• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Comparison (truck units)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceking007

Hello,

I am newly registered on this forum as I believe it is a good place to get the information I am seeking. I was doing research online but I'd like to have the data compiled by an intelligent individual(s) other than myself, as I'm sure you are better suited given the subject matter than I.

Basically I am looking for a vhf unit for my truck. I have a CB already to go along with it. Years ago I was doing lots of offroading with a local club and had both my CB and vhf mounted in that vehicle but stupidly sold that vhf and that vehicle. Looking today I believe the to I had was an MCS2000 (sounds right), it had a fancy button faced microphone that I never knew the purpose of other than eye candy.

I am currently looking at an MCS2000 model II on eBay and also saw others so if you would kindly oblige me and give me a general overview... perhaps what to look for and what to avoid.

Models I see as possibilities: Spectra W5 : XPR4550 : MCS2000 : XTL5000

Thank you for your time.

P.S. I was considering getting an illegal self programmable scanner/transmitter years ago which is why I sold my "inferior - yet perfectly functional" (dumb idea to sell!!!) Vhf but never did buy one (didn't have the money); that idea was suggested from a local dealer that I had do repairs on my CB unit (I think all he did was take out a capacitor to boost the gain... maybe a couple other things to get it working I can't recall) your input on that would also be appreciated.

Iceking007

I am sorry, I was under the impression they all did the same thing.

I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, that is why I was asking.

I realized since that post that I did in fact own an MCS2000 model II and I had the digital keypad microphone for it. The ratio was in mint condition, I probably paid $3-400 for it presumably off of eBay about a decade ago and sold it for less than $200 (probably about $178) about 6-8 years ago. Just consider me the dumbest human on earth!

Anyways; since I posted and realized how dumb I was I recently bought from eBay another MCS2000 (this unit however is the 110w with separate face plate and just a standard mic; apparently the keypad microphones are rare to find; and worth what I sold my whole to setup for our more in the first place.)

I will always miss my original and will never forgive myself but at least now I will soon have a radio.

Thank you, I have many more questions but those are for other posts/topics.

clbsquared

As others have mentioned...knowing what you want to use it for would help get you the right info. If you will be operating on a licensed frequency, if it's for club use, ham, etc.... Since it's not for public safety, I would stay away from the XTL / XTS line. Not that they aren't great radios, they're just capable of so much more than just analog simplex. Spectras were great units also, but they are old and require slower computers to program. A little more info is definitely needed to get you in the right direction.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I am sorry, I was under the impression they all did the same thing.

I am not sure exactly what I am looking for, that is why I was asking.

It would really help if you told us what you were licensed for. Your license may dictate how much power you can run, how your channels need to be set up, etc.
There are no "license free" channels you can use those radios on.

I realized since that post that I did in fact own an MCS2000 model II and I had the digital keypad microphone for it. The ratio was in mint condition, I probably paid $3-400 for it presumably off of eBay about a decade ago and sold it for less than $200 (probably about $178) about 6-8 years ago.

Anyways; since I posted and realized how dumb I was I recently bought from eBay another MCS2000 (this unit however is the 110w with separate face plate and just a standard mic; apparently the keypad microphones are rare to find; and worth what I sold my whole to setup for our more in the first place.)

DTMF microphone.
Not rare, just that most users don't need them. They don't really do much unless you use DTMF for controlling remote equipment or have access to a telephone interconnect.
Unfortunately many amateur radio operators feel they need one and will often drive up the price. The standard microphones work just fine.

MCS-2000's are older radios, but still functional and will do what most people need. A good choice for many. If you got it for a good price, then it's probably a good deal.

110 watt radios are overkill for most users. The standard lower power units are fine for just about all users. Even CalFire has moved away from higher power radios. Just doesn't make that much an impact on range. The antenna is more important than the power output.

Iceking007

Well that's not easy for me to answer. That's the problem. If I had survivors I could say "I'm looking for this..." then of course you could help me out easily.

I will use this radio to learn what I am looking for and then if I need help with that one day I can come back and ask.

I'm not trying to be difficult or evasive; it's just that I literally don't know.

