metro terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
While i was in LV I herd several terms I would like to get clarification about.
First as to units/beats used to be in my youth if you leved in FRANK1 the beat car was 1-FRANK-1, 2-Frank-1 etc. Now i hear 2-Frank-57. Also, Tom units rove , but Tom-3456?

Also, wheen units are rolling to calls were there is potential or report of 421a, the dispather askes about a CIT units or something, I realize this unit has training in mental health issues, but what do the letters stand for?

crazynova

The call signs have kind of changed in recent times. There honestly isn't really much rhyme or reason to the last numeric digits to the call sign. The first number is the shift (1-grave, 2-day, 3-swing). The letter, pronounced in phonetics, is the area the unit generally works (i.e. Frank are for a Frank unit, or George area for a George unit). The only time the last two digits really matter are for CD, DP, PT, and PS units. There is a list that shows what numbers belong to what area commands.

When it comes to Tom units, the first digit is the shift and then the numbers are random. If the shift number is anything other than 1, 2, or 3, the unit is doing directed activity of some sort and not going on calls for service generally.
As for CIT, those are officers who are trained members of the Crisis Intervention Team. It is specialized training in dealing with the emotionally distraught or mentally ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.