• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX6000XE: Original Availability Date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckyswider

Hey all, I'm trying to reverse engineer lifecycle information for APX 6000 XE 2.5 portables.

As some may have seen in the "general" forum: We just received and are about to place into service a full complement (for our company that's 36) APX 6000 XE 2.5 portables. And I've also now seen a Motorola announcement that these model numbers (H98UCF9PW6AN) are now a "legacy" model with support only until the end of 2023 (there is an "enhanced" model currently on the market, model H98UCF9PW6BN,)

Does anyone have any info on when these portables were first released? I'm trying to figure out if we were just put into a situation where we ordered radios near the end of their sales life, and then got caught in a deployment delay due to circumstances beyond our control, and now are saddled with radios with a net cost of $1.68/day over their supported lifecycle.

Also, does anyone have similar info on XTS2500 / XTS5000? We purchased our current radios in 2003. Nothing wrong with them, but we were forced to replace them since M said that there would be no more support after 2019. So we're forced to ditch these 16 year radios for 6 year radios (at 1.5x the cost, too). We're a mid-sized volly company running about 500 calls a year, so we don't have the wear-and-tear that larger departments would face, so we don't have to replace these on a shorter schedule.

I know you guys are really being helpful with alternate hardware suggestions, but at this point we're way past that point. And procurement is done via the township, who gets them from the county, who purchases from a reseller, so it's gonna take a lot of work to effect any influence at all there. Not that I won't try, mind you, if no satisfaction is found for this dilemma, but it's not something germane to the issue at hand.

Thanks!

buckyswider

I stumbled upon a link which had the announcement for APX 6000XE availability in March, 2011. So the lifecycle for this radio is 12 years, 9 months. I'd love to now find the XTS5000 and XTS2500 availability dates to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.