• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Mts2000 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

I'm trying to inquire if the mts2000 403-470 split will be able to go up to 487mhz with a hex edit of the CPS with no issue? I recall having an ht1000 with that same split go up to 490mhz without issue. The out of band frequencies will be for recieve only, no transmitting. I came across a pristine 403-470 mts2000 top display radio (which is quite rare for the how good of a condition it is in) I've been itching to get it. I like that accessories from my xts5000 can be cross used with the mts2000. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also is it true the top display model (48 channels) can be modded to do 99 channels? Or is that only for the mt2000?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The issue is where the VCO decides to unlock.
That will vary from radio to radio depending on individual components.

So the answer is "maybe". One radio might do it, another might not.

Not sure about the MTS2000, but sometimes you can tweak them and make them lock at a higher frequency at the loss of the lower frequencies, but don't buy a radio based on that. But, if you are wanting to follow the rules, that might be considered something that would void the type certification (if you were going to transmit).

Seems like a heck of a gamble just to get a pristine radio. Truth is you could probably find a radio that would work like it was supposed to that high. Often, the T-band radios sell for less than the UHF radios that cover 70 centimeters since they tend to be in higher demand.

If pristine condition is the key, then consider finding one that covers that part of the band and just recase it.

The 99 channel mod is for the MT2000, as far as I know. If you want more channels, get an MTS2000 Model 2 or 3.

Danny37

The issue is where the VCO decides to unlock.
That will vary from radio to radio depending on individual components.

So the answer is "maybe". One radio might do it, another might not.

Not sure about the MTS2000, but sometimes you can tweak them and make them lock at a higher frequency at the loss of the lower frequencies, but don't buy a radio based on that. But, if you are wanting to follow the rules, that might be considered something that would void the type certification (if you were going to transmit).

Seems like a heck of a gamble just to get a pristine radio. Truth is you could probably find a radio that would work like it was supposed to that high. Often, the T-band radios sell for less than the UHF radios that cover 70 centimeters since they tend to be in higher demand.

If pristine condition is the key, then consider finding one that covers that part of the band and just recase it.

The 99 channel mod is for the MT2000, as far as I know. If you want more channels, get an MTS2000 Model 2 or 3.

The mt2000 is older compared to the mts2000? I believe there's some RF filtering issues with the mt2000 compared to the mts2000. Like the squelch opening up near a computer.

I can't seem to find anyone who has stock housings for sale for the mts2000 series. 48 channels is all I really need and I'm a sucker for top display radios as you probably know lol.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The mt2000 is older compared to the mts2000? I believe there's some RF filtering issues with the mt2000 compared to the mts2000. Like the squelch opening up near a computer.

I can't seem to find anyone who has stock housings for sale for the mts2000 series. 48 channels is all I really need and I'm a sucker for top display radios as you probably know lol.

You're better off trying to find a 450-512 split. and doing the hex edit to bring that down to 440 if you're trying to accomplish ham and NYC stuff.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

I hear you about the top display.

I just bought 6x TK-390 radios for my in-laws acreage. 7 character top display, and 160 channel capacity. More than you think you need, but until I had radios with 512ch capacity, I always ended up needing more channels than the radios held that I had.

I know it not Motorola, but they are solid radios, accessories are cheap, and they work well. The software is out there, works on most versions of windows, USB cables work fine with out problems. Just make sure you find a TK-380-1.

The only down side is the lack of MDC1200, which I have no need for.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

The MT2000, MTS2000, JT1000, HT1000 and MTX8000/9000/838 are all the same family of radios and use identical RF boards, and are interchangeable. you can take an RF board from a UHF HT1000 and put it in an MTS2000 (with a UHF codeplug and S-record) and it will work just fine (provided it is tuned and aligned).

The radios all date from the same era sans the JT1000 which came out in 1995. All of them share common core components, the differences being the controller boards. The MTS2000 was the only Flashport radio capable of having it's radio operating system (ROS) and feature set (Flashcode) modified in the field to add new features/options. For example, an MTS2000 could be ordered conventional only and then the customer wants to add Smartnet trunking (on the same RF band). They would purchase Flashport upgrade kits for the radios, reflash and reprogram accordingly. Pretty advanced for early 90s technology as Flash RAM was still pretty new back then.

MT2000s and MTX series used what were known as closed architecture controllers and thus, had firmware programmed at the factory in 256K ROMs and could not be upgraded at all.

As other's said, you're better off buying the desired "S" split Jedi to get a radio that works properly in the UHF T-Band. They are dirt cheap these days.

Danny37

I hear you about the top display.

I just bought 6x TK-390 radios for my in-laws acreage. 7 character top display, and 160 channel capacity. More than you think you need, but until I had radios with 512ch capacity, I always ended up needing more channels than the radios held that I had.

I know it not Motorola, but they are solid radios, accessories are cheap, and they work well. The software is out there, works on most versions of windows, USB cables work fine with out problems. Just make sure you find a TK-380-1.

The only down side is the lack of MDC1200, which I have no need for.

Top display radios are so convenient, all you have to do is look down and you know what you're doing. It seems that it was a fad in the 90s with most radios but now it's obsolete unless you go for a Harrison or Motorola apx break your bank radio.

Funny that you mention the tk-390 I've been eyeing them for a while but I like how the xts5000 and the Mts accessories are interchangeable especially the Bluetooth dongle which I use daily.

