RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Motorola Forum

Motorola Forum - For general discussion of Motorola land mobile radio equipment and their trunking technologies.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 1:18 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default HT1000 & MT2000 tech question?

I have an HT1000 16-Channel UHF (S split) that has super low audio on receive. When I swapped it out to replace the back battery plate I noticed there were two boards....a controller board & transceiver board. If I purchase an S split transceiver board off ebay (that is tested to work) that should fix my issue right?

I also have 2 MT2000's (VHF-K split) one partial keypad & one full keypad both with front displays & both with pixels that are so broken you really can't read them. If I purchase a couple used units on ebay with good pixel displays I can swap out the display boards right regardless of what band split they are?
Old 08-11-2018, 1:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The display assemblies/boards are the same. Full keypad, partial keypad, any band. But if you buy a different transceiver board, & install it, the radio would then need to be aligned, as the tuning settings are stored in the controller board.
Old 08-11-2018, 2:05 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok got it. Thanks Gary.
Old 08-11-2018, 2:56 AM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Is the audio amp on the controller or the RF deck? I can't remember but you might check the service manual.
Old 08-11-2018, 9:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Controller board. U702 on Flashport controllers, U706 on masked ROM controllers.

Link to service manual with part locations:
http://manuals.repeater-builder.com/...81200C75-B.pdf
Old 08-11-2018, 5:50 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't know how to repair the boards myself .... yet but I have swapped them out with no problem. My usual radio guy says it might be more then he can handle as he says Mother M uses some pretty intricate circuits. However I found a guy on ebay who will sell me the boards and have them ready for me to just install for $20 not including shipping. I just have to give him the model # of my "S" split HT1000 and the S/N. I may go that route. Ok so next challenge which I'm pretty sure I can handle myself is getting some good pixel screens from some used MT2000's and/or MTS2000's so I can swap out the two broken pixel screens off my 2 MT2000's. Got some leads off ebay.
Old 08-12-2018, 7:29 AM

Default Why go to all the trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfile1 View Post
I found a guy on ebay who will sell me the boards and have them ready for me to just install for $20 not including shipping. I just have to give him the model # of my "S" split HT1000 and the S/N.
Pretty sure you can find a complete and working HT1000 on eBay for $20 - shipping included. No need to swap parts or boards. Just plug & play.
Old 08-12-2018, 8:34 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy7268 View Post
Pretty sure you can find a complete and working HT1000 on eBay for $20 - shipping included. No need to swap parts or boards. Just plug & play.
I second this. Or pay a little more, & get MTS2000ís.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
I second this. Or pay a little more, & get MTS2000ís.

Or move onto radios that are in every way better. Better built, better performing, smaller and are not all that more expensive.

If the OP is dead set on sticking to Motorola, then I would skip right to either a XTS2500 or XTS5000. Big plus is that the CPS is compatible with modern computers, and you donít need to mess with serial ports.

Frankly I donít know why one wants to mess with anything older, that is fussy if trying to program with a USB->serial adapter.

If one is patient, they can be had for a reasonable price(under $300) there is a TON of this gear hitting the surplus market.

The alternative is to look at other brands.

Vertex and Kenwood make some solid gear, cheap and is far more capable than a HT1000 or MT/MTS2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
This ^^^

I've had an almost 100% success rate buying working HT1000's on eBay. Once you get your working radio, spend a few more bucks on a new or clean used case, if needed, and you end up with an almost new looking radio for pretty cheap.
Old 08-12-2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
Frankly I donít know why one wants to mess with anything older, that is fussy if trying to program with a USB->serial adapter.

If one is patient, they can be had for a reasonable price(under $300) there is a TON of this gear hitting the surplus market.
Price? An HT1000 is 10 dB less costly than an XTS.
Old 08-12-2018, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz0468 View Post
Price? An HT1000 is 10 dB less costly than an XTS.

And itís also 10dB more of a pain in the but to program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayn1n32008 View Post
And it’s also 10dB more of a pain in the but to program.
Depends... I've got DOS computers, RIBs, OEM cables, and software. Programming is a piece of cake.

For someone starting from scratch, a RIBless USB cable and CPS that runs under Windows would be easier. Yeah, DOS could be a pain.

Last edited by zz0468; 08-12-2018 at 5:25 PM.. Reason: So it actually makes sense.
Old 08-12-2018, 5:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't disagree with the newer stuff being far better but I hold a lot of value with the older stuff such as the Genesis, Jedi, Maxtrac, Radius, Spectra, etc. plus I'm set up to program it. I also agree there is a ton of great gear for those series radios on ebay and cheap!!! The prices on the newer stuff is usually a bit more than I want to spend. As far as the HT1000 it's in great shape and works great with the exception of the receive audio problem so I wanna try to fix it so it can be 100%. It'll be good for me to take it apart and learn the inside's as well. And I'll be looking for more of the same cheap on ebay. Matter of fact I bought an HT1000 (VHF) ex-BNSF Railroad radio on Propertyroom.com for $4 with $12.95 shipping and brought it home and programmed it up and she works like a charm!!!!!