• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra wont scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
I have an Astro Spectra VHF W4. a few days ago, it stopped scanning channels. If I take the radio off scan, I can hear traffic just fine but, put it back on scan and nothing! I have checked my codeplug twice. It just up and stopped scanning just like that. Any suggestions?

KM4WLV

I have an Astro Spectra VHF W4. a few days ago, it stopped scanning channels. If I take the radio off scan, I can hear traffic just fine but, put it back on scan and nothing! I have checked my codeplug twice. It just up and stopped scanning just like that. Any suggestions?

Have you put the radio into scan programming mode (press & hold scan button until it beeps and indicator starts flashing)? If a channel is in the scan list you should see either PRI or NPRI.

Have you recently disconnected the battery or had any type of electrical issues (assuming it's in a vehicle and not inside)? I had a W5 and when I would disconnect power it would dump the scan list.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
Yup, I’ve checked all that. The channels I want to scan are in my scan list and there is a scan list assigned to those channels. I put the radio into scan and no scan even though the scan indicator is on under the scan button. Like I said, it just up and stopped working. Everything else works fine. TX is strong and RX is full quieting. I wonder if it’s a cap issue.

N4KVE

Yup, I’ve checked all that. The channels I want to scan are in my scan list and there is a scan list assigned to those channels. I put the radio into scan and no scan even though the scan indicator is on under the scan button. Like I said, it just up and stopped working. Everything else works fine. TX is strong and RX is full quieting. I wonder if it’s a cap issue.
Take a second, & ground the mike hang up button.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Also, try a different mic when you are putting it on the hang-up clip. I've also seen the mic hang-up circuit develop issues on Maxtrac radios. One in particular had an open resistor that once I replaced it, the scan worked again. If different mics still don't work, check the schematic for the circuit and make sure you are seeing the correct voltages when the mic is on/off hook. It could as you mentioned have some leaky caps that are affecting the on/off hook circuit.

smorris

WX3PMC/WQWZ815/MOPA-27
I had HUB suspend scan checked in scan config. I had a desk mic connected to the radio from day one so it wasn’t an issue. When I connected a palm mic, the clip was screed to a wood surface and there’s my problem. Lesson learned!

N4KVE

I had HUB suspend scan checked in scan config. I had a desk mic connected to the radio from day one so it wasn’t an issue. When I connected a palm mic, the clip was screed to a wood surface and there’s my problem. Lesson learned!
Open the mike, & ground the hang up button from the inside. Can't tell you how many times I've done this on Moto, & Kenwood radios.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Why go through the hassle physically changing it.. Change it in the CPS. a mouse click is a lot easier

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Why go through the hassle physically changing it.. Change it in the CPS. a mouse click is a lot easier

Exactly. There is nothing worse than receiving or working on a used piece of equipment that someone has modified instead of using the proper method.

N4KVE

Because in my case, I have no use for the hang up clip. I want PL decode on all the time, & program my radio that way. If I don't want PL decode on, I program the RX to have decode off. The function is for community repeaters, where multiple users with different PL tones share, & use the same repeater. Ham repeaters only use one PL tone, so the whole hub deal is useless.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Then simply uncheck the Hub Defeats PL. Then the radio stays in PL decode even when the mic is removed from the clip.

N4KVE

Unfortunately, I can no longer program my old Spectra, so it was much easier to modify the mike than to find someone with an old DOS laptop, & the RSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.