NSP low band

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
Rather than resurrect this old thread..... http://forums.radioreference.com/nebraska-radio-discussion-forum/290236-low-band-nebraska.html

Does anyone know - for sure - if the NSP has abandoned its low band frequencies?

I'd love to jettison them out of the active scan rotation, but not if one would maybe turn up in the future as a "secret" channel.

FWIW: I haven't heard a peep out of any of the state's previously high traffic VHF low channels since NWIN went live in northeast Nebraska.

wbswetnam

I asked a very similar question a few days ago about low band frequencies which used to be very active in Arkansas. http://forums.radioreference.com/arkansas-radio-discussion-forum/332589-37-240-37-200-37-100-a.html Thirty plus years ago, 37.240, 37.200 and 37.100 were very busy frequencies in Arkansas, they were used by law enforcement across the state. But for the past ten years, I have been monitoring and I have not heard even so much as a test transmission on any of them. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. The same is true for the old low band Arkansas State Police frequencies in the 44 Mhz range. I think we can stop monitoring low band anything at this point.

Incidentally, I went to high school in the very early 1980s in South Sioux City, Nebraska. I remember monitoring 39.900 and 42.460 NSP out of Norfolk on a crystal-controlled Bearcat III scanner.

Last edited:

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
I would say no. Most if not all the cruisers I have seen for the past 1-2 years don't even have the low band whip mounted on the fender anymore. I don't think any of the dispatch centers have low band anymore either.

W0JJK

I agree with orion, that the lowband radios are gone and no longer in cars. I don't see any lowband antenna on any cars.

tfhphoto

Premium Subscriber
For the first time in a very long time (couple of years) I heard a roll call between northeast Nebraska counties on 39.90.

It was very much like the new ROC radio checks on NWIN, but it was the "LEC" - I'm assuming the Dakota County Comm Center - calling for Hartington, Thurston, Winnebago PD, etc.

I was mobile at the time and wasn't able to copy the called departments' response.

This was about 10:44 a.m. Tuesday.

So, it seems counties in northeast Nebraska are retaining 39.90 for use as some sort of point to point interop system (which was really what it was back in the day).

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
So, it seems counties in northeast Nebraska are retaining 39.90 for use as some sort of point to point interop system (which was really what it was back in the day).

Nebraska Emergency Management still has their documentation referring to 39.900 as an emergency channel for communications between LEOPs. It seems they are not fully embracing the "ROC" channels on the SRS yet. I'm guessing all of the LEOPs will still have 39.9 until their transmitters break down and they can't get parts. Below is an excerpt from the Nebraska State Emergency Management Plan.

https://nema.nebraska.gov/sites/nema.nebraska.gov/files/doc/nebraska-seop.pdf
"State actions:
When a warning is received, the operator at the State Warning Point will clear the
NAWAS network of all traffic, transmit the warning and then receive acknowledgement of
the warning from each Warning Point. The Alternate State Warning Point provides a
backup means of disseminating tactical warnings. The area Warning Points will
immediately send any warnings to assigned locations using a secondary warning
network, 39.9 MHz or telephone"

On a side note, it you have not monitored NAWAS, there is a lot of good stuff that comes across here. They do regular nationwide and statewide calling tests. In the event of a major National Emergency, this would be a good frequency to have ready.

NAWAS is primarily a phone based network, but I know of 3 NAWAS transmitters in Nebraska. There may be more, but these are the only ones that have been reported to Radio Reference by scanner listeners. I'm not sure if there are any of these gems transmitting around the Sioux City area, but let us know if you find them.
156.000 Grand Island
453.650 Lincoln
155.550 Papillion (Omaha Metro Area)

wbswetnam

NAWAS is primarily a phone based network, but I know of 3 NAWAS transmitters in Nebraska. There may be more, but these are the only ones that have been reported to Radio Reference by scanner listeners. I'm not sure if there are any of these gems transmitting around the Sioux City area, but let us know if you find them.
156.000 Grand Island
453.650 Lincoln
155.550 Papillion (Omaha Metro Area)

In the summer of 2003 I was attending a summer grad school class on the campus of UNL, and I brought my scanners with me. I remember monitoring the 453.650 frequency when some severe storms were raging across the state. Interesting listening...

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone heard anything on the fire or ems 39.x channels?

starwtc

Last night Scottsbluff county was using 39.9 for fire operations. At one time there were six different fire calls so I think they would have covered any sheriff communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.