Omaha Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
I just heard tonight that Omaha fire department did some major changes on their radio frequencies. Does anyone have any information regarding these changes? I know they did away with their med channel and their fire ground frequencies are now called Tac channels. Thanks.

scanomaha

They did make some changes... BUT for now...Omaha Fire & Rescue is still in the process of getting all new radios in the vehicles.... I assume that after all the radios are installed, they will flip the switch over to Phase 2 ,and I have heard the new radios have some new channels (Talkgroups)..... OPD will have some encrypted channels as well.... So, If you live in and around Omaha...you should have a Phase 2 scanner, because I assume sometime in January or February they will flip the switch over to Phase 2..... When that happens, we will have to see if the control frequency changes as well.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Thank you

hank you for the reply. However, I don't know what Phase 2 is ! Can you direct me to some place where I can read about it.

scanomaha

Correct... and like Frank said.... they also changed a few Talkgroups around as well.....

Omaha Fire has switched to new channels <Talkgroups>

442 Fire Dispatch
443 Paramedic Dispatch
444 TAC 4
445 TAC 5
446 TAC 6
447 TAC 7
448 TAC 8
449 TAC 9
450 TAC 10
451 TAC 11

these have been verified and submitted to RR for database to be updated.
After ALL the radios get switched over the NEW Phase 2 radios, they will flip the switch to Phase 2 and it will require a Phase 2 scanner monitor the system.
https://www.p25bestpractice.com/specifying/phase-1-or-phase-2/

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the talk group numbers. Will put them in for my trip down to Omaha for Christmas . I now have a Radio Shack Pro 96 handheld scanner. I would think it is not set for Phase 2, so what brand would I have to be looking at for Phase 2 ? Thank you !

scanomaha

Correct , your Pro-96 is NOT a phase 2 scanner:::: there is no setting for a Pro-96 to decode a Phase 2 system.
And like I said...for now, your Pro-96 will still work...just know that in the near future, they will flip the switch to full Phase 2.

I would recommend one of the the following>>>
Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP
Uniden Home Patrol 2

or simply do google search on "APCO 25 Phase 2 scanners"
https://www.scannermaster.com/Digital_P25_Phase_II_Scanners_s/708.htm
APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
Keep the old talk group info available. They are trying the new tac channels out. Wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the old fireground channels.

ORION_NE

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm the county fire dispatch talk gorup (304?), since it's been removed from the database? Also can anyone confirm if the rural dept use the tac channels?

Rant
can Cellphone please change the database back the way it used to be before PJH changed everything? Washington county is jumbled it's hard to read so I Douglas County. Douglas Co Corrections should have it's own category. Talkgroup 625 was a countywide LE talk group (formally A8) for car to car never a dispatch channel. Washington county Fire should have it's own category. Washington county schools and utilities should be under the city/town they belong to. Don't know why PJH changed everything around but since then it's very hard to read.
Rant over.

drake2b

Douglas Co. NE. VFD Departments

I still hear dispatch on the old tag and also the new one #454.
Also heard a VFD county unit told to switch to TAC 13?
A Valley VFD unit told to switch H-4 ??
Lot of interesting monitoring for these cold days ahead..

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Here's the deal - and everyone complains and no one sends me an email...

I got five submissions that the new tac channels had replaced the old stuff.

When we get those submissions, and no one answers my messages in the submissions for clarification, the old goes out with the new.

This is what happens when people copy and paste information from other websites or submits incomplete information.

By policy, if someone makes a submission of "hey, these are new talkgroups that replaced the old ones", that what we have to go on.

We cannot and do not check every single discussion thread to see whats new. There isn't enough time in the day (or week) to look at every single thread.

I know there is a group of you guys that does the scanomaha thing - and if you want to make a point person to submit the actual acurrate information - I am cool with that.

But, please don't point the finger at me (or any other admin) when someone (which does happen across the database often) submit unreliable information.

Since I had many of the same submission, it wouldn't throw any red flags.

Personally, and quite often, I ask questions on certain style submissions to make sure things are clear. If your RRDB account it setup not to inform you, or if you turn off PM and email notifications - then there is no way to reach you.

Some are better than others - but we can only work with what we are given with.

/rant

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm the county fire dispatch talk gorup (304?), since it's been removed from the database? Also can anyone confirm if the rural dept use the tac channels?

Rant
can Cellphone please change the database back the way it used to be before PJH changed everything? Washington county is jumbled it's hard to read so I Douglas County. Douglas Co Corrections should have it's own category. Talkgroup 625 was a countywide LE talk group (formally A8) for car to car never a dispatch channel. Washington county Fire should have it's own category. Washington county schools and utilities should be under the city/town they belong to. Don't know why PJH changed everything around but since then it's very hard to read.
Rant over.

The ORION database is still in flux, and is being worked on as well.

