RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 9:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Astro Spectra startup question

Hey guys, Iíve always wondered about this, but is there a way to reprogram the radio to startup as soon as I turn on my power supply? I have two of these radios I use as base stations, and every time I turn on the power source, I have to manually push the power button on the radio for it to come on. Iíve heard it has something to do with the ignition sense wire, but I was still wondering if there is a way to make it turn on automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ō=a bad day for scanner enthusiasts, and also a bad day for public safety...
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The only way is with ignition sense like you have heard. Connect the ignition sense wire to your +12v of the power supply powering the radios. When the power supply turns on, so will the radios.

Last edited by SimpleSkye; 06-14-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Old 06-14-2018, 6:12 PM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Even if you connect the power and the ignition together on the same power supply, when you turn on the power supply, you'll still have to press the power button on the radio. This is because the power wire must be on a constant power source for it to retain the "power state" when the ignition wire is on/off. There is a mod for the control head that bypasses this if you are using it as a base. It involves removing or adding a jumper near the power button on the control head. It's not hard to do. I used this mod on a Spectra repeater that used two Spectra radios and I needed them to turn on automatically.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:17 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
Even if you connect the power and the ignition together on the same power supply, when you turn on the power supply, you'll still have to press the power button on the radio. This is because the power wire must be on a constant power source for it to retain the "power state" when the ignition wire is on/off. There is a mod for the control head that bypasses this if you are using it as a base. It involves removing or adding a jumper near the power button on the control head. It's not hard to do. I used this mod on a Spectra repeater that used two Spectra radios and I needed them to turn on automatically.
Huh - I didn't know that! Learn something new every day...

I always had the radio connected to the battery and ignition going to some other circuit, so I guess I never would have noticed.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:20 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As long as the main power wire is always at 12V and you use the ignition wire to turn on/off the radio, it will follow the ignition wire. If you lose power to the main wire, then it will forget its state and have to be powered on manually. Same goes for last channel selected, etc. If you lose power altogether, then it will power on on the home channel.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
As long as the main power wire is always at 12V and you use the ignition wire to turn on/off the radio, it will follow the ignition wire. If you lose power to the main wire, then it will forget its state and have to be powered on manually. Same goes for last channel selected, etc. If you lose power altogether, then it will power on on the home channel.

Exactly...

Did you change the IGN settings in the CPS? I am going to check in my CPS on this.
Old 06-14-2018, 6:43 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

JU7 controls the power button bypass. Jumper JU7 & JU1 and it will power on without you needing to press the power button.

This is per Repeater Builder, here:
http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...n-jumpers.html

Last edited by rescue161; 06-14-2018 at 7:00 PM..
Old 06-15-2018, 6:58 AM

Or use a W-4 head