• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming a M1225 for a novice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I just bought a VHF M1225, I plan on using this for an audio feed for my local UP railroad line. I have the software to program it on an old laptop running XP, I'm waiting on the programming cable to arrive, so I can't yet connect to it.

I have a few questions.

How many total frequencies can I program into the unit? I will likely only need 3 but I might do more depending on if I receive anything else well.

What other settings will I need to set?

And I want to make sure there is NO WAY possible for this thing to transmit, what do I need to do to make sure of this?

I'll probably have a few more questions once I'm actually able to connect to it, but I thought I'd get a head start. I've only worked with programming my 2 scanners so this is a bit new to me.

Thanks!

clbsquared

There are three different types of M1225's. A four channel model with no display a 20-24 channel model with a display and an LS model. Which one do you have? As far as not transmitting, you can set the channel for receive only.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

clbsquared

Yep. That's the 4 channel radio. Still though, The M1225 is a solid radio. There is also a windows based RSS for the M1225. You aren't limited to only DOS. In my opinion, the windows based RSS is much easier to navigate than the DOS version.

RadioGuy7268

The M1225 software is one of the simplest radio programming software systems that Motorola made - at least as far as the interface goes. You should be able to master it quickly.

If I am remembering correctly - In the channel setup screen - typing in "Blank" for the transmit frequency should do the trick to ensure you'll be receive only.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I don't have any machines that run windows 7 32 bit, only 64 bit, thankfully I have this old laptop still. It blue screens once in a while, but should be stable enough for programming the radio.

Now if my programming cable would get here!

clbsquared

Just remember to read the radio and save the original codeplug FIRST. Then go back and edit the original codeplug to what you want and save it as something other than the original. Don't edit the original and save it as the same. This way, if something goes wrong, you have the original codeplug you could potentially use to recover the radio from a programming error.

6079smithw

Just remember to read the radio and save the original codeplug FIRST.
Absolutely correct! Speaking as a victim of Murphy's Law (many times over the years) I'd advise you go one step farther and save that original codeplug to a CD or flash drive as well. I've had a few machines quit and take the data with them, backups saved the day. 1225s are good units... keep us posted on your progress!

Frank in Reno

cmdrwill

I just bought a VHF M1225,
And I want to make sure there is NO WAY possible for this thing to transmit, what do I need to do to make sure of this?
Thanks!

To program the radio for Receive only enter B for BLANK for the Transmit frequency.

Remember to Archive the 'Code plug' Data FIRST. and save that to a safe place before making any changes.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
OK Got my programming cable, connected fine and saved the original configuration.

Set the TX to B or Blank, programmed in my 3 frequencies. How do I set this to scan on startup? I'm not seeing that option.

clbsquared

See that little "Z" button under the channel selector? That's Tue scan button. Assign the three channels to the scan list in CPS that has that same icon on the tab.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
I think I've done that but I'm not sure that it is actually scanning. Only the CH1 light is lit up. Should more than one channel light be lit up if it is scanning?

clbsquared

Is the mic on the hang up clip? Unless you programmed it for off hook scan, the mic needs to be on the hook to scan.

clbsquared

It's been a while since I've programmed a 1225. I would need to open the codeplug in RSS to really help you. But, yes, the mic should be connected. And also change your power up mode from monitor to standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.