• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR 3500 or 3500e as a scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbruno82630

I was looking into having a motorola portable as a scanner. Yes I understand it can only scan a select amount of channels at a time as its a radio, but I was wondering if it would be a smart idea. The radio is as much as a scanner that I want and I feel that the radio is a better choice due to the battery capacity and radio build. I will have the person im buying it from program it for me so that wont be an issue. I was thinking about the XPR 3500 or the XPR 3500E does anyone know the difference between the both? I was also concerned of mdc1200 key ups working properly on these models. Will the chirps work properly and be a short noise instead of a longer burst? Lastly when they program it for me how do zones work? Are those like banks for the uniden scanner number? How many banks are there? How many channels are permitted per bank? Please provide any information that would be very useful and radio recomendations for this use and please note that I would get it programmed only to monitor not talk.

N1GTL

Database Admin
If you're getting it only to monitor, why are you concerned with MCD1200 "key up chirps"?

Buy a scanner. You don't have the software to make changes and you WILL want changes.

sbruno82630

Its important to recieve them properly on my end when theyre transmitting. So that they are short chirps and not long bursts. I would prefer a radio because theyre cheaper, built better, and they sound better. I really wouldnt need to make changes as ill have every channel in my county programed basically.

cmdrwill

I was also concerned of mdc1200 key ups working properly on these models. Will the chirps work properly and be a short noise instead of a longer burst? .

You would need a radio that has Data Operated Squelch to shorten up those irritating MDC squawks. DOS is a receiver option. I use a Motorola Jedi to monitor one system that repeats the dammed MDC.

I do not know if any of the Motobro stuff has DOS.

clbsquared

Assuming your county is analog conventional, and will remain that way, the radio you've selected will be fine. IF, your county decides to change their system and migrate to any type of digital trunking, you're not going to be able to monitor it with that radio. Just some food for thought. Scanners may seem expensive on the surface, but they have the ability to decode a host of different system types.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It is a digital radio, yes.... but only DMR/MotoTRBO digital. Nothing more, nothing else. And the only way it'll work with encryption is if you have the key, obviously.

You can have 16 channels in a zone and I believe a max of 51 zones. Your scan lists will be limited to 16 channels per list, and you can only have 1 list active at a time. You'll also need the MotoTRBO CPS and programming cable to program the radio.

If you just want to scan analog, buy a scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.