• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR5550 high power, need low power tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I have a bunch of high power UHF 5550 control stations (in guard shacks) that are close to my customer's UHF Capacity Plus site. Each control station has a large outdoor antenna. I am showing -20dBm on my repeater inputs on the RX multicoupler outputs from the controls stations. Not good. Cant reduce multicoupler gain due to reducing the portable radio coverage. So, any decent way to reduce the high power radio's tx? I would like to go into Tuner and drag the power slider down, but am guessing that is not an acceptable solution......? If I can't find a software solution, then it will be small antennas buried in the guard shacks. Thank you, TT

MSS-Dave

I have a bunch of high power UHF 5550 control stations (in guard shacks) that are close to my customer's UHF Capacity Plus site. Each control station has a large outdoor antenna. I am showing -20dBm on my repeater inputs on the RX multicoupler outputs from the controls stations. Not good. Cant reduce multicoupler gain due to reducing the portable radio coverage. So, any decent way to reduce the high power radio's tx? I would like to go into Tuner and drag the power slider down, but am guessing that is not an acceptable solution......? If I can't find a software solution, then it will be small antennas buried in the guard shacks. Thank you, TT
You should be able to reduce your transmitter output to about 20 watts, I don't think you can go lower than that. The next thing you could do is make an inline attenuator either with a bunch of RG58 or put in a 20 watt 6 DB attenuator in the antenna line if you can get the power turned down. The way I read your question your control stations are fairly close to the system so you can take a fairly large hit on your receive sensitivity. What RSSI do you see on your control stations as it is right now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You can turn a high power unit down as far as 9W when it comes to the XPR5550. To verify, the CPS will state the power range under the Device Information.

What I typically do, put ducks on the radios and run them at low power but ideally that works best if you can get the radios down to 5W.

MSS-Dave

You can turn a high power unit down as far as 9W when it comes to the XPR5550. To verify, the CPS will state the power range under the Device Information.

What I typically do, put ducks on the radios and run them at low power but ideally that works best if you can get the radios down to 5W.

Thanks for this info. I haven't been into 5550 at all so I figured they might be like the bricks in XPR8400 that won't go below 20.

Firebuff880

Looking at a code plug for an XPR-5550 with the HHCH.

The Device Page indicates - Power range Watts 20.0 - 48.0

An under General Settings you have the Low TX & High Tx settings that can then be toggled via a button.

Lower then 20 Watts you will need to put it on the bench and tune it down manually.

==============

Attachments

• CPS setting.PNG
    CPS setting.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 214

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Looking at a code plug for an XPR-5550 with the HHCH.

The Device Page indicates - Power range Watts 20.0 - 48.0

An under General Settings you have the Low TX & High Tx settings that can then be toggled via a button.

Lower then 20 Watts you will need to put it on the bench and tune it down manually.

==============

I may have pulled a XPR5550e codeplug. People have not been labeling which of the two at the office lately…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

masstech

I hear coax and a dummy load still make for a good radiating source if you're close enough! ������

Last edited:

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I may put one of those right angle mini-u male to bnc female adapters on it. Then put a bnc portable whip on it.... see if I can smoke it at 20 watts (but with TDMA). TT

N4KVE

I would never use an antenna 1 inch from a radio that was transmitting 20 watts into it. Maybe with 10 feet of coax to get some distance from the radio.

Firebuff880

I would never use an antenna 1 inch from a radio that was transmitting 20 watts into it. Maybe with 10 feet of coax to get some distance from the radio.

5550 e

High Power Output:
VHF: 25-45 W
UHF Band 1: 25-40 W
UHF Band 2: 1-40 W
800: 10-35 W
900: 10-30 W

Low Power Output:
VHF: 1-25 W
UHF Band 1: 1-25 W

N4KVE

What that means is the hi power output radio [45 watts] can not go below 25 watts on low power. But the low power output radio [25 watts] can go as low as 1 watt on the low power setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.