RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 11:48 PM

Default Cdm1250 Tone receiver

Can anyone tell me what model receiver this is that is hooked in with the radio? Been trying to look it up but canít seem to find anything about it.
Attached Images

Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2018, 11:56 PM

Looks custom built, to me, at least the case is.
Got a photo of the inside? Rear?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree with McKenna, sure looks custom. Can you tell us what it does when there's an alert?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
I agree with McKenna, sure looks custom. Can you tell us what it does when there's an alert?
Looks like it might be for pagers. Or maybe an outdoor siren?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:34 AM

Often used for fire stations. A two tone page triggers a relay that turns on station lights. Audio is routed to a PA system throughout the station. The OP could probably explain what they are using it for.
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2018, 8:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC0625 View Post
We use DTMF tones to alert our stations, when the proper sequence of tones is dropped, there are alert beeps sent through the station, and then it automatically resets itself.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstDue5 View Post
We use DTMF tones to alert our stations, when the proper sequence of tones is dropped, there are alert beeps sent through the station, and then it automatically resets itself.
I think you just answered your question a little bit. When the DTMF sequence goes through the radio picks it up and activates the "box" which probably activates lights, opens doors, etc... As per model it looks like the department made it custom or had someone make it. Maybe to fit their needs more specifically.
mmckenna was correct
Old 01-07-2018, 11:32 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The CDM's were a different radio from what is available today. They used simple 12V signalling on the accessory connector. Not too long ago, several station alerting systems my manager had designed which were built with CDM's (essentially a series of relays would be triggered from the output of the radio when a page was received passing audio into a Bogden PA and flipping alert lighting). The department needed to spend some grant money so they upgraded those CDMs to APX1500's. The APX (and XTL) use digital logic for things like channel activity (COR) and don't put out enough current to hold a relay open. Ended up having to re-engineer the alerting system to use a transitor based switch as a buffer to between the APX and 12V relays. Once that was done it worked...but was a pain to do.