RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 3:33 PM

Default Motorola ht750 usb cable won't read

hi I'm running windows xp 32 bit. I have a usb cable not serial. I have the cps and when I go to read the radio I get this error.

Couldn't open port. Check whether device/Rib are powered on or not, and the device to rib, and the rib to pc connection is OK.

anyone who can help please do

-crc101
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2018, 8:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

look in the device manager with the radio and cable connected and see if you have any COM ports listed. One of those will be the port that the radio is connected to. You have to tell the software to use that port in one of the menus. If a com port is not listed in the device manager, you may need drivers or something for your programming cable. Those usb cables are typically a USB to Serial adapter.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:07 PM

Default Motorola ht750 usb cable wont read

I have already installed the prolific driver for the cable and device manager is already setup for com port 3
Old 01-09-2018, 7:56 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I personally have never had any luck with a USB / Windows XP programming combination.

I'll bet if you use a programming cable with a true serial port your problem may be solved.
Old 01-09-2018, 8:14 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

So if your usb device is on Com 3 is your software reading on Com 3?
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2018, 1:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You might have to go to File>Read device>COM 3
Old 01-09-2018, 4:53 PM

I do recall with the prolific driver, you would need to locate the exact one that would work. Most the time the driver provided does not work.

I forget where I found it but a true prolific driver when I did a search I had to try a few before I had any luck. It depends on the version I would have to check what version I had used to get one of them cables to work.

It was more of a experiment. It did read and write. Figuring out the actual prolific driver was the fun part.

You would also need to be sure your cable has a true prolific chip.
Old 01-10-2018, 1:16 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You will need to find an older Prolific driver and install it, rather than a newer one. That is what worked for me.
If memory serves me correctly, it was version 3.0.0 or less. I will have to look when I get home.
Old 01-10-2018, 1:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Com port

I use a true serial cable for the HT 750 and 1250 with XP, as well as other Motorola radios. Software designed to work through a true com port does not seem to translate well into a USB port.
Old 01-10-2018, 2:04 PM

I like to call it the old nintendo trick. Sometimes the cartridge a little hot air, breathe on it a little bit like you would to fog up your glasses to clean them. Then try. Ensuring that the contacts on the accessory flex are clean and intact is key.