• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 5000 Motorola Depot Experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruber

So, over the past 5-6 months I have had a pretty bad experience with depot and an XTS5000R I sent in... It was giving me an error code of FAIL 01/82. I tried everything with the radio and CPS but nothing worked. So, I sent it to depot. Over the past months I have called repeatedly and asked what’s taking so long with my radio. The thing with depot is most of the time they just replace the whole radio and send it back to you for a flat rate... most of the time. With this, my XTS5000R is on a parts hold. Apparently, they don't have any chaises available... I called today and asked a lot of questions. What’s happening is that their supplier is apparently not making chassis that meet up to Motorola quality standards... Really Motorola? What the hell is there problem??? There making their customers suffer because they can’t figure out a good supplier for parts??? What moron is running this operation... I mean really, this has been going on for almost half a year... I guess what I’m trying to say is don't send your XTS5000R's to depot unless you want to never see it again... Motorola makes some great products, but there politics are a whole different story...

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The Astro 25 series has been discontinued so replacement parts might take awhile.

com501

If it went in flat rate, they should have not accepted it if parts were NLA. That's what they are doing with XTLs, sending them back unrepaired.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The XTS5000 is considered a legacy radio. Support is officially ending later this year. Like many manufacturers, parts become scarce the longer a product is out of production.

The XTS5000 went OOP in December 2013. I am surprised they are still flat rating them at all.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Not to mention depot occasionally misplaces a radio and then relocates it months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

Probably would have been much cheaper to find one on Ebay and slap a housing kit on it. Mother M is all about sales VS service, they are not like they used to be. A EOL'd radio in for service is a potential lost sale.

It's interesting that you can potentially buy a 8K dollar multi band radio near the end of life, and can't get support or parts less than 5 years later.

com501

The whole industry is getting like that. Even Moto preselectors have faced a vendor issue. When the Chinese vendor (Fingu and others) decides to retool, you're done.

Danny37

You're not the only one, I sent a vertex vx-p824 for repair through a radio shop (Motorola handles repairs now for vertex since they own them) and it's been "lost" in inventory for over a month.

12dbsinad

The whole industry is getting like that. Even Moto preselectors have faced a vendor issue. When the Chinese vendor (Fingu and others) decides to retool, you're done.

I personally think not all of that is to blame on China. Some yes, but probably most is a Motorola corporate decision.

A 8K dollar radio IMO should carry parts availability for a minimum of 10 years. Especially major failure items.Public safety radios certainly aren't decreasing in price, that's for sure, and the taxpayers are the ones taking it in the chin.

On a side note, I can get Icom and many others, parts to radios EOL'd 7,8,9 years ago. Why? And those are dirt cheap throw away radios in comparison.

jparks29

John McClane
I've heard of radios coming back with different codeplugs, features, and even different models.... With the same SN.. lol

Send in an XTS5000 model 3 and have it come back recased as a model 2....

Project25_MASTR

A 8K dollar radio IMO should carry parts availability for a minimum of 10 years. Especially major failure items.Public safety radios certainly aren't decreasing in price, that's for sure, and the taxpayers are the ones taking it in the chin.

They do. Look at the XTS5000, I’ve got some with initial programming dates in 2003. So if you bought back then your radios are close to 15 years old now even though they’ve been out of production for almost 5 years.

The problem Motorola customers ran into was at the time of cancelation, Motorola didn’t have alternatives to the lower tier Astro 25 Radios…you could buy a high tier APX or hold on to what you had. Now Motorola has a decent range of mid-tier solutions on the APX platform.

ResQguy

Meh
OVERVIEW
The purpose of this notification is to inform ASTRO 25 Subscriber owners of a cancellation of the XTS 5000 portable
radio models on November 30, 2013. It is recommended that last time purchases be considered at this time to cover
anticipated or planned customer expansion and lifetime spare units.
XTS 5000 Last Order Entry: October 31, 2013
All XTS 5000 ECAT (Electronic Price Pages) will be pulled from visibility no later than the second week of November 2013.
XTS 5000 Last Customer Scheduled Ship Date: November 30, 2013
(Schaumburg factory (SCOG))
No customer ship dates will be scheduled after this date.
XTS 5000 Last Field Service 5 years Support to conclude: December 31, 2018
SERVICE IMPLICATIONS OF CANCELLATION
Aftermarket Product support will be available for XTS 5000 radios via commercially reasonable efforts up to 12/31/2018 through Customer Fulfillment Centers (CFC).

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
A 8K dollar radio IMO should carry parts availability for a minimum of 10 years.

That's why you put in your bid that manufacturer has to support radio a minimum of 7 years after purchase. If not they replace with a new model at no charge. I have seen this in bids and we require it also.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
XTS 5000 Last Field Service 5 years Support to conclude: December 31, 2018
SERVICE IMPLICATIONS OF CANCELLATION
Aftermarket Product support will be available for XTS 5000 radios via commercially reasonable efforts up to 12/31/2018 through Customer Fulfillment Centers (CFC).

This is the key phrase. This means if MSI cannot get the parts because whatever supplier killed off the tooling, than it is not "commercially reasonable" to spend money to find another supplier, retool, and put parts into production for a product that has OOP for 5 years.

Time to upgrade to a newer radio series or start stockpiling surplus radios and play pick-a-part/pull-a-part.

ResQguy

Meh
I mean seriously, the APX series is a ten year old product already. The XTS's time in front line service is long over.

Project25_MASTR

I mean seriously, the APX series is a ten year old product already. The XTS's time in front line service is long over.

And that’s why products such as the APX6000 are in the BN revision now. AN revision is NLS.

com501

This happens a lot more often than people relalize. Every time you see a new part number in MOL for a part you have been ordering for years, and it looks the same as the old part, chances are the vendor was changed. I variety of reasons as to why this might be, but suppliers obsolete parts faster than our industry can keep up.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The XTS5000 is considered a legacy radio. Support is officially ending later this year. Like many manufacturers, parts become scarce the longer a product is out of production.

The XTS5000 went OOP in December 2013. I am surprised they are still flat rating them at all.

Wouldn't that would mean that for some customers it is a 4 1/2 year old radio with two and 1/2 years of support remaining?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The State of Illinois has over 10K radios XTS/XTLs on Starcom21 in use every day..No money to replace them... The only agency that has is the Tollway authority who has their own budget and the just are just phasing in APX's

Status
Not open for further replies.