RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 9:27 PM

And just because I have to throw my $.02 as well, if you go with anything other than Motorola/Kenwood (i usually see Hytera as the common alternative) just expect to have the Hytera radios replaced within 1.5 years if you are going to be using them for anything other than light office work. Pricing for a digital CP200d is usually $450 and pricing for an SLR5700 (SLR5700 is actually $500 cheaper than the SLR1000) digital repeater is usually $2400 if you are paying more than this for these items tell your vendor you will need some competitive bids and the vendor will lower it.

Edit: I would also highly recommend going digital as purchasing an analog system nowadays is like buying an iPhone 3 in 2018. Yes, the iPhone 3 can do the basic functions you want it to and yes its slightly cheaper than a newer iPhone, but, as soon as you want to download that new app and/or integrate your iPhone 3 with anything else, you will be faced with the reality that you will need to have it replaced with a newer model in order to achieve what you set out to do.

Last edited by Aaron_B; 07-11-2018 at 9:37 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
And just because I have to throw my $.02 as well, if you go with anything other than Motorola/Kenwood (i usually see Hytera as the common alternative) just expect to have the Hytera radios replaced within 1.5 years if you are going to be using them for anything other than light office work. Pricing for a digital CP200d is usually $450 and pricing for an SLR5700 (SLR5700 is actually $500 cheaper than the SLR1000) digital repeater is usually $2400 if you are paying more than this for these items tell your vendor you will need some competitive bids and the vendor will lower it.

Edit: I would also highly recommend going digital as purchasing an analog system nowadays is like buying an iPhone 3 in 2018. Yes, the iPhone 3 can do the basic functions you want it to and yes its slightly cheaper than a newer iPhone, but, as soon as you want to download that new app and/or integrate your iPhone 3 with anything else, you will be faced with the reality that you will need to have it replaced with a newer model in order to achieve what you set out to do.
Good insight. Thanks for the information, and the others as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 1:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

IPSC is a very simple architecture that I do believe would suit your needs exactly based on description.
Old 07-12-2018, 4:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
Understood. I was talking about an external IP to 2 or 4 wire interface.
As mmckenna stated, something like a JPS NXU-2A connected to a mobile at each end would be much more cost effective if all you're trying to do is link the sites and have decent simplex coverage.

Not everything needs a repeater...

In addition, Hytera offers analog IPSC in their RD982S model....so that's a thing too...
Old 08-17-2018, 1:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1GTL View Post
IP Site Connect. One SLR5700 repeater at each location with duplexer and antenna. CP200d subscribers. Simple, done!
Just to update: I've got two local providers coming out to quote implementing an IP Site Connect system.

Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG_rrt View Post
Just to update: I've got two local providers coming out to quote implementing an IP Site Connect system.

Thanks for the advice.
I'd get other vendors to come out and quote if you can.

Do you have existing WiFi in the buildings? Look at Icom's IP radios.... they are slick.
Old 08-17-2018, 6:49 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nextel lives on. Version 2.
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...h-to-talk.html
Old 08-18-2018, 4:02 PM

Yeah I would definitely look at radio over broadband if comm is just inside the building to another.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
I'd get other vendors to come out and quote if you can.

Do you have existing WiFi in the buildings? Look at Icom's IP radios.... they are slick.
No we don't have existing wifi in any of the building except one, which is the office. I should have mentioned out of the two sites, there are actually 4 separate buildings. One of the offices has wifi, but that's it.