RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 6:54 PM

Question Assistance with XTS 3000 CPS

Good morning. I've followed about every guide I've seen on "ASTRO Saber & XTX 3000 CPS" but I'm still getting "Communication with radio failed" after about a second of pressing the read button for my XTS 3000 Model III.

It is on the proper com port

I tried it on windows 10 x64, w7 pro x86, w7 in xp compatibility mode, and Windows XP pro x86.

I tried it on a couple PCs and on an ESXI VM host using two USB adapters (one model works for other people for sure) and an actual serial port, on two different new cables i ordered.

I tried the default port settings and I've tried messing with those settings but no change.

I know the radio works, the guy I bought it from did default programming, but he charges for custom programming and I already have all the equipment. Also most guys don't program trunk zones for some reason.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there some sort of programming mode the radio needs to be in like the Minitor V's? Any FULL video on setting this up that might show com port settings or something?

Edit: In W10 and 7, i tried running as admin, in compatibility for 7 vista and xp, and in various combinations.
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2018, 6:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I had the same problem a week ago. Basically my problem was my USB to serial adapter. I bought another one (oddly enough, it was cheaper than the other one) and it now works fine. Also, windows 10 and some versions of 7 wont work with the radios. I personally run Windows XP x32 for all my programming software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
=a bad day for scanner enthusiasts, and also a bad day for public safety...
Old 07-12-2018, 7:00 PM

Do you run it as a VM or physical computer?
Old 07-12-2018, 7:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Physical computer. That computer was bought by a family member in the early 2000s, so its pretty old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
=a bad day for scanner enthusiasts, and also a bad day for public safety...
Old 07-13-2018, 7:27 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Use a machine with XP if you can for programming. Use a real serial port if possible. If no real serial port is available you will have to experiment with USB to serial adapters until you find one that works or ask Will001 which one he used.

Also, there is a very good reason why sellers won't program trunked zones. Try it yourself sometime and you will see why.

Good luck with the radio.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2018, 7:53 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default XTS cable

I have been using a KawaMall cable for my xts 3000 for at least 4 years without any trouble. It uses a serial port, not USB, and Win XP 32 bit is the best choice for the OS. I also have an EF Johnson 5100 and the KawaMall cable has been totally reliable.
Old 07-13-2018, 8:35 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

WIN 10 with a virtual XP will work, if you have a serial port on the MB.

Mounting USB on a XP VM is not recommended.
Old 07-17-2018, 6:42 PM

I run a Dell latitude with windows xp 32bit pro and all my cables are ribless on true serial port and I have never had any problems. I even use it to boot into true DOS and program mt2000 ht1000 and mtx9000 without any problems either. Years ago I bought the Dell off of eBay with no OS for like 100$ then threw xp on it and it still runs like a champ lol I may actually buy another one just in case
Old 07-19-2018, 8:12 AM

All the ribless cables actually have the Max 202 chip in the db-9, so basically they are ribs of their own. It is best and safe to stick with the computer era the radio was built in. I have had problems with some Sabers getting corrupted with a too new computer.
Old 07-19-2018, 9:11 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Sounds like it might be an internal connection problem.