RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 9:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Does FPP in the APX Model Negate CPS for Basic Use?

In the APX models with FPP, if you are simply using analog vhf/uhf can you program and use the radio without needing the CPS?
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2018, 10:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Probably will work for simple analog. I have a VHF EF Jonson 5100 that is fairly easy to program with FPP. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to implement the FPP. Most professional grade radio are locked to prevent users from making changes from the keypad and require software to open that feature
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspence View Post
Probably will work for simple analog. I have a VHF EF Jonson 5100 that is fairly easy to program with FPP. It all depends on how the manufacturer decides to implement the FPP. Most professional grade radio are locked to prevent users from making changes from the keypad and require software to open that feature
There is one youtube video out there, showing a user using FPP on the 6000 just to demonstrate. It does show the ability to edit RX, TX and Tone in the channel, but I just wanted to confirm with more experienced users, if that will persuade me one way or another.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG_rrt View Post
There is one youtube video out there, showing a user using FPP on the 6000 just to demonstrate. It does show the ability to edit RX, TX and Tone in the channel, but I just wanted to confirm with more experienced users, if that will persuade me one way or another.

You need CPS just to enable FPP as you select which zones are FPP capable. Youre not going to do anything trunking related with it. Its really just for conventional channels.

What were you hoping to do?
Old 07-13-2018, 6:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Boh View Post
You need CPS just to enable FPP as you select which zones are FPP capable. Youre not going to do anything trunking related with it. Its really just for conventional channels.
And that is important to quote and restate. You need to enable FPP on the zone first, using CPS. So it requires at least one touch with CPS at some point.
Once the zone is enabled, you can edit conventional channels from the front panel.
Sponsored links
Old 07-13-2018, 7:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Boh View Post

What were you hoping to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
And that is important to quote and restate. You need to enable FPP on the zone first, using CPS. So it requires at least one touch with CPS at some point.
Once the zone is enabled, you can edit conventional channels from the front panel.
Thanks for the information. I would want to just edit/add/delete conventional channels. I don't have the radio yet, I do have CPS for the XPR but not the APX, which is why I asked.
Old 07-13-2018, 3:37 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You would still need CPS to assign button functions, menu choices, & other settings. Basically FPP is for changing freq’s, PL tones, nac codes, etc. For the other 80%, you still need CPS.
Old 07-13-2018, 3:45 PM

Let me expand a little bit.. once you have your buttons and radio-wide features set up the way you want, FPP is sufficient if all you need is a few zones.

What I have seen is people not setting FPP up properly and using one personality per zone. Remember that for FPP to function properly on an APX, you need to create one personality per channel. XTSs do this automatically when you enable FPP on a zone, but APXs will let you make that mistake.

I say all that to say that if you plan on having someone set the radio up for FPP for you and not having the software, make sure they know what they are doing.
Old 07-13-2018, 4:36 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLebowski View Post
Let me expand a little bit.. once you have your buttons and radio-wide features set up the way you want, FPP is sufficient if all you need is a few zones.

What I have seen is people not setting FPP up properly and using one personality per zone. Remember that for FPP to function properly on an APX, you need to create one personality per channel. XTSs do this automatically when you enable FPP on a zone, but APXs will let you make that mistake.
This is correct for my XTS radios. I have the first zone set for FPP. One personality per ch in the first zone. Then 3 more personalities for the rest of the radio. Non Astro, Astro, Astro ADP. So 19 personalities for the radio. But my APX has only 3 personalities for the entire radio. Non Astro, Astro, Astro ADP. But yet all the freqs in the radio are FPP. Over 20 zones, all FPP, & 3 personalities. They did it right in the APX, unlike the XTS. And the 4 meg XTS is even worse than the 8 meg XTS.
Old 07-13-2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:

I say all that to say that if you plan on having someone set the radio up for FPP for you and not having the software, make sure they know what they are doing.
That's really good advice. I've seen several people bummed out with fpp and it was because they had no idea to use the cps.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Why is that (that you need 1 personality per FPP channel on APX)? What doesn't function correctly if you don't do that?
Old 07-13-2018, 5:19 PM

If you only use one personality, you will be able to edit and save most channel parameters individually but if you make a major change to one channel such as switching from Analog TX to Astro TX, it will affect all the channels using that personality.

If you want all channels to be completely independent of one another you need to use a separate personality for each channel. Alternately, you can just make one zone all analog and one all Astro and use two personalities.

I was using Firmware 14 when I found this.. not sure if anything has changed since then.
Old 07-13-2018, 5:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Ok, thank you. I already had a zone for FPP blanks and had them set up as two personalities, one analog and one P25.