Danny37

The MT2000, MTS2000, JT1000, HT1000 and MTX8000/9000/838 are all the same family of radios and use identical RF boards, and are interchangeable. you can take an RF board from a UHF HT1000 and put it in an MTS2000 (with a UHF codeplug and S-record) and it will work just fine (provided it is tuned and aligned).

The radios all date from the same era sans the JT1000 which came out in 1995. All of them share common core components, the differences being the controller boards. The MTS2000 was the only Flashport radio capable of having it's radio operating system (ROS) and feature set (Flashcode) modified in the field to add new features/options. For example, an MTS2000 could be ordered conventional only and then the customer wants to add Smartnet trunking (on the same RF band). They would purchase Flashport upgrade kits for the radios, reflash and reprogram accordingly. Pretty advanced for early 90s technology as Flash RAM was still pretty new back then.

MT2000s and MTX series used what were known as closed architecture controllers and thus, had firmware programmed at the factory in 256K ROMs and could not be upgraded at all.

As other's said, you're better off buying the desired "S" split Jedi to get a radio that works properly in the UHF T-Band. They are dirt cheap these days.

I might just get an S split and rehouse it with a 800mhz radio in great condition. How difficult is it to rehouse the Jedi radios? I've done it on my xts5000 and it took me less than 5 minutes.

Also, isn't the mts2000 the only Jedi radio that can be programmed with a windows based CPS? Unlike the others that require you to run the RSS in Dos.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I might just get an S split and rehouse it with a 800mhz radio in great condition. How difficult is it to rehouse the Jedi radios?

It's not THAT hard, but you must be careful when removing the front housing. The flex that connects the front cover electronics can be VERY brittle, and they are prone to breaking, mainly because of the sharp right angle bend where the ZIF socket accepts the flex.

You also have to use care when opening the Jedi housing. The plastic wall that retains the front cover to the radio is very thin. Motorola used to make a tool similar to the XTS removal tool, but I always had luck with a dull butter knife (and it didn't wear out). Use just enough force to separate the chassis retainer tabs. Too much and the thin retaining wall will break.

Also, isn't the mts2000 the only Jedi radio that can be programmed with a windows based CPS? Unlike the others that require you to run the RSS in Dos.

Correct. The MTS2000 is the only Jedi that had CPS released for it. Last version dates to 2008 (rebanding). It is only officially supported in XP/Vista, and 32 bit at that. It will work on 7 (32 bit) and some installs of 10.

Caveat. Very early MTS2000s (firmware older than 5.xx) actually had masked ROM controllers like the MT2000/MTX series and will NOT play nice with CPS. You have to use MTSX RSS on those. These are known as 256K MTS2000s and generally were made prior to 1994. (S/Ns have an S or T for 1992 and 1993 respectively). But you can always check the radios firmware version by placing the unit into field test mode by pressing SB1 five times in a row within 10 seconds of a cold boot.

BEWARE of TOOLPROOFING. Using unmentionable versions of MTSX RSS to WRITE to an MTS2000 who's firmware is greater that is R05.42 or greater will result in a dreaded FAIL 01/93. It's not easily recoverable.

Danny37

You're better off trying to find a 450-512 split. and doing the hex edit to bring that down to 440 if you're trying to accomplish ham and NYC stuff.

I really dig the top display but 48 channels isn't enough I believe, and if I could mod mt2000 to do 99 channels that would be great but I don't know if anyone here or on eBay offers that service. I think I may just go with the kenwood tk-390 or a vertex vx-800 (even though the vertex has poor RF filtering) definitely need the t-band other wise it'll be useless for me.

Danny37

It's not THAT hard, but you must be careful when removing the front housing. The flex that connects the front cover electronics can be VERY brittle, and they are prone to breaking, mainly because of the sharp right angle bend where the ZIF socket accepts the flex.

You also have to use care when opening the Jedi housing. The plastic wall that retains the front cover to the radio is very thin. Motorola used to make a tool similar to the XTS removal tool, but I always had luck with a dull butter knife (and it didn't wear out). Use just enough force to separate the chassis retainer tabs. Too much and the thin retaining wall will break.

Correct. The MTS2000 is the only Jedi that had CPS released for it. Last version dates to 2008 (rebanding). It is only officially supported in XP/Vista, and 32 bit at that. It will work on 7 (32 bit) and some installs of 10.

Caveat. Very early MTS2000s (firmware older than 5.xx) actually had masked ROM controllers like the MT2000/MTX series and will NOT play nice with CPS. You have to use MTSX RSS on those. These are known as 256K MTS2000s and generally were made prior to 1994. (S/Ns have an S or T for 1992 and 1993 respectively). But you can always check the radios firmware version by placing the unit into field test mode by pressing SB1 five times in a row within 10 seconds of a cold boot.

BEWARE of TOOLPROOFING. Using unmentionable versions of MTSX RSS to WRITE to an MTS2000 who's firmware is greater that is R05.42 or greater will result in a dreaded FAIL 01/93. It's not easily recoverable.

Thank you for being so informative, really useful information here.

One thing, the mt2000 48 channel radio can be converted to a mtx838 to do 99 channels from what I've researched. How would I go about doing this, is it as simple as a forcing a mtx838 code plug into the radio and I believe the channel selector needs to modded to be continuous for it to go up to channel 33 in each bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.