• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASTRO CPS R05.03.00 for the XTS3000 - Stuck in "1 CSQ"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKirkwoods

If you watch the YouTube video on how to program the XTS3000 radio using ASTRO CPS R05.03.00 (https://youtu.be/CHlwQUeyZxg), you'll notice that at 4:44, the radio is done being read by the software. In the video, the "Read Device" operation took like 10 seconds.

Other posts on Radio Reference have stated that version R05.03.00 is the latest for the XTS3000.

Well, I am having one heck of a problem. I am using the same exact software (or appears so - I have R05.03.00 as stated in the about section) and when I attempt to "Read Device", the radio beeps, it changes to "1 CSQ" and the hourglass on the software shows up. I was hoping that the same thing that happened in the video would happen for me, or at least that I would get some other indication outside of what I am seeing on the video. However, it would appear that nothing ever happens. The software hangs for hours without ever returning anything. What does this mean? Does this mean it can't be read?

Two slight differences between the video and my situation:
1) When the software runs in the video, it asks the user which COM port they wish to use. I don't get that dialog box. If I have the wrong one selected in the options menu, it errors out. However, assuming that I get the correct one, the radio beeps, and the screen goes to "1 CSQ". Other than that, that is the only difference up to that point.
2) I have a cable that goes direct from the radio to a DB9 serial connection.

Also, not that it will really matter, but the radio looks the exact same as on the video. However, my radio physically says "XTS3000R" I assume that's the same??

I need to program various frequencies into this radio, but I have never worked on any Motorola radios, so this is definitely a learning curve for me. Any help that can be provided, I would greatly appreciate it.

Please email me if you need better, larger pictures.

Thank you!

Scott

Attachments

• CSQ_.png
    CSQ_.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Model.png
    Model.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Version.png
    Version.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 265

MatRat80109

Can we get some info on your cable? The XTS3000 series required a RIB interface box between the computer and radio. I always had Moto cables / RIBs so have never tried the 3rd party ones.

Tks,
MR

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Mine takes about 45 seconds to read and then display the radio contents. I'm running R05.02.00 on an XP desktop PC, with COM1 settings at default, and using a knockoff DB9 ribless cable straight from the serial port. I don't have any specific suggestions on what to try to figure this out. Basically just posting to let you know a ribless DB9 cable works and the COMM port settings aren't specific.

Are you using a USB to DB9 cable by chance? It could be a driver or setup issue if you are. One of the
reasons I'm keeping this old XP computer around is to program old radios. I also have an older one with just straight DOS on it but I haven't needed it in years.

Good luck getting your radio to read.

TheKirkwoods

The computer is a Windows 7 machine, which is only used to run a few really important programs.

The cable is radio to DB9 serial. No rib currently in use.

(My other reply is currently pending moderator approval). It has more specific detail.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The computer is a Windows 7 machine, which is only used to run a few really important programs.

Windows Vista is the last version of Windows to support ASTRO CPS so the first thing to do is try running it under XP.

You could also try running the program as an Administrator.

Your best option is to find a computer running XP.

2wayfreq

Its always a good idea to keep some older laptops around. Get one from a Swap meet, thrift store or someone giving one away etc. I have some Pentiums, Pentium 2s, Core-2s etc. laptops around. DOS, Windows98, XP and Win 7. Its good to have a serial port available for older cables too.

K2NEC

Try the above. Isn't the 1 CSQ what appears when you put the radio into service mode? Or am I mistaken?

N1GJB

Mine also comes up as 1 CSQ when I read it. There's obviously an issue with the hardware you are using and/or cable if nothing happens beyond the reading process. I'm using a generic programming cable and a generic RIB (I think they are both Kawamall branded) on a Dell laptop with a real DB9 serial port that's running Windows XP.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
For what it’s worth, I can only get that CPS to run on my Windows XP Panasonic Toughbook. Same
for all the older DOS software. I tried the virtual method from Windows 7 and still wouldn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
For what it’s worth, I can only get that CPS to run on my Windows XP Panasonic Toughbook. Same
for all the older DOS software. I tried the virtual method from Windows 7 and still wouldn’t work.

I use it regularly on Windows 7 with a USB to serial adapter (running on a MacBook Pro of all things). Key is having a 32 bit version of Windows 7. Once you go 64 bit you have com port issues and or have to use XP Mode’s VM to buffer the com port.

Status
Not open for further replies.