With regards to 110w. I am learning all of this now. I thought more power was better; but it was the only good looking radio available that I could find (given I was looking for an MCS on the VHF band). I won't be happy until I find a replacement for the radio I used to have which was a one piece radio not a remote mount; so it couldn't have been that high of a power output. My search continues but for now that one should do.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are not licensed, then using a 110 watt radio on a random frequency is likely going to create issues.
Trouble with the MCS radios is that you can only turn the output power down so far then they become unpredictable with what sort of garbage they spit out.

Getting a lower power radio in the package you want might be a better idea.

As for licensing…
Check into getting your amateur radio license. It's not hard, no Morse code required. You could then legally put the radio on the 2 meter amateur radio band and have access to a lot of repeaters.
A number of off road clubs use 2 meters for off road trail runs.

Iceking007

Thank you mmckenna, and others with the helpful advice.

I do understand that everyone is doing their best to help and I haven't given you much.
In some ways it's comparable to questioning why someone would choose to own a firearm, even if they plan on never shooting anyone.
In other ways it's comparable to inquiring about a microwave and being asked what I'm putting into it. Obviously if I only wanted to cook potatoes I would say so. Likewise if I only wanted to illegally hack into emergency/government frequencies I would also divulge that; or do my own research.

The purpose of this post was to gather popular opinion of available models I have seen. Much in the same way as asking which model Ford Mustang to purchase of a few versions (instead of getting people's opinions, likes, dislikes, and such; being asked what I'm planning to do with it).

But I digress, and no hard feelings, just my view of my side. I also sympathize and appreciate with your view, easier to answer specifics when given specifics; unfortunately as I stated I had none.

Since I've already made a purchase, and this thread is sidetracked... let's wander off topic if you so choose to oblige.

I'm looking for a general use vhf radio.

I have the provision to use it with work.

I have the provision to use it with SAR.

I have the desire to learn.

I think they are cool and choose to own one.

I would be interested in owning my own frequency (if any are still available, chances are now a days not likely).

I would like to have one if I ever needed one (read as you choose).

I am looking at getting training as suggested.

I think I've rambled on long enough. Hope I didn't offend or come off too strong.

P.S. I had no idea 4wd clubs used vhf. Back when I had both radios installed in my off-roader, the club only used CB so sadly I could not use my vhf ) : . I have been considering selling my truck and buying a different vehicle to get back into offroading, another reason why I'm reluctant to drill holes in the roof; but that is currently another thread I started.

Cheers.

kjl13

QRT

I do understand that everyone is doing their best to help and I haven't given you much.
In some ways it's comparable to questioning why someone would choose to own a firearm, even if they plan on never shooting anyone.
In other ways it's comparable to inquiring about a microwave and being asked what I'm putting into it. Obviously if I only wanted to cook potatoes I would say so. Likewise if I only wanted to illegally hack into emergency/government frequencies I would also divulge that; or do my own research.

The purpose of this post was to gather popular opinion of available models I have seen. Much in the same way as asking which model Ford Mustang to purchase of a few versions (instead of getting people's opinions, likes, dislikes, and such; being asked what I'm planning to do with it).

But I digress, and no hard feelings, just my view of my side. I also sympathize and appreciate with your view, easier to answer specifics when given specifics; unfortunately as I stated I had none.

Since I've already made a purchase, and this thread is sidetracked... let's wander off topic if you so choose to oblige.

I would be interested in owning my own frequency (if any are still available, chances are now a days not likely).

I think I've rambled on long enough. Hope I didn't offend or come off too strong.

P.S. I had no idea 4wd clubs used vhf. Back when I had both radios installed in my off-roader, the club only used CB so sadly I could not use my vhf ) : . I have been considering selling my truck and buying a different vehicle to get back into offroading, another reason why I'm reluctant to drill holes in the roof; but that is currently another thread I started.

Cheers.

Hey, I am glad to see you are interested in this and I am not discouraging you from having it. I noticed you said you wanted your own frequency. If you are looking for a private frequency that be yours I’d recommend looking into either having a part 90 mobile repester, or a part 90 simplex system. But you need to keep in mind that VHF and UHF is line of sight. And if you were to get one frequeny for simplex the power output of the radio would not matter as there is only a limit that you would not hit. And when getting the frequeny you would specify the power output.

