• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM Programming Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3HQB

Good afternoon,

Im putting together a repeater, I have 2 CDM1250 VHF radios that I am going to be using. I own a RIB, but my radio laptop kicked the bucket. I can't get CPS to even detect the RIB, let alone Program the Radio. My computer is a WIN 10 desktop. With on board serial ports, so its not a USB issue.

Second issue, I cant seem to find anyone who agrees what the RIB to Radio cable wiring is.. I have found 3 different cable diagrams, with NO Luck getting any of them to work. Now this may stem from the fact that I can't get the software to work in the first place.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The cable pinout shown on BatLabs works for me. It runs from the DB-25 on the Motorola RIB to the RJ connector on the front of the radio. It's worked on several CDM's.

You can also program via the rear 20 pin connector. Sometimes remote head configurations with long cables will belch if they are programmed via the front mic jack. Solution is to use the 20 pin instead.

I've never tried it with Windows 10, but I know it works with windows 7.

VA3HQB

The cable pinout shown on BatLabs works for me. It runs from the DB-25 on the Motorola RIB to the RJ connector on the front of the radio. It's worked on several CDM's.

You can also program via the rear 20 pin connector. Sometimes remote head configurations with long cables will belch if they are programmed via the front mic jack. Solution is to use the 20 pin instead.

I've never tried it with Windows 10, but I know it works with windows 7.

Which CPS are you using? Im using like 6.04 or something.

VA3HQB

Thank you all,

Im running into an issue, And Not sure how to diagnose it.

Im using a desktop PC with 2 COM Ports. Its a new PC with Win10.

Using VirtualBox and Windows XP, or Win10, when I try to read the radios I get the "Check your cables, and power" Error.

Cables are good. I checked them BOTH 4 times, have used both a 9v battery inside the RIB, and the RIB power supply.

Is this because I'm using a new PC? Win10?

I am waiting on a mid 90's Laptop with CD Rom, Windows XP, and on board serial ports.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is this because I'm using a new PC? Win10?

I don't know, but this is exactly why I've kept a number of computers around:
In my shop, a desktop running Windows 7 pro
In my work truck, a laptop running Windows 7 pro
and for a few others, an older laptop running Windows XP.

Unfortunately my old 386 bit the dust.

I'm sure someone else will have some ideas, but I've (so far) have prevented myself from this fate.
Making sure your COM port is set up correctly would be important.
Motorola RIB, or after market?

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
I had that no-comms error, too.

Another forum suggested rolling back your serial-to-USB driver and blamed it on a WIN10 update.

VA3HQB

I had that no-comms error, too.

Another forum suggested rolling back your serial-to-USB driver and blamed it on a WIN10 update.

Im not using a prolific USB adapter.. Im using the onbord Serial Ports.

But I do have a prolific device.. I will try it out!

VA3HQB

Im not sure WHAT I am doing wrong here.

RADIO is on...
RIB is on.. (12v 2000ma center pos wall wart)
Windows XP on an old laptop with a Serial Port on board

CPS tells me.. it cant open the port

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Let me preface this by saying "I don't know".

I've never been strong on Windows knowledge.

However, I had a Windows XP laptop that would do that and drive me nuts. The only way I figured out how to make it work was to go into the system settings and disable the comm port. I'd then restart the laptop and let it come up completely. Once it was up and running, I'd go back in and re-enable the comm port.

Then, like some sort of black magic, it would work.

I'm sure some bit-head out there can explain exactly why that worked and what a "real" solution is, but that was my quick, in the field, solution that got the job done.

By the way, I hate Windows, but it's a necessary evil in the industry.

mm

Try this with your CDM cable connected to the pc.

This fix is taken From my Signal Hound usb network analyzers troubleshooting FAQ.

“Make sure that the driver for your cable was configured correctly by your system,

I have had more Win10 usb issues with my devices.

In the device manager, find “USB Serial Converter” for your programming cable and in the “Universal Serial Bus Controllers” tab. Right click and select properties, select the “Advanced” tab and ensure that the “Load VCP” box is unchecked.”

You may have to re-boot your PC.

I had this issue with a yaesu cable, my ht1250 prog cable and my signal hound USB NETWORK ANALYZER and the above FAQ info fixed each one.

VA3HQB

So I've got CPS running, I have been able to read the radios. There was one RJ45 pin pressed down in both radios. I popped it up... And bam. It all worked.

Now.. To clear them out, and reset to factory codeplug. Then.... I can start worrying about freq. Coordination and the MMDVM setup.

Thanks a ton foe your help,

Status
Not open for further replies.