RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 1:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Questions surround Hytera’s DMR future in U.S. after trade court finds infringement

From Urgent Communications
China-based Hytera Communications’ ability to import and sell certain DMR equipment and software into the United States could be jeopardized later this year or early next year after U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) administrative law judge today determined that Hytera has infringed on four Motorola Solutions patents.

http://urgentcomm.com/motorola-solut...nfringement-mo

Last edited by KevinC; 07-04-2018 at 2:05 PM.. Reason: Complete quote of copyrighted article. I added a link to the article.
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2018, 2:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

What would we lose from them?
Old 07-05-2018, 5:01 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7PBS View Post
What would we lose from them?
Motorola’s monopoly.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Motorola has a monopoly on DMR? Although they've got parameters that build "above and beyond" the base DMR protocol, it's not like they're the only manufacturer in the game who has been doing that.

DMR is an open standard - but it's up to the buying customer to either choose to keep the open format, or go down a proprietary "enhancement" path for extra features/benefits.

I've got no problem with giving people the freedom to make choices, as long as they know the choice. You can say that Motorola hasn't really made it clear that some choices are being made for the customer in the default programming settings, but that's a different argument than a monopoly.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:11 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That’s not what I wrote. When a county puts out a bid for a new system, & chooses say Harris, Motorola then sues because they didn’t win. They think everyone should automatically choose them. Well they’re not he only game in town, & I was sort of hoping Hytera would have won this case. But wait, Hytera can appeal the ruling until the cows come home. And believe it or not, the President can overturn the ruling. So it ain’t a done deal yet.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

That is BS. In fact the opposite happening now in florida!

Q2222A
Old 07-06-2018, 2:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You’re right. It is BS how Moto has a temper tantrum every time they lose a bid. Many more gov’t agencies are now choosing Harris than in the past. Locally, Metro Dade, West Palm Beach, and I think Miami Beach just chose Harris for a P25 system. They no longer hold the monopoly they used to.
Old 07-08-2018, 3:04 PM

Per Hytera, Hytera has already changed their radios/firmware to exclude the issues presented by Motorola. Hytera has submitted samples of these changed radios to the judge in this case for review. I predict no major changes at Moto or Hytera, other than a fine that Hytera ends up paying. TT
Old 07-08-2018, 5:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTyron View Post
Per Hytera, Hytera has already changed their radios/firmware to exclude the issues presented by Motorola. Hytera has submitted samples of these changed radios to the judge in this case for review. I predict no major changes at Moto or Hytera, other than a fine that Hytera ends up paying. TT
Glad to hear this. My friend works at Hytera USA west of Ft. Lauderdale, & they make good radios. Our Florida statewide DMR system uses 7 Hytera repeaters. They are well made. Some people think that because Hytera is made in China, it’s the same as a Baofeng, Wouxun, TYT, Radioddity, Anytone, etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. Hytera is the largest Tetra mfr in the world