• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS5000 5000R Model I - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
I am in the market for my first professional Motorola radio and I am heavily considering an XTS5000 Model I with the MPN:H18KEC9PW5AN.

Does this radio support MDC1200 Signalling?

How arduous is it to program this radio?

Any other information can be provided upon request.

Thanks!

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Yes.

Very.

You should consider the model III with FPP to make it easier to program. FPP is front panel programming. Otherwise you will need a software and cable to program with a PC. The software is not free and requires a Motorola account to purchase a subscription. Or you could have a deal program it for you. But FPP would let you do it yourself easily.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Yes.

Very.

You should consider the model III with FPP to make it easier to program. FPP is front panel programming. Otherwise you will need a software and cable to program with a PC. The software is not free and requires a Motorola account to purchase a subscription. Or you could have a deal program it for you. But FPP would let you do it yourself easily.

I would love to get one with FPP, but those in the VHF band are way out of my budget. How expensive is the software?

I'm really just looking for a durable VHF 136-174 band radio with MDC1200 and lots of channels.

clbsquared

Any software for Motorola radios is going to cost you between $200-$500. If all you want is a good analog radio with MDC and 100+ channels, look into an HT1250. Those are fairly inexpensive.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
A Model I XTS5000 only does 48 channels.

I second the suggestion for an HT1250, they are a good beginner commercial radio. 128 channels, display, MDC1200, QCII, etc. I have several I have been offloading.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
I second the suggestion for an HT1250, they are a good beginner commercial radio. 128 channels, display, MDC1200, QCII, etc. I have several I have been offloading.

Ok. I have also been looking at those, but I am assuming that it also involves outrageously expensive software to program.

clbsquared

Ok. I have also been looking at those, but I am assuming that it also involves outrageously expensive software to program.
I can't remember the price of the Professional Series CPS. Seems to me it's around $200.00. However, there are other options available that don't require a software purchase. Kenwood has some older model radios that will do MDC and you can find the software for free. And I'll say this about Motorola. Google is your friend.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Programming software is just a reality. Yes, it's expensive, and yes, you can sometimes find it from "alternate sources".

FPP is an option, but often requires the programming software to set it up initially. Also, FPP usually won't let you make all the adjustments you'll want, especially things like channel naming, etc.

What ever radio you pick, you'll need programming software, eventually.

XTS-5000 to an HT-1250 is a bit of a spread. Might help if you tell us what your needs are. There's a lot of good radios out there that will do MDC, but do you have any other requirements? Budget?

Kenwood can be a good option. Their programming software is often much easier to use than Motorola. It also tends to be much cheaper.

If analog and MDC1200 are your requirements, any of the newer Kenwood radios will support that. A TK-2180 portable will fit the bill. Lots of those on the used market for relatively cheap.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Bear in mind, Motorola support on either of the suggested Motorola portables is dwindling if not already gone. War is series portables are extremely picky when programming with newer computers on newer operating systems (I’ve never been able to successfully program one on a 64 bit machine for example). Astro 25 portables are much more stable and will program fine on Win 10 machines but you’ll get an extra year of support with an XTS2500 or XTS1500 compared to a XTS5000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Might help if you tell us what your needs are. There's a lot of good radios out there that will do MDC, but do you have any other requirements? Budget?.

VHF High Band 136-174

At least 32 channels

Needs to have support for a shoulder microphone

MDC1200 Signalling

Preferably under $250 per unit.

Freeware (or "alternatively sourced"), or inexpensive programming software.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A lot of used VHF radios will fit in to that price range with those features.

Motorola
Kenwood
Vertex
Icom
Bendix King

New, Kenwood and Icom programming software is pretty cheap.
"Alternatively sourced" you can find pretty much all of them. However, keep in mind the cost of the programming cable.

If you are buying used, make sure you consider that any battery that comes with the radio might very well be toast, or on it's last legs. You'll likely want a new battery.
Speaker mics tend to take a beating, and can be considered "expendable" accessories. They won't last forever, and ones that have been used may be problematic.

Any used radio you purchase, make sure you get a good look at the model number sticker from the back. Make sure you -really- are getting what it says, make sure it's a US market radio, has an FCC ID number, and if it's a Motorola, make sure the Flash Code includes the options you want. Some of the older models didn't not automatically include MDC1200.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Any used radio you purchase, make sure you get a good look at the model number sticker from the back. Make sure you -really- are getting what it says, make sure it's a US market radio, has an FCC ID number, and if it's a Motorola, make sure the Flash Code includes the options you want. Some of the older models didn't not automatically include MDC1200.

How can I determine if it is a US model and if the Flash Code supports my options?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Has mdc as far as I know, analog only. You would need it flashed to do p25 digital conventional. Flash keys are a rare thing in many places since the line is eol more or less.

Some still have them but its barter and worling deal. Then there is the forbidden brick road as alternative which I don't wanna go down.

If you require digital I would look for a p25 capable unit. If analog suits you fine then you are good to go.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Has mdc as far as I know, analog only. You would need it flashed to do p25 digital conventional. Flash keys are a rare thing in many places since the line is eol more or less.

Some still have them but its barter and worling deal. Then there is the forbidden brick road as alternative which I don't wanna go down.

If you require digital I would look for a p25 capable unit. If analog suits you fine then you are good to go.

Flash keys are on a per serial number basis typically. Unless it’s just a refresh key someone has laying about (which is only good for firmware) you have to go through Motorola who is dropping support on the XTS5000 at the end of December if memory serves correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.