How Much of Canada is Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Not to sure where to put this. As a proud Canadian and based on the database, how much of Canada is encrypted? I am mainly looking for a rough percentage.

Thanks!

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That's a pretty broad question.... are you talking overall or just public safety? Etc etc... Obviously in the police world it's more than not, in Ontario at least. As newer system are brought online that seems to be the current trend. Of police agencies in Ontario I'd say well over half are encrypted. In my area there is only a very small handful that aren't.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Depends. Law enforcement? Lots. RCMP is almost 100% encrypted, the only division not using encryption for day to day comms is K-Division. Once they transition to AFRRCS they will almost certainly be encrypted full time. The only major police force in Canada that is not is the OPP. Most municipal police forces are encrypted, or will be shortly. Edmonton and Calgary are two off the top of my head that are not encrypted yet. Vancouver Police will be when they move to WARS-NRG. The replacement system to WARS is almost 100% encrypted except for the ECOMM techs. Even the interop talkgroups are encrypted.

Majority of Fire departments in Canada are not encrypted, although some are.

Majority of EMS are not encrypted. Alberta EMS are encrypted. BCAS on the replacement WARS system will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys! I've been scrolling through the Canadian database lately just to compare it to Ontario. So far the east coast and the West coast seem to be pretty encryption heavy.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks for the input guys! I've been scrolling through the Canadian database lately just to compare it to Ontario. So far the east coast and the West coast seem to be pretty encryption heavy.

The interior of BC is a bit out with respect to RCMP encryption. I doubt there are very many, if any, repeaters left that are analogue.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
The interior of BC is a bit out with respect to RCMP encryption. I doubt there are very many, if any, repeaters left that are analogue.

Good point! With the next generation of E-COM WARS I doubt there will be much to listen to... :'(

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Good point! With the next generation of E-COM WARS I doubt there will be much to listen to... :'(

The WARS system only covers a very small area of BC. The 700MHz replacement system looks to be fully encrypted. So far the only in-encrypted talk groups have been the radio techs.

On Vancouver Island, CREST, Which is currently VHF, will become another zone of WARS. Likely it will be fully encrypted as well. While these two networks cover the vast majority of the population of BC, they cover a fraction of the area of BC.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
A lot of encryption on MPSRN. RCMP are encrypted. PEI and NS fully, NB is still in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.