• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL5000 Not Regaining Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJameson

I have an XTL5000 mobile radio mounted in a vehicle, which is on a trunked network. It's experiencing some strange behaviour that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me correct.

The vehicle is parked in a garage where there's no signal from the trunked network, so when you first turn it on it says "Out of Range" as expected. When you drive it out of the garage into an area where there's a strong signal, however, it still says "Out of Range" (no matter how long you leave it there). If you turn the radio off and back on again while it's in an area with strong signal, then as soon as it turns on it registers on the trunked network and shows full signal strength.

This is strange, because one would think that as soon as it enters an area with signal, it should recognize that, register on the trunked network, and stop showing "Out of Range". But, for some reason you have to reboot the radio for it to do that. Any thoughts?

Context: I'm the radio admin for our agency, have full programming access, etc.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Depending on how long it takes for you to get out of the garage a lot can be happening. One that it has gone off of the control channel list and is now looking for a channel with a failsoft word, or if you have full spectrum scan checked, the radio is off scanning the whole spectrum looking for a home.

Without seeing the codeplug a lot of assumptions can be made.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
As N4DES stated, full spectrum scan being enabled would could cause some issues (it can also be a godsend when systems are continuously expanding). Also, you might consider non-adjacent site scan. Are your site preferences set to prefer a specific site that you aren't exactly in range of immediately?

If you have a site button programmed, you can force a site scan to relook for a control channel.

cmdrwill

When the vehicle is in the garage, and radio off, maybe ALL DC power is switched off going to the radio. This will make the radio 'forget where it was'.

BigJameson

As N4DES stated, full spectrum scan being enabled would could cause some issues (it can also be a godsend when systems are continuously expanding). Also, you might consider non-adjacent site scan. Are your site preferences set to prefer a specific site that you aren't exactly in range of immediately?

If you have a site button programmed, you can force a site scan to relook for a control channel.

Thanks for the suggestions. Full spectrum scan is turned off, so that's not the issue. "Non-adjacent site search" is also disabled. The garage is basically in the center of the preferred site, so that should always be the strongest control signal. Also, firmware is fully up-to-date.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks for the suggestions. Full spectrum scan is turned off, so that's not the issue. "Non-adjacent site search" is also disabled. The garage is basically in the center of the preferred site, so that should always be the strongest control signal. Also, firmware is fully up-to-date.

Too close to site? Affiliation Problem? ISW/OSW timing?

BigJameson

Too close to site? Affiliation Problem? ISW/OSW timing?

The really weird part is that the codeplug on this radio is cloned from another radio that is identical that's on a different vehicle. That other vehicle is parked in the same garage, but immediately recognizes the trunked network as soon as it's driven out of the garage. So, clearly all the settings work there...

RFI-EMI-GUY

The really weird part is that the codeplug on this radio is cloned from another radio that is identical that's on a different vehicle. That other vehicle is parked in the same garage, but immediately recognizes the trunked network as soon as it's driven out of the garage. So, clearly all the settings work there...

OK now we are getting somewhere... Can the radios be swapped between vehicles to see if it follows the radio or the vehicle?

Possible vehicle related issues include antenna and installation differences, alternator/battery problems and even vehicle body control and ECU computers radiating a harmonic that coincides with desired control channels.

BigJameson

OK now we are getting somewhere... Can the radios be swapped between vehicles to see if it follows the radio or the vehicle?

Possible vehicle related issues include antenna and installation differences, alternator/battery problems and even vehicle body control and ECU computers radiating a harmonic that coincides with desired control channels.

Good call, I'll see if I can do that. Will be a while before I have both vehicles out of service long enough for this though; will update when I have news.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Good call, I'll see if I can do that. Will be a while before I have both vehicles out of service long enough for this though; will update when I have news.

Are you using a Sharkee antenna by any chance?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Antenna, RFI, etc. still seems like it wouldn't explain the fact the OP can power cycle the radio and it sees the CC. One would think if it was an external cause, rebooting wouldn't change it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Antenna, RFI, etc. still seems like it wouldn't explain the fact the OP can power cycle the radio and it sees the CC. One would think if it was an external cause, rebooting wouldn't change it.
It either the radio or the vehicle. Rebooting might clear a low voltage problem that was caused by bad battery. The ECU could be radiating a spur on a control channel freq.

I once had a bad battery for a year and only indication was stuff like dash guages rebooting after the engine was started. The radio might be having trouble recovering from a brown out if the battery is weak.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
It either the radio or the vehicle. Rebooting might clear a low voltage problem that was caused by bad battery. The ECU could be radiating a spur on a control channel freq.

I once had a bad battery for a year and only indication was stuff like dash guages rebooting after the engine was started. The radio might be having trouble recovering from a brown out if the battery is weak.

I'll agree with you on the battery...perhaps under cranking the voltage is going low enough to scramble the radio.
But I don't see how an ECU spur would do it...the spur would still be there after the reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.