• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR3300 in industrial noise environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyref2

Hello,
I work at a manufacturing facility with high noise levels, up to and over ~100db in areas. (1500hp motors, high pressure blowers, fans, compressors, conveyors, hydraulic pumps, forklifts, etc)
We currently run analog with PR860, xpr 3300/3300e and cp200d with remote speaker mic's. We are looking to migrate to DMR, likely on xpr3300e with the noise cancelling RSM's.

I have been testing out various DMR settings on two XPR 3300, and even got SINC+ (advanced noise cancelling) and RX audio leveling added to them to play with. (Simplex)

The issue is this. when transmitting in loud areas, things seem much more touchy in DMR. The audio level seems to go up/down a lot for the person on the receiving end, and at times you have to talk very loud, or nothing at all comes over (voice is getting noise cancelled?) and you need to use great mic habits. I have also heard where it sounds like banging coming over the radio in the background as well.. Audio clarity also gets very bad. Although you don't hear the background noise. In analog you hear the background noise, but you can talk in a normal voice and be heard. AGC is enabled. Running latest firmware (2.09)

Thoughts on how to improve things?
Thanks

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
A couple of things.... the advanced noise cancelling and noise cancelling mic fight each other. Turn off the advanced noise cancelling when using the noise cancelling accessory. Next, disable AGC, and go with fixed gain. If you post your exact accessory part number, I will post gain settings for analog and digital that may work better. Remember, there is no magic fix and be very suspicious of anyone who says there is. Be especially suspicious of anyone with an M on their chest when dealing with audio issies..... TT.

hockeyref2

Thanks TT,
We are using IMPRES Noise-Cancelling Remote Speaker Microphone (PMMN4071). I have asked our dealer the same question and they said they would get back to me... not sure what his shirt says, as he is across the country ;-p

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Disable enhanced noise suppressor (no more than basic). Disable accessory analog and digital AGC and try analog 6db gain, digital 10db gain. Perform some testing. Then compare to 3db analog and 7db digital. I don't have that mic in my sheet, my sheet is older. Report back. TT

hockeyref2

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of radios programmed with AGC turned off and your suggested settings. Unfortunately we are in an extended maintenance outage and so it will be awhile before I have noise again to test!

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
And to muddy the waters even more. A very prominent user from another Professional Type communications board has a very good post regarding this very thing. It is interesting that his experiences are different than mine. However, dont take anyone's word at this. You must find the settings that work best for your users in their situations. TT

RadioGuy7268

... and make sure that you're using the same firmware & codeplug on the units you're testing out. The non-e units will act & respond differently to the same settings as compared to a similar model "e" unit.

Receive Audio Leveling seems to be about the only Plug & Play audio enhancement that works well out of the box IMHO. The rest all require trial & Semi-SWAG guessing games, while trying to duplicate the enviroment you plan to deploy them in. You should probably also have access to Moto Tuner, as many of the audio levels will never reach what they should be until you tweak and tune them with Tuner.

At least they don't sound like the proverbial donald duck trapped in a tin outhouse any more.

hockeyref2

We are in the middle of a major project and are shut down so i don't have any noise to test in! I did some testing with AGC On/Off (with various gain settings when off) and RX Audio Leveling On/Off in various combinations. In a quiet office environment, I got the most consistent audio, even when greatly varying the position of the remote speaker mic, with AGC on and RX Leveling on. My dealer told me that there were reported issues with SINC and RX Audio leveling in older firmware but has been fixed in 2.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.