• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MOTOTRBO High Pitch Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwpd416

We have about 30 MOTOTRBO radios, combination of 7550, 7550 E and 6550. Randomly a random radio will produce a very loud and very high pitched tone for a few seconds. Is anyone else having this problem or know a solution?

Thank you

WB0VHB

I have a 6550 doing the same thing. It has the latest firmware and otherwise works fine. Looking for an explanation too.

jtech48

Premium Subscriber
Can you provide a bit more detail as to what type of system the radios are working off of (Cap+, Con+, etc) or if conventional?

JRayfield

Does it produce it on transmt or receive?

John Rayfield, Jr.

We have about 30 MOTOTRBO radios, combination of 7550, 7550 E and 6550. Randomly a random radio will produce a very loud and very high pitched tone for a few seconds. Is anyone else having this problem or know a solution?

Thank you

jwpd416

John Rayfield, Jr.

Neither, it does it randomly. The last time it happened with mine, it was sitting on my desk and with out anything going on it happened. I wish I could provide more information but it is so random I have no idea.

mw1coe

I heard that Certain batteries cause this issue..

Try covering the center battery terminal..

jwpd416

No it is not a ticking noise, it is a very high pitched tone for only a moment.

jwpd416

John Rayfield, Jr.

So I have several radios on today and have been paying closer attention. As of today I have 2-XPR 6550 that have made that sound twice today. Both at the end of a transmission.

masstech

Which radios were transmitting? Maybe they were the 7550e's, the newest ones? What does firmware look like on all the radios? The thinking here is the 7550e firmware might be doing audio processing that the gen 1 radios are receiving as that sound.

jwpd416

All the firmware has been checked and updated in the last two weeks. I believe one of the transmissions came from dispatch and the other a car radio. I will have to pay closer attention next time.

ae1c

Does the tone sound like a CO alarm? Did it happen after upgrade to latest fw on 6550? Mine did. It absolutely started happening right after the update to current fw. I did two radios. One is still ok but one is useless now due to the ear piercing scream. It can work ok for a month then happen 2 or 3 times in a row. Doesn’t matter if it’s on analog or digital channel. Doesn’t have to be actively receiving anything. It HAS to be caused by the last fw upgrade. Volume control does not affect level of tone. Have to power cycle radio to stop tone. All else works fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

com501

There is a fix for this specifically for the 6550. Have MOL send you S01.17.08_130203 for the XPR6550. This is a known condition.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I've got an XPR4550 that emits full blast feedback squeal (how is that even possible!?) from the speaker at times when I key the mic...it can literally burst an eardrum.

Paul

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Same issue here with my 6550, it's awful.

ae1c, what method did you use to request the firmware through MOL?

N4KVE

Happened to my 6550 once. Turning the radio off did nothing, so I removed the battery. That was a year ago, & it’s never happened again.

Status
Not open for further replies.