RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > The RadioReference Tavern > Movies / Television

Movies / Television - Fifty-million channels and nothing is on. Maybe someone here knows?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:15 PM

Default Radios in Movies...

Just watching some movies here- does anyone know what type of Kenwood radios were in the famous Die Hard movie (the first one)?? In the second film I know they were using Kenwood TH-45AT's with the "scrambler" haha... But Ive got nothing on the first movie.
Also I love how they are able to talk over each other like its a phone- in some scenes McClane and others have their finger's on the talk buttons the whole time...
They also say they are "CB" radios... I.E. When John calls out to the police on Emergency Channel 9... But then suddenly the cop can talk to him amd the "terrorists" on his portable... Lol!

Also, anyone know the brand/model of the radios in the snow mountain facility scene in the movie Inception?- I think they were TK-2 or 380's just painted white...
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

See this Die Hard : The Original Prop Blog – Jason DeBord's TV and Movie Prop Memorabilia Resource
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM

Thanks a bunch.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:35 AM

In the die hard movie they were using Kenwood TH-45AT UHF radios. Funny thing is.. In the movie they portray those radios to have a analog type encryption that can be encrypted by simply putting in numeric numbers to fill the coded encryption standard. However these radios do not offer any encryption or the ability to be encrypted.
Old 08-17-2015, 1:45 PM

Saw this movie the other day... Final Voyage. The bad guys were using radios that looked like ham radios but I could i.d. What they were.
Sponsored links
Old 08-17-2015, 2:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile Kenwood 940s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezelle007 View Post
Just watching some movies here- does anyone know what type of Kenwood radios were in the famous Die Hard movie (the first one)?? In the second film I know they were using Kenwood TH-45AT's with the "scrambler" haha... But Ive got nothing on the first movie.
Also I love how they are able to talk over each other like its a phone- in some scenes McClane and others have their finger's on the talk buttons the whole time...
They also say they are "CB" radios... I.E. When John calls out to the police on Emergency Channel 9... But then suddenly the cop can talk to him amd the "terrorists" on his portable... Lol!

Also, anyone know the brand/model of the radios in the snow mountain facility scene in the movie Inception?- I think they were TK-2 or 380's just painted white...
I think in one of the movies don't remember which but they were using a kenwood 940s.
kb0vwg
wqoi992
Old 08-17-2015, 2:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The "Get Smart" remake with Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway showed an FT-1900 in one of the vehicles during the big chase scene at the end of the movie.

Last edited by k6cpo; 08-17-2015 at 2:55 PM.. Reason: Because I can't type...
Old 08-17-2015, 3:31 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In the movie "Taps" (1981), the cadets are seen communicating with police over an unknown base station radio (CB?). On top of the CB however, is a Radio Shack DX-200 shortwave receiver. If you have the film, it's 01:10:00 into the movie.
Old 08-17-2015, 9:58 PM

Several years ago someone started the imrdb.org site, Internet Movie Radio Database. This was along the lines of the imfdb.org (Internet Movie Firearm Database), imcdb.org (Internet Movie Car Database) and impdb.org (Internet Movie Planes Database) sites, sites that listed and gave backstories on these items used in movies. Unfortunately the imrdb.org seems to have never taken off, although the other sites are pretty active.

T!
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2015, 2:42 AM

Speaking of die hard movies, in live free or die hard I liked the cb he was using in the semi, I noticed it had a numeric readout and he was able to communicate with a fighter pilot with it.
Old 08-22-2015, 3:13 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie-man View Post
Speaking of die hard movies, in live free or die hard I liked the cb he was using in the semi, I noticed it had a numeric readout and he was able to communicate with a fighter pilot with it.
Military aircraft radios are very frequency agile so I wouldn't totally discount the possibility. It's likely just dramatic license on the part of the writers but somebody may come along with more info on this.
Old 08-22-2015, 4:21 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"Movie" and "radio accuracy" are mutually corrosive when used in the same paragraph.

How many times have you heard AM tuning whine on synthesized FM radios when nobody is transmitting? The unwashed masses get the idea that the radios have failed, but I simply cringe.

It gets even worse when folks in the real world expect CB's and encrypted UHF to magically play together, and for voices to always be crystal-clear Dolby 5.1 'just like in the movies'.
Old 08-22-2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeatock View Post
How many times have you heard AM tuning whine on synthesized FM radios when nobody is transmitting? The unwashed masses get the idea that the radios have failed, but I simply cringe.
Don't forget the squelch crash BEFORE and after someone makes a transmission and it's audible on the radio they're using.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
If you look closely, the frequency is 666
Larry
Old 08-25-2015, 4:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Icom IC-7000 in the classic animated movie Ponyo: https://wa5znu.org/2010/11/ponyo-ham/
Old 08-25-2015, 4:48 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

In the first Die Hard, Argyle, the limo driver powers up a mobile. I'd have to watch it again to see if I can catch the brand.

If memory serves, in the fourth installment of the series, there's an Alinco in the unmarked Crown Vic that John McLane uses as he is "stalking" his ex-wife.
Old 08-25-2015, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6gcv View Post
In the first Die Hard, Argyle, the limo driver powers up a mobile. I'd have to watch it again to see if I can catch the brand.

If memory serves, in the fourth installment of the series, there's an Alinco in the unmarked Crown Vic that John McLane uses as he is "stalking" his ex-wife.
Argile was suppose to have a CB radio in his car. You really don't get to see the model radio it is cause the camera never hits on a direct angle.
Old 08-25-2015, 5:26 PM

Also it baffles me how stupid the director and more so script writer was to think the police would do tactical advances against terrorists over CB communications. Even in 1988 they had analog voice scamblers and more so their own channels on UHF/VHF to operate on with CTCSS tone codes
Old 08-25-2015, 5:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnls7424 View Post
Argile was suppose to have a CB radio in his car. You really don't get to see the model radio it is cause the camera never hits on a direct angle.
Ah! That explains a lot! But I can say that the Alinco is clearly seen in the other movie. Not to mention a Yaesu HF rig in the stack o' radios in the second Die Hard when John Amos's character speaks to someone named "Telford" who has headphones on.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:11 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I thought Silent Bob aka Warlock patched him with the FBI guy? That was one banging fighter plane and Timthony Olyphant did a amazing job as the villian! Wasn't the CB frequency 66.6mhz? This is a great thread!!!
Uniden 536 HP Kenwood TS-2000 Comet 250-B Diamond D3000N