I did not really look into that radio too much, but I presume it is analog. You could also get a digital p25 radio which is clearer and it would also be clearer when at longer distances.

Dm me if you want to chat.

Regards,
Kyle

EDIT: a XTL5000 would be a great choice, even thought it has some stuff you don’t need like trucking and encryption.(unless you need that) but having those features would be dependent on the flash though.

Last edited:

Iceking007

Hi Kyle, thank you.

I think a repeater system is far too advanced. I would just be looking for broadcast authorization for a vhf frequency so if I wanted to chat with friends, use it, maybe if I started another business etc etc. Just a thought at this point.

I will have to look into that part 90 system.

I appreciate the equipment recommendation, I will also consider buying one of those. I am not concerned with extra features, best to have and not need, than to need and not have.

kjl13

QRT
Hi Kyle, thank you.

I think a repeater system is far too advanced. I would just be looking for broadcast authorization for a vhf frequency so if I wanted to chat with friends, use it, maybe if I started another business etc etc. Just a thought at this point.

I will have to look into that part 90 system.

I appreciate the equipment recommendation, I will also consider buying one of those. I am not concerned with extra features, best to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Yea, if you are just looking to do line of sight communication the cost for a pair of frequencies would cost more. So only get what you need.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Kyle

N4KVE

Cheers.
The difference is you need a Government license to transmit on the radio. You do not need a license to use a microwave.

N4KVE

Yes you need a license, but just owning it is not illegal.
Agreed. So that would be like owning a car, but not having a driver's license. People should have a need for a radio, & buy the appropriate radio to fill that need. It seems many people here with no FCC license buy a radio without knowing anything about it [freq, or mode] & then come here asking what they can do with the radio they bought.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

It's a real challenge when someone who has recently joined the board comes in and asks very vague questions.
We don't know how much detail to go into. Overwhelming someone new with a lot of technical details when they don't have any background, knowledge or training to properly process that data doesn't really do anyone any good.
For one, it overwhelms the OP asking a question and looking for a simple answer.
Two, our fingers get tired from typing it all out.

Having a starting point helps a lot.

No hard feelings. Many of us have been doing this for a long time and are well beyond that. We're here because we want to help.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Good questions, good statements.

The reason we touch on the legality issues is because for newcomers that don't understand much about radio, it's easy to assume that if it's sold as a consumer product, it must be perfectly legal to use however they choose.
As professionals, I'll always start off with what's legal in the eyes of the FCC. Explaining the correct and legal way to proceed gives the individual a good start in the right direction.

However, if someone chooses to take all that and go in a different direction, that's OK with us. We gave you the right information to start off with. What you do with it is your own business. Nothing you do is going to impact me.

Again, as a professional (as in I get paid to do this stuff as a career), I'll never encourage someone to do something that's outside the FCC rules. I have professional standards that I uphold. It's my job at work to make sure we do things correctly.
What you do as an individual is entirely up to you.

P.S. I had no idea 4wd clubs used vhf. Back when I had both radios installed in my off-roader, the club only used CB so sadly I could not use my vhf ) : . I have been considering selling my truck and buying a different vehicle to get back into offroading, another reason why I'm reluctant to drill holes in the roof; but that is currently another thread I started..

Some do, some don't. Some off road clubs that are really serious about getting into the back country get a large number of their members involved in amateur radio. That can be a big benefit compared to CB, FRS or even GMRS. Having access to repeaters, maybe having long range HF communications ability, etc. improves the chances of getting help in an emergency. It also lets them get involved in different areas, like search and rescue, public service, etc.

Hey, I am glad to see you are interested in this and I am not discouraging you from having it. I noticed you said you wanted your own frequency. If you are looking for a private frequency that be yours I’d recommend looking into either having a part 90 mobile repester, or a part 90 simplex system. But you need to keep in mind that VHF and UHF is line of sight. And if you were to get one frequeny for simplex the power output of the radio would not matter as there is only a limit that you would not hit. And when getting the frequeny you would specify the power output.

