• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Spectra Railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

800trashman

I have searched extensively, and found nada, please forgive me if I am searching the wrong thing. I have a Astro Spectra RR radio, and looking to use it indoors via the 13.8, with a Astron power unit. As you know these units have the 72v plug on the unit. I am not good at wiring at all, and looking to see if there is a converter that is made somewhere that will allow me to plug into that plug on the radio and connect to my Astron power unit? Any help is much appreciated!

com501

Google the pin out and get the polarity correct the first time. Don't blow up an irreplaceble radio.

800trashman

Google the pin out and get the polarity correct the first time. Don't blow up an irreplaceble radio.

Exactly!, That is why I was looking for a pre-made unit, that I could not screw up!! I have this from Batlabs, but is greek to me...

(The pinouts of the connectors on the radio go like this:

Power connector:

A --- +72 volts
B --- -13.8 volts
C --- - 72 volts
D --- +13.8 volts
Use only A and C for railroad 72 volt (nominal 64V supply) power, or B and D for 13.8 volt (nominal 12V supply). The 72 volt supply floats; the 13.8 volt supply is negative ground.)

Is there a connector sold somewhere that would let me just plug into the wall - or my power unit?

com501

That connector is a pretty standard Amphenol/Cannon style connector. You can get them from Mouser or Newark electronics. The Motorola manual (if you can find one) may have a parts breakdown showing the manufacturer part number. Batlabs is a good resource and if you do not have the rear connector, someone there may be able to offer you a resolution.

The rear connector (if you have it) will have the pin numbers somewhere on the housing, and you can de-pin the connector and swap the wires to the correct pins.

800trashman

So if B is my negative, and D is my positive on the 13.8, any reason why I cant use the Red and Black wires from my Astron power unit and somehow couple them with the Amphenol/Cannon style connector and get power that way?

com501

No problem at all. I would try to source that connector, it makes it a LOT easier.

com501

Remember that Railroad Spectra are FLOATING GROUND. Make sure you wire both the positive and negative leads to the connector and not chassis.

Josh

Whether you use 70vdc or 12vdc, both are filtered and sent through a DC DC converter for isolation. It's the radio that's grounded, not the power source.

800trashman

Whether you use 70vdc or 12vdc, both are filtered and sent through a DC DC converter for isolation. It's the radio that's grounded, not the power source.

So if I use my Astron power unit (thus giving me an on off switch), add the Amphenol connector with B & D ports connected to red and black , and not worry about adding a ground wire?

800trashman

Can anyone advise what the antenna connector is on the Astro Spectra RR radio? Is it the standard mini uhf? Thanks

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
No it's not. Every Motorola mobile radio from the Maxtrac line going forward uses a MINI UHF connector.

Which I hate...but at least it fits through a small hole.

Does this look like a PL-259 to ANYBODY?

MOTOROLA-Astro-Spectra-T99DX-131W-800MHz-Mobile-Radio-35W-_57.jpg

12dbsinad

Which I hate...

You're not alone. But it does generate a lot of service calls for radio issues only to find a loose mini UHF..
I would much rather see them use something like a TNC like GE used on some of their radios. At least it has a gasket to tighten against and is much less subject to loosening.

Does this look like a PL-259 to ANYBODY?

It looks like a F connector. I have ran across many F connectors threaded on a spectra and the like. Threaded on with a pair of pliers of course.

mancow

Database Admin
You're not alone. But it does generate a lot of service calls for radio issues only to find a loose mini UHF..
I would much rather see them use something like a TNC like GE used on some of their radios. At least it has a gasket to tighten against and is much less subject to loosening.

It looks like a F connector. I have ran across many F connectors threaded on a spectra and the like. Threaded on with a pair of pliers of course.

It's a mini-uhf.

Josh

The railroad version, if it's the clean-cab model will have a standard PL259 connection, but from what it sounds like, the original poster does not have the actual radio in their possession.

800trashman

The railroad version, if it's the clean-cab model will have a standard PL259 connection, but from what it sounds like, the original poster does not have the actual radio in their possession.

This looks like a mini uhf to me, no?

Attachments

• MASRR (9).jpg
    MASRR (9).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 172

jim202

That my friend is what many people call an SO-239. It's the female connector that mates with a PL-259. You use a standard PL-259 connector on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.