Informal Air To Air Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
For those listeners who enjoy very informal conversations on the VHF aviation frequencies I would suggest monitoring 120.025 in the Southern Nevada or Northwestern Arizona areas. It appears that pilots flying a tour carrier between LV and the Grand Canyon and possibly other areas use this frequency as if nobody can hear what they are saying. Topics include flight attendant measurements, their favorite drinking spots in LV, a brothel in Pahrump, their bosses & company policies, pay, and much more. Music is sometimes heard also. Here in the Kingman area their transmissions are usually full scale. They have never mentioned the company name of their employer. Great listening most every day. Searching the VHF aviation spectrum sometimes yields interesting traffic.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
From a subsequent radio transmission I suspect it is a helicopter operation.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Most of the transmissions are easily heard in both NW AZ in Mohave County as well as in Clark County NV. I have been on the phone with a friend who resides in NLV at the time of some of these transmissions and could hear them over my radio in AZ as well as his radio in NLV. The entertainment continues most everyday on 120.025. Many topics are discussed and few have anything to do with their actual flying duties. I sometimes wonder just how much attention the pilots are devoting to flying the plane making it a possible safety issue.

JoeyC

I sometimes wonder just how much attention the pilots are devoting to flying the plane making it a possible safety issue.

95% of flying is in landings and takeoff. At altitude with autopilots engaged theres little to do but talk and wait.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Most of the transmissions are easily heard in both NW AZ in Mohave County as well as in Clark County NV. I have been on the phone with a friend who resides in NLV at the time of some of these transmissions and could hear them over my radio in AZ as well as his radio in NLV. The entertainment continues most everyday on 120.025. Many topics are discussed and few have anything to do with their actual flying duties. I sometimes wonder just how much attention the pilots are devoting to flying the plane making it a possible safety issue.

I agree AZMONITOR. Since you posted this freq, I have been able to listen to them clearly almost daily here in East Las Vegas.

Many topics are discussed and few have anything to do with their actual flying duties. I sometimes wonder just how much attention the pilots are devoting to flying the plane making it a possible safety issue.
I think the only time they talk about flying is when they are complaining about something (pay, hours they have to work etc...). As JoeyC states, they most likely have very little to do en-route to their destination.

They do provide some entertaining listening at times though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.