• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS 5000 Trunking Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivera293

Ive programmed my motorola xts to not affiliate and scan my county. It receives audio and works fine but somehow my city police traffic is not being picked up entirely. By this i mean the following; the radio picked up the dispatch audio “unit 250 conducting a traffic stop’ and gives the drivers info but then i cant hear the returns of the drivers info given by dispatch. Other times i just hear a unit say 10/4. Does anyone know yh I’m missing some traffic, do i need a better antenna?

clbsquared

Often times dispatch will send the info to the officers MDT and will not read the info over the air. That could be one reason you're not hearing it. And sometimes they will change to a secure channel for sensitive information. What agency are you trying to monitor?

SCPD

QRT
Our county just switched several weeks ago to p25 9600 baud. One system i couldn't receve well and was missing calls so I had the radio aligned you have to look on eBay for that info then I noticed some lag time and how long it took to pick up the talk groups then I noticed one system sometimes I can hear and sometimes I couldn't and I come to learn that set it for smart Zone in the coverage field that wacn id use 0001 or any number other than the correct one and i statred reveiveing a system i knew i should be able to receive it works great now dosent miss a beat

rivera293

So what your suggesting me to do is to look at the WCAN ID and change it as well as the smartzone coverage? And finally are you in ford county Equalizer245?

SCPD

QRT
No but the wcan id the same as my county in South Carolina I had already had my radio aligned and we're still having the same issue with one of the simulcast sites and now remember seeing in a video that wcan they had put one in there said it wasn't needed so I tried that and it worked so I'm not sure why but has something to do with affiliation I don't know I just know I have no issues now

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
So try 0001 and smart zone on for coverage type make sure you in a good location sometimes even tho we receive the control channel well you could be just a spot the voice Channel might not be coming in As Good As the control channel is if you understand what I'm saying

rivera293

Alright I’ll give that a shot this afternoon. What scan method are you using is it

rivera293

Motorola XTS Scanning issues

So i have programmed my Motorola XTS5000 to non-affiliate scan my county's P25 trunking system.
The issue is that i'm missing part of some radio traffic that's going on and only receive part of the transmissions. I've changed my coverage time to SmartZone but it doesn't help. any ideas on how to solve this problem? maybe scan times? something else?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged. Please don't create multiple threads for the same problem. Thanks.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Okay, I have successfully programmed non-affiliate scan method to P25 on my XTS5000 before and never had issues receiving or missing anything. There's 3 things I had to do to achieve this: #1, on the TRUNKING SYSTEM page under GENERAL, make sure your Coverage Type is set to DISABLED and NOT SmartZone. SmartZone causes an affiliation heartbeat to be sent every few minutes whether you think it does or doesn't I can assure you it does. #2, under TRUNKING PERSONALITY page under GENERAL make sure at the bottom where it says TRANSMIT MODE change it to say TG/AG DISABLED. And finally #3, under RADIO CONFIGURATION under CONTROLS and then SWITCHES make sure you change the 2 position Concentric Switch to A: TX INHIBIT and B: TX INHIBIT DISABLED. Make sure your switch is always on the TX INHIBIT selection! I've been using this method for YEARS and have confirmed by using my UniTrunker that my radios never EVER affiliate to a system, I have tried this in several different states and not missed 1 transmission, and so far my radio hasn't been Inhibited; Because there's no ID affiliated to inhibit! Trust me follow these steps you'll thank me! :) best of luck!

SCPD

QRT
Thats strange cause video on youtube says leave it on smartzone

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Thats strange cause video on youtube says leave it on smartzone

Nope nope nope. Definitely do NOT select SmartZone, besides that's only for multiple sites being programmed for the same System ID anyways, but it still causes the antenna to display on the screen with a coverage meter, indicating its affiliating. No SmartZone if you want to not affiliate... Trust me!

SCPD

QRT
Never seen antenna show up at all my id is set at 1 so i have to check this out with a frequency counter

Status
Not open for further replies.