There are limitations under Part 90. Also, working with a frequency coordinator to choose a frequency will involve establishing areas of operation, power levels, ERP levels, etc. Protecting co-channel users is important.

A good option is to license an itinerant frequency. Those allow you to move around over a wider area, but does come with limitations on power levels.

I did not really look into that radio too much, but I presume it is analog. You could also get a digital p25 radio which is clearer and it would also be clearer when at longer distances.

MCS2000 is an analog radio.

EDIT: a XTL5000 would be a great choice, even thought it has some stuff you don’t need like trucking and encryption.(unless you need that) but having those features would be dependent on the flash though.

Yes, good radios, but can be overwhelming for those new to radio. Motorola programming software is expensive, as are the Motorola branded programming cables. The XTL/XTS line of radios can be very complex and difficult to program for those with out some experience. MCS-2000's are a bit easier.
Paying extra for an XTL-5000 might not be a good investment. Unless the OP licenses for digital or has access to a trunking system, many of the features of the radio will be useless.

Yea, if you are just looking to do line of sight communication the cost for a pair of frequencies would cost more. So only get what you need.

It might cost more to coordinate a pair of frequencies, but the license won't cost any more.
Again, for simplex use, a few itinerant frequencies might be a good choice.

Yes you need a license, but just owning it is not illegal.

Absolutely. Many people use commercial transceivers as receivers only. The better front end filtering and better receivers often outperform scanners drastically.

kjl13

QRT
It's a real challenge when someone who has recently joined the board comes in and asks very vague questions.

We don't know how much detail to go into. Overwhelming someone new with a lot of technical details when they don't have any background, knowledge or training to properly process that data doesn't really do anyone any good.

For one, it overwhelms the OP asking a question and looking for a simple answer.

Two, our fingers get tired from typing it all out.

Having a starting point helps a lot.

No hard feelings. Many of us have been doing this for a long time and are well beyond that. We're here because we want to help.

Nothing wrong with any of that. Good questions, good statements.

The reason we touch on the legality issues is because for newcomers that don't understand much about radio, it's easy to assume that if it's sold as a consumer product, it must be perfectly legal to use however they choose.

As professionals, I'll always start off with what's legal in the eyes of the FCC. Explaining the correct and legal way to proceed gives the individual a good start in the right direction.

However, if someone chooses to take all that and go in a different direction, that's OK with us. We gave you the right information to start off with. What you do with it is your own business. Nothing you do is going to impact me.

Again, as a professional (as in I get paid to do this stuff as a career), I'll never encourage someone to do something that's outside the FCC rules. I have professional standards that I uphold. It's my job at work to make sure we do things correctly.

What you do as an individual is entirely up to you.

Some do, some don't. Some off road clubs that are really serious about getting into the back country get a large number of their members involved in amateur radio. That can be a big benefit compared to CB, FRS or even GMRS. Having access to repeaters, maybe having long range HF communications ability, etc. improves the chances of getting help in an emergency. It also lets them get involved in different areas, like search and rescue, public service, etc.

There are limitations under Part 90. Also, working with a frequency coordinator to choose a frequency will involve establishing areas of operation, power levels, ERP levels, etc. Protecting co-channel users is important.

A good option is to license an itinerant frequency. Those allow you to move around over a wider area, but does come with limitations on power levels.

MCS2000 is an analog radio.

Yes, good radios, but can be overwhelming for those new to radio. Motorola programming software is expensive, as are the Motorola branded programming cables. The XTL/XTS line of radios can be very complex and difficult to program for those with out some experience. MCS-2000's are a bit easier.

Paying extra for an XTL-5000 might not be a good investment. Unless the OP licenses for digital or has access to a trunking system, many of the features of the radio will be useless.

It might cost more to coordinate a pair of frequencies, but the license won't cost any more.

Again, for simplex use, a few itinerant frequencies might be a good choice.

Absolutely. Many people use commercial transceivers as receivers only. The better front end filtering and better receivers often outperform scanners drastically.

I have a commercial repeater and it does cost more to license more frequencies. Also I am fully aware there are limitations with the land mobile radio service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.