By standards, unless its really large - all county listings go under the county category, and all citys/towns are given each their own.

We typically do not (the old way) give every agency within the town its own subcategory in trunked systems. That would create a very large listing of one or two talkgroups each.

Each category gets its own area specific GPS range - and in the past, some people would have different ranges for each department which really screwed with scanners and loading of the information.

I just spent the better part of the month reworking 5 systems in another state due to that.

Bear with us. Some of the systems when the conventional side and trunked side were merged into the current form or RRDB had a bunch of errors and problems - and it takes time to sort.

Even working on one system to make a few cosmetic changes can take an hour or two each.

e15289577

Here is a corrected list of talkgroups for anyone interested. These have been submitted:

442 Station Paging
443 OFD Dispatch
444 TAC 3
445 TAC 4
446 TAC 5
447 TAC 6
448 TAC 7
449 TAC 8
450 TAC 9
451 TAC 10
452 TAC 11
453 TAC 12
454 TAC 13
458 County Fire Dispatch

NOTE1: There is no longer a separate Fire and Medic dispatch, they are now one-the-same
NOTE2: I've recorded traffic on 455 through 457, however I can't tell if they are just called TAC 14 - 16 or if there are more uses.
NOTE3: A firefighter accidentally transmitted on TG 330 this past Tuesday, so it appears that TG is at least still in their radio programs.
NOTE4: As far as I know, the "Fire Block" TGs were deprecated with the "Fireground" TGs. I don't have any info on the rest of the old TGs, but I've not recorded a single one used since 3 days after the change happened.
NOTE5: I don't know why Irvington Fire has a talkgroup listed just for them in the database, but that talkgroup doesn't show up in my last 3 years worth of logs. They've been getting dispatched on the same TG as all the other county VFDs for at least the last several years.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Omaha Station paging

Quick question .... I see thet OFD talk group # 442 is for Sation Paging. Does anyone hear anything over that channel ? Thanks.

e15289577

Quick question .... I see thet OFD talk group # 442 is for Sation Paging. Does anyone hear anything over that channel ? Thanks.

I have 8 hits on 442 in the last 1.5 hours (on a scanner that is dedicated to OFD).

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I have 8 hits on 442 in the last 1.5 hours (on a scanner that is dedicated to OFD).

Are you using a GRE or Whistler scanner? I’m wondering if 442 is a patched talkgroup.

If it is patched, a Uniden scanner would not hear it depending on how the patch is set up. Uniden scanners don’t correctly follow patches on P25 systems.

Last edited:

e15289577

Are you using a GRE or Whistler scanner? I’m wondering if 442 is a patched talkgroup.

If it is patched, a Uniden scanner would not hear it depending on how the patch is set up. Uniden scanners don’t correctly follow patches on P25 systems.

The scanner that is logging/recording is a Uniden BCD536HP. I also have the BCD436HP. It picks it up just the same.

I also have a Whistler WS1040 and it can get TG 442 on that as well but...I don't use it much.

scanomaha

I am scanning with a Uniden Home patrol 2, and I am hearing Fire / EMS dispatch on 442...(station paging)

I just heard a fire truck going back into service on 443.....
I think when the original call goes out..it goes out on 442 (Station Page).... and after that, they (Fire & Med units) use 443 to talk back to dispatch.....it appears 442 is station paging only? ...meaning no units talk back to dispatch on 442.
it seems there is no longer "med dispatch"

442 Fire/EMS (station paging)
443 Fire/EMS Dispatch
444 TAC 4
445 TAC 5
446 TAC 6
447 TAC 7
448 TAC 8
449 TAC 9
450 TAC 10
451 TAC 11

e15289577

442 Fire/EMS (station paging)
443 Fire/EMS Dispatch
444 TAC 4
445 TAC 5
446 TAC 6
447 TAC 7
448 TAC 8
449 TAC 9
450 TAC 10
451 TAC 11

FYI, the TAC numbers on this list are off by 1. TG 444 is TAC 3 and they count up from there. Reference the attached recordings from dispatch (443) where they instruct the dispatched units to use "TAC 3" (444) at the end of the recording and then a few moments later Battalion 4 transmits on TAC 3 indicating he's enroute. The talk groups / names are listed in the file name.

You are correct about station paging though. In reference to there possibly being a patch, I'm not certain how this is implemented, as far as we can tell the station paging units at the stations only play audio when transmitted over TG 442. The handheld radios and the radios in the vehicles, I believe, are set up such that any audio that is transmitted over 442 or 443 is heard when the radio is set to whatever channel they use for dispatch (A-?). I do not believe they patch 442 and 443 to transmit initial dispatches but I haven't paid enough attention or gone through enough recordings to find out.

Attachments

• OFD-audio-2018-01-10.zip
    81.6 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.