• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Problems with New version of APX CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick54

I have been using version 14. APX CPS for a while now, I recently had to upgrade to Ver. 17. and it will no longer read or clone any radio. It says that the app has an error in the box right after it connects to the radio and just hangs. I tried removing the old version then tried loading it onto another computer with same results. The old version works fine. Any ideas?

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Is the radio legit? Has it been touched by lab/Depot? New firmware/CPS is rumored to be very unhappy with non-legit radios. TT

Rick54

Yes the radios are legit, one is from our fire dept. and the other is from our PD and one is older ver of CPS and the other is newer but not up to 17.0. I do have a newer version of the firmware that I have not installed I have considered that this could be the problem but I would rather have someone confirm that before I go and get into a new can of worms with the firmware installation. Thanks for the reply

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and letting them reinstall when the radio is plugged in?

Rick54

Run the APX CPS "as administrator" the first time. That is what solved it for me when I upgraded from 16.01 to 17. Had to do this on multiple workstations, all running Win10 Pro 64.

Thanks I will try this, I did not mention I was running Win 7 pro on both the pc's I tried

Rick54

That did not work either, it seems to connect to the radio ok but when it starts to read it that's when the error occurs. I don't recon this version will only run on win 10 or something like that??????

masstech

APX CPS 17 works fine on Windows 7 for us.

What does the error message say?

This is something you can always call in MOL for help on - they always get a lot of calls if it's a common problem, and will have the fix ready for you as soon as you mention the error message.

SCPD

QRT
Have you, uninstalled cps completely, rebooted completely, re installed cps, tried other usb ports and ensured windows 10, its drivers are up to date?

What version of win 10? There is about 12 I recall and I have noticed a few lack certain drivers.

Rick54

I am running windows 7, I have tried it on 10 with the same results, I have removed it and reinstalled as well. the error appears in the dialog box that comes up when you connect to the radio, it says "an error has accured in the application" or something like that right after the second radio button starts to spin. it seems to connect to the radio but won't communicate to read it. and yes I have tried a different cable as well. the strange thing is ver 14 still works fine.

phillydjdan

FYI for the haters I can confirm that V17 does not care about radios touched by depot...

phillydjdan

I'm saying the opposite. It does not care if it's legit or depot. It reads and writes same as the previous versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.