• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola CDM1550 LS+ are there 2 different models?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee069

Hi, thinking of purchasing a Motorola CDM1550 LS+ but see that some on ebay are advertised as 450MHz and others are 430MHz. But looking at the spec sheet it looks like the radio's do both anyway, is this true or are there two versions of this model?

Regards Lee.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Yes. There are several varieties of the CDM1550.

You have the various bands: Lo Band, VHF, UHF Lo (403 - 470), UHF Hi (450 - 520). Then you have the LS+ and non-LS+ models. The LS+ can do regular old conventional as well as LTR trunking, where as the non-LS+ does only conventional.

romanr

CDM1550 Model Numbers

This may help (it's from the Basic Service Manual). Check the full model number before you spend your money to make sure you get the features you want. If it's for work, you may want to be sure you get MDC. Good Luck

Attachments

• CDM1550.jpg
    CDM1550.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 295

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Depending on the model be advised that you may has little as 2 or 17 conventional frequencies. The LS+ was designed as a LTR trunked radio so little need for conventional. The best model can have as many as 160 conventional channels plus the trunking. I would check against the model chart listed here for a AAM25XXA9DP6 if you want both or DU8 if not.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi, thinking of purchasing a Motorola CDM1550 LS+ but see that some on ebay are advertised as 450MHz and others are 430MHz. But looking at the spec sheet it looks like the radio's do both anyway, is this true or are there two versions of this model?

Regards Lee.

Which one you choose really depends on what you are licensed for and what your future usage will be.

If you are using these for work, then pick whichever one covers the frequencies you are licensed for. There is the overlap, so that can be handy.

If you are using these for hobby use, like GMRS or Amateur, get the 430-470, as that will cover the 70 centimeter band as well as GMRS. Even if you don't have an amateur license now, you may decide to go that route in the future. The 430-470 split will be easier to sell to amateurs/hobbyists later on if you need to.

These can be taken slightly out of their intended bands, but only a bit, and it will vary from radio to radio where the VCO will unlock.

Good radios, I'm using VHF CDM's (750, 1250 and 1550's) for all my personal vehicles. I've got a few at work, too. I've picked up 750's for as low as $75 and 1550's for as low as $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.