RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2018, 9:25 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default XPR analog channel scanning

I have an XPR5550 and the latest Motorola CPS. I own this radio for amateur DMR, primarily.

However, I also want to be able to scan analog channels. For instance, there are 22 FRS analog channels. I can add a channel "zone" with each of the 22 FRS channels in it. However, if I create a scan list, and try to add all 22 of these channels to it, I get a warning that only 15 channels can be added to a scan list.

Is there a creative solution to being able to scan more than 15 analog channels on the XPR5550?

Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2018, 9:36 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You're limited to 15 channels on the scan list.
Old 07-10-2018, 9:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I do understand that limitation, but I was hoping there might be some kind of way of monitoring 15+ analog channels that isn't immediately obvious in CPS. I use CPS once a year when I take my radio out of my truck for programming updates, and it's like starting from scratch every time... not intuitive.

Last edited by mojobreakfast; 07-10-2018 at 9:46 AM..
Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

15 +1, that is all you're going to get. Unless someone has tried successfully to hex edit the CPS similar to what is done with Astro25 and Astro series CPS to up the list to 20 or so we're stuck with 15+1.
Old 07-10-2018, 2:43 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You could create multiple scan lists and split it up. Channels 1 - 15 could be assigned to scan list 1 and when on channels 1 - 11, it'll scan those 15. Create a second list with channels 8 - 22 and assign that to channels 12 - 22. You'll miss some stuff but that's about as good as you'll get. Other option, buy a scanner.

It's illegal to use that radio on FRS anyway although I realize most people don't care and, since the FCC won't do anything about interference on public safety or commercial broadcast in most cases, they're hardly going to care about FRS.