came with encryption boards. Thanks, Charles !! Keyloader etc to make them usable.

crazyboy

Disable the encryption in cps. Shoot me a pm if you want the codeplug looked at.

Flagfixer2

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000

Encryption boards have been removed by someone prior to us getting them. I guess they are paper weights, now.
I took a couple apart and that is what I found. . . empty space. Thanks to all you guys. I should have thought to look inside before trying to program. Getting old is no fun!!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You should be able to disable the encryption in the CPS and the radios should function.

southbound44

JimB
I have four with the same audio problem. Do the ones with the encryption boards work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.