• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quantar repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I am looking for information about these stations. The model descriptions in auction sites are pretty slim. It's not like the old model numbers that would at least give you the power level and whether its trunked or not. It is very difficult to determine whether a station is 20 watt or 100 watt, and can a Trunked 3600bd station be converted to analog and or P-25 conventional without much fuss besides programming.

radioman2001

Thanks I saw that, but as even stated by the author there is so little info on these stations that the author had to remove his e-mail because of all the questions he was getting.

I am going to e-mail the seller and ask for a listing or pictures of the individual modules with part numbers, as I see it that's the only concrete way of knowing what you are getting.

As far as converting trunked to conventional I am sure I can figure that out even if it's not MOT's way.

SimpleSkye

+1 for asking the seller. If anything, he can take a picture of the SCM and send it to you - that will help tons. Or send a codeplug!

High power: Fans on the front of the PA.
Low Power: No fans on the PA.

To know if it is Trunking-only, you have to know the model (Epic 1, 2, 3... I think Epic 6 was the newest) of the SCM inside it. Most control modules, depending on firmware, are somewhat flexible and let you change their mode of operation, but there are some that will only do trunking - usually those are found in the 800mHz range floating around eBay, sometimes called IntelliRepeaters.

Hope that helps. I haven't found anything that has all the info in once place, just picked stuff up along the way.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
It honestly depends on the repeater. Most of the time, they are easily converted in the RSS by simply telling the RSS what the repeater is (conventional, IR, trunked, etc). P25 trunking had a different SCM compared to standalone/SmartNet repeaters.

A true IntelliRepeater can be conventional or trunked as the only difference to the SCM is it has "expansion" EPROM chips in otherwise vacant slots on the SCM. What made the Intelli's so special was all of the trunking logic was handled in the SCM compared to an external site controller and they could be interfaced to a zone controller for multi-site applications. This was however, only supported in a Type II configuration and external site controllers had to be utilized for P25 trunking. Another cool bit about the Intelli's, the system could be configured to release the control channel and become a voice channel if all voice channels were busy...which allowed it to be used as a single channel trunking system.

Many agencies simply kept the name IntelliRepeater site when they migrated to Astro 25 to signify a non-simulcast site. Example, City of Austin considers all of their non-simulcast sites IR sites even though they were not being operated in IR configuration post-Astro 25 migration but they were utilizing the Quantars which were in operation as IR's prior to the migration...most if not all of which have been upgraded to GTR8000 ESS's which don't support IR configuration to begin with.

The big thing is looking at the SCM. The trunking only SCM's tend to have more trunking oriented labeling on the face-plate compared to SCM's capable of being utilized in conventional modes.

radioman2001

Wow lots of good info not found anywhere else. There are IntelliRepeaters out there, and there seems to be a large number of 3600 bd Type II trunking ones out there right now. That you can tell by the label with a connect tone listed, and I don't believe that Quantars were around during Type I implementation.

So if I read this right a IR would be a better buy if the price is right?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Wow lots of good info not found anywhere else. There are IntelliRepeaters out there, and there seems to be a large number of 3600 bd Type II trunking ones out there right now. That you can tell by the label with a connect tone listed, and I don't believe that Quantars were around during Type I implementation.

So if I read this right a IR would be a better buy if the price is right?

I've got Quantro's being used on a Type I system right now (Quantar with a 150W MSF5000 PA) and I keep Quantar's as backups since they are easier to find and were supported longer. Theoretically, I could interface any analog capable repeater as a Type I or Type II system. Intelli's would only support Type II if you were using them as Intelli's though (and not directly interfaced to the Startsite or 6809).

Status
Not open for further replies.