Uniden BCD996XT and Douglas County

Status
Not open for further replies.

xillennium

So I just got a new BCD996XT and I'm trying to listen to the P25 Douglas County Simulcast system and I'm having some issues. I live in Bellevue and can pick up Sarpy County Simulcast Motorola Type II Smartzone system perfectly. Google tells me that the Sarpy County tower is only 6 miles away from my home, and the Douglas County tower is 26 miles away. I know the range of the Douglas county system is only 25 miles and I think this is why I'm having issues, so I bought a Yagi antenna. I tried pointing it in the direction of the Douglas County tower, but I'm still just getting garbled transmissions. I've tried adjusting the secret menus by holding down the hold button when powering on the scanner, but nothing seems to help. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks!

W0JJK

Which tower did you point it to?

They have sites at 480/I80 junction, and 108 and I St. Are pointed towads one of them?

I live in the north part of bellevue and I get decent reception. Try these settings:
P25 adjust level 50
P25 adjust mode 11
Digital Response 0
Ref. Gain 0
Digital ACG ON
Squelch 0 "that's if you don't listen to any conventional freq" If you do then set the squelch at 1

Hope this works for you

I'm using a AOR Discone Antenna

jay

xillennium

I live in the north part of bellevue and I get decent reception. Try these settings:
P25 adjust level 50
P25 adjust mode 11
Digital Response 0
Ref. Gain 0
Digital ACG ON
Squelch 0 "that's if you don't listen to any conventional freq" If you do then set the squelch at 1

Hope this works for you

I'm using a AOR Discone Antenna

jay

How do I adjust these on the BCD966XT?

Digital Response 0
Ref. Gain 0
Digital ACG ON

W0JJK

The Douglas County portion of the ORION system has 7 simulcast sites that use LSM. If you try point the yagi at 111th and I St or 480/I80 Split you might have better luck.

What is happening your scanner is seeing more than one sites and the signal jumps up and down in strength. Then cause the drops out.

I have the same issue with the 996XT in the truck when in Bellevue. I also use the PSR500 and it handles the LSM simulcast better.

Here is the WIKI on what is happening.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Hope this helps.

xillennium

The Douglas County portion of the ORION system has 7 simulcast sites that use LSM. If you try point the yagi at 111th and I St or 480/I80 Split you might have better luck.

What is happening your scanner is seeing more than one sites and the signal jumps up and down in strength. Then cause the drops out.

I have the same issue with the 996XT in the truck when in Bellevue. I also use the PSR500 and it handles the LSM simulcast better.

Here is the WIKI on what is happening.

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

Hope this helps.

Do I just keep the control channel the same and point the yagi it at this other tower, or do I need to change control channels? This is the only information I have to go on: Omaha Regional Interoperability Network (ORION) Trunking System, Omaha, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Thanks for the help.

SCPD

QRT
You will keep the control channel the same. All towers have the same control frequency (and voice frequencies) in the same site (in this case, the Douglas County Simulcast site).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

xillennium

You will keep the control channel the same. All towers have the same control frequency (and voice frequencies) in the same site (in this case, the Douglas County Simulcast site).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

How can I determine where each of the 7 towers are located? The radio reference site only seems to give the location to one, Latitude N 41.299476
Longitude W -96.137238

Last edited:
The digital AGC On/Off would be in your ORION/System Menu

The digital response and gain would be in the 996xt main menu/settings. The default for these two settings is 0

hope this helps

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.