• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

mam1081

Feed Provider
FullArrest said:
Would the Motorola XTS 5000 work as a Triple Trunking Radio Scanner?

Negative - maybe dual-trunking with the right flash - not for the casual scanner listener though. These only trunk Motorola Type II, Smartzone, or P25 trunked systems (that I have seen). Triple trunking included EDACS last I checked.

These radios are also only good for one band (VHF OR UHF OR 800) - not all like a scanner.

You also need expensive software to program them correctly.

You would need permission from the TRS owners to program this radio for their system too.

Just don't do it.

Astro25

stateboy said:
No, it won't.

Buy a scanner.

Well, if you want 2nd rate crappy audio, *then* buy a scanner.

Yes, the XTS5000 can "act" as a scanner, however it won't triple trunk.

mancow

Database Admin
That is, unless he wants to scan a P-25 system. If so, then it won't act as a scanner at all. It will affiliate and cause him a work of s***.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Smartnet, SmartZone, P25. There's your triple trunking!

But no, all Motorola radios will at MOST operate on LTR and Motorola trunking formats,
EDACS isn't available on any Motorola product.

And that's a good thing, because edacs sucks. And I monitor it every day.

I do not consider that trunking format to be suitable for critical services.

Elroy

jparks29

John McClane
EDACS isn't available on any Motorola product.

Not true.....

:D

The USN had some 'special' astro sabers that were EDACS.. although they weren't 'real' astro sabers.. had to do with ericsson being a non-US company and type 1 CCI.

'supposedly' ... :D

Supposedly they were for use on aircraft carriers and such' low power HYDRA systems...

Astro25

I'll echo here on Mr. John Parks.

Motorola did infact produce an SP AstroSaber for the US Military that did do EDACS. Not many were seen, but it has been confirmed that they do exist.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
But nobody has ever been able to step up to the plate and demonstrate the existence of such a beast. It's easier to get pics of what the USAF is cooking up in Area 51.

It's still a rumor until somoene PROVES it exists.

Elroy

jparks29 said:
Not true.....

:D

The USN had some 'special' astro sabers that were EDACS.. although they weren't 'real' astro sabers.. had to do with ericsson being a non-US company and type 1 CCI.

'supposedly' ... :D

Supposedly they were for use on aircraft carriers and such' low power HYDRA systems...

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Though some people have asserted that an XTS5000 MUST affiliate with a trunked or P25 system before it will allow you to receive transmissions, this has yet to be proven by anyone that I know of.

And, using the hidden groups method, I GUARANTEE that an XTS5000 will be able to scan
a Type II system without affiliating.

If you're using the hidden groups method correctly, the radio will never be SET to a
trunked system. So it won't affiliate to one. I'm sure of that.

Elroy

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
ElroyJetson said:
Though some people have asserted that an XTS5000 MUST affiliate with a trunked or P25 system before it will allow you to receive transmissions, this has yet to be proven by anyone that I know of.
No one has proved that you can passively monitor a P25 trunked system (9600) either. There's more word that you can't, which is what I believe.

If you can provide some good believeable facts I'd like to read them.

MOTOROLANUT

Scan

Stupid question time....Minus the Affilation of the XTS 5000 series, How does the scan differ from say a Uniden 996 or Pro 96 scanner in Monitoring the P-25 9600 systems? How does a scanner which obviously does not affilate track conversations in talkgroups?
And or can a Xts 3000 monitor these 9600 systems when using the recieve only portion of the CPS so it does not affilate.

kc4wwu

XTS5000 does NOT have to affiliate to unmute

The XTS5000, will NOT affiliate if you program up the radio with the "Hidden Talkgroups" like Elroy has stated. You take zone one for example, and create 20 channels within that zone. Make the first 16 channels conventional, or receive only channels. Make channels 17 - 20 "P25 talkgroup channels" (This will give you four talkgroups you can scan. If you want to scan 10 talkgroups make channels 17 - 26 etc.)

After you created a P25 trunking personality, loaded the talkgroups in channels 17 - ??
Create a scanlist. In the scanlist, put in the channels/talkgroups you want to scan.
And there you have it.

I know some people may disagree, but mine is working great. No Affiliations at all. ID Display works like a charm also.

Just make sure, you DO NOT add the ability in the menu's to go to them channels. Once you put the radio on that channel, it WILL affiliate. By NOT adding the "CHAN" option in the menu, you don't have the risk of "accidentally" putting your radio on a channel the will affiliate, or having a friend play with it and do so.

Hope this helps someone!

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure that the rules for an XTS3000 are the same as for an Astro Saber, which can "safely" monitor a trunked system via the hidden groups method.

But when it comes to the 2500 or 5000, I'm in unknown territory.

I came up with a new way to scan safely. The hidden groups is something I came up with years ago but here's the new, more
efficient way:

Set up ONLY conventional personalities with scan lists in your FIRST zone. Create as many as you need to support your scan lists,
even if it's over 16 channels.

NO trunked personalities go into the FIRST zone

You DO have a CHANNEL menu in the radio.

All the trunked personalities go into the ADDITIONAL zones, 2 thru whatever.

You do NOT allow a ZONE menu in the radio.

You can scan every zone from the channel knob and CHAN menu without ever having to access a second zone.

Simple, elegant, and saves a ton of personalities. (Astro Saber goes from 150-odd scannable groups to 230-odd
scannable groups.)

Elroy

Elroy

Last edited:

kc4wwu

XTS3000 and Astro Saber

Another way to do it with these two radios is just use the "TX INHIBIT" option. These two radios will NOT affiliate if you use TX INHIBIT. Even safer!

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I ALWAYS recommend doing that. Set BOTH positions of the two position concentric switch to TX inhibit (in trunking mode) and just to be on the safe side, flip the switch back and forth so it updates in the radio's CPU, and it should stay shut up.

But I've seen some evidence that the radio may STILL auto-login or login on a PTT attempt if the radio is set to a trunked talkgroup. It seems to be dependent on the radio type as
well as the firmware revisions in the radio.

Better still to never le the radio get set to a trunked talkgroup. Using TX Inhibit is a very
sound additional precaution, though.

Elroy

LPD7

Although it happens to be one Hell of a Radio, like already Stated you can only monitor a certain Band, but not All UHF, you can have it From 340-470 or 450-520, you cant have ALL the UHF Frequencies. it's also not JUST the Radio it self to buy, you have to purchase the whole thing, which is Made for a Siren, and the High Preformance Radio. If you live in an Area with VHF and UHF and Trunked Digital, get a Scanner, my Suggestion is the Pro-96. The XTL 5000 is MADE TO FIT THE USE OF PUBLIC SAFTEY. They even made a model that includes the option of haveing it Compatible for Police Motorcycles, it Comes Ready for Encrypted Comms, so it is definatly not what your looking for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.