• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola A9 w/ PA/Siren amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDFF21

Hey everyone, just bought an A9 head with the Siren/PA amp and what I think are the necessary cables. The Siren/PA amp is marked Systems 9000 and includes the proper Systems 9000 interface cord, and I also had a left-over Motorola style power plug from some vehicle strips. For now I just intend to utilize the Control head for Siren purposes, so is this all I need for a proper install of the system?

12dbsinad

Just to be clear, you have the A9 head, control cable, radio drawer, siren amplifier box, and the interface cable between the radio drawer and the siren amplifier?

jim202

You need the DC power cable for the radio and the DC power cable for the siren.

The interface cable from the siren to the radio has a male / female connector at the radio end. Plug it into the radio and the remote head control cable into the female side of the siren cable that you already connected to the radio. You will need a long shaft to screw the 2 cables to the radio. The normal one on the remote control cable has to be removed to allow the longer one used.

Then the fun begins to program the radio and siren. Some people use a second control box at the control head to set up as the control of the siren. This will require a cable to go from that button box to the control head.

You might want to take a look at the repeater builder site. I think there is some information there on doing this. Been a long time since I have had to do all the work on a configuration like you want.

Jim

DDFF21

Just to be clear, you have the A9 head, control cable, radio drawer, siren amplifier box, and the interface cable between the radio drawer and the siren amplifier?

Yes, got the A9 head and an amp with the correct cable included for it as well. Also the control head does have siren functions already on the buttons so hopefully the programming is still the same.
Just trying to find a radio drawer and the correct cables for the drawer to connect to the control head now. Of course tried e-bay but so far the only cable for the drawer to the controller is nearly $45. Is that gonna be the norm or is it possible to find cheaper? Also can I utilize something like the DA5KX instead of the larger TA9GX+078W? Not too worried about the radio functions just yet, just want the siren functions as I love the tones on the Spectra.

Last edited:

cmdrwill

The mid power spectra radio 'drawer' will work with the M siren, it needs to have two DB25 connectors on the front. One on the left is for the control head, right DB25 for siren control.

DDFF21

The mid power spectra radio 'drawer' will work with the M siren, it needs to have two DB25 connectors on the front. One on the left is for the control head, right DB25 for siren control.

Alright, and the drawer has to be marked A9 to work with an A9 control head too, correct? Sorry for all the questions, first time messing with these systems.

i still have the System 9000 Siren AMP with the cable from the siren to radio was used at one time now i have a XTS-5000 and i Whelen Siren no use for the AMP and cables

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
The interface cable from the siren to the radio has a male / female connector at the radio end. Plug it into the radio and the remote head control cable into the female side of the siren cable that you already connected to the radio. You will need a long shaft to screw the 2 cables to the radio. The normal one on the remote control cable has to be removed to allow the longer one used.

Jim

Methinks you are referring to the Syntor. The Spectra version uses a DB25 at the radio end.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Yes, got the A9 head and an amp with the correct cable included for it as well. Also the control head does have siren functions already on the buttons so hopefully the programming is still the same.
Just trying to find a radio drawer and the correct cables for the drawer to connect to the control head now. Of course tried e-bay but so far the only cable for the drawer to the controller is nearly $45. Is that gonna be the norm or is it possible to find cheaper? Also can I utilize something like the DA5KX instead of the larger TA9GX+078W? Not too worried about the radio functions just yet, just want the siren functions as I love the tones on the Spectra.

Search harder! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-S...433515&hash=item2139f86d4d:g:WHwAAOSwBgRal0AA

the cable i has this model number HKN4363B here's pictures on what mine look's like i had a Astro Speatra connected to the siren

Attachments

• Picture 1150.jpg
    Picture 1150.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Picture 1151.jpg
    Picture 1151.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture 1152.jpg
    Picture 1152.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 245

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
the cable i has this model number HKN4363B here's pictures on what mine look's like i had a Astro Speatra connected to the siren

You got it, that cable will work on all units from the original spectra to the astro, xtl and apx.

DDFF21

Got my control head and waiting my amp. So my question is, I'm assuming I need to find an A9 marked radio since I have a HCN1073E control head, correct?

toolman60

I may be out of place here but if he got an A9 head it will not work on the Astro Spectra is what I was told when looking for W9 head for AS.

Please correct me and my information if I am wrong.

OP yes it will make your life much easier to find a drawer for A9 or W9 setup.And there are some on ebay.

Tim

cmdrwill

Alright, and the drawer has to be marked A9 to work with an A9 control head too, correct? Sorry for all the questions, first time messing with these systems.

I do NOT have that problem in our shop. But been doing Spectras since they first hit the streets.

And toolman is correct, ASSTRO Spectras are a different radio. And use different control heads,
the W series.

Status
Not open for further replies.