• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola RMM2050 MURS Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

Walmart* is probably Motorola's best customer for MURS radios. IIRC Motorola supposedly sells a variant of the RMM2050 MURS radio exclusively to Walmart*. The Walmart* variant might have a few features removed that Walmart* doesn't use.

I would go for an RMM2050 if I were in the market for a MURS radio. I bought a pair of Motorola CP100 15-channel VHF portables back in 2005 for MURS use. The VHF CP100 is a variant of the VHF XTN series portables that Walmart* was using at the time. Walmart* has since replaced their XTN series portables with the RMM series.

I still have my pair of CP100 VHF portables. I keep them at work in case myself and co-workers need some radios to use on the job. They are throwaway items in case anything happens to them. They are MURS-legal in that they are grandfathered Part 90 equipment and meet all other requirements for MURS. The CP100 was FCC certified in August 2002 and the grandfathering ran out in November 2002. The RMM series appears to be the replacement for the VHF XTN series and VHF CP100 on MURS.

The RMM series uses the Business Radio CPS for programming, the same CPS used to program all of Motorola's business radios.

The radios are rugged enough to hold up to Walmart* beating the crap out them all day long. While they are entry level commercial radios, they are way better than any FRS bubble pack radio. I think they must be OK radios given that Walmart* buys a ton of them.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

K1TSL

I have several CP110m units and they not only have good audio (clear and loud) but also pretty good range. Much better than FRS. We've used them inside of large stone and steel buildings without any trouble. You can usually find them on Ebay for a reasonable price. Easy to use, durable.

n1das

Does anybody here have the Motorola RMM2050 MURS radios? If so, how are they? My first reactions, when I saw them online, was, "Well, they are Motorola." But then I remembered some of the Motorola FRS radios and wasn't so sure about these.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/e...-radios/rm-series/rmm2050.html#tabproductinfo
To help get more familiar with the RMM2050, check it out by exploring the programming through the Motorola Business Radio CPS. You can learn your way around the radio before buying it. Open a default RMM series profile in the CPS and then explore. The latest CPS version is R06.00, IIRC.

One thing I noticed in the RMM programming is the two MURS frequencies 154.57 and 154.6 are forced to be wide bandwidth only. The MURS rules also allow narrow bandwidth on these frequencies. The three 151MHz freqs are narrow only per MURS rules. My old CP100 radios are wide/narrow selectable on 154.57 and 154.6.

Motorola's crappy and much hated X-Pand audio companding system is forced on when in narrow mode. My one complaint is I would like to be able to turn the compander off on narrow channels.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Used them at work, very small compact

theres no channel selector or screen so the radio talks to you

while they are motorola rugged its antenna is permanently mounted and quite small stubby so i've found the range lacking compared to the older rdm/rdx, cp series with the longer antenna

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
I am a bit late, but I am a regular MURS user (very helpful for short range comms when ham radio is impractical and when I am using my radios with my non-ham friends). The RMM2050 was my first MURS radio, and it is a great little radio! It is tough, it is user-friendly, and it is fun! I would recommend it over any other MURS radio since it is customizable, 100% MURS legal, made for a business audience (not cheap consumer stuff), and is Motorola! If you haven't already, buy it and get yourself a speaker-microphone while you are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.