Better Scanning Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I have alot of posts on this website, I really like to share information especially when I have a positive effect. As you may find I have tried many antennas. I am currently using DPD Productions antennas. Today I have found a really cool improvement for my scanning preference. I found RS has the FM TRAP catalog #15-024 back in stock. BNC adaptors to convert f to bnc RS 278-256. My scanners have new life with the traps installed inline with antennas. Now be advised I like to hear VHF air (Tower and aircraft) and Military Air freqs. By blocking the FM radio band (here in the Vegas Valley) I have what I expected when I bought my scanners. (Clear five bars tower and aircraft comms)(ATIS as well) I finally feel I have what the scanners were designed to do. I also feel the DPD antennas are far and above what I expected. Look around the antenna forum and you may see as I did, in a city you really need to filter, not add, more antennas. Front end overload is a real problem for scanners in a city. Att settings don't do it for VHF Air band. You need to filter the FM Radio junk and the scanner will perform as you expect. (Funny even the RS clerks didn't know what I needed the Traps/adaptors for.) To add, the trunked systems(SNACC/NSRS/NNSA) are not blocked out by the filters. Try this mod if you want more scanning in Vegas. Or I should say improved scanning. If you want the airplane stuff. Please post if you try this and tell your results.

neondesert

Premium Subscriber
Happy to hear your getting the results you expect with your scanner! :cool:

You're absolutely correct on needing an fm trap hear in the Vegas Valley to pick up the airband clearly. I had the same problem when I purchased my BCT15X. Once I used a notch filter for the FM broadcast band the difference was like night and day! I guess it's all those high power fm stations broadcasting from the antenna farm on Black Mountain that cause most of the trouble.

It's also nice to see that RS is now carrying an FM trap again. I'm not surprised though when you state that the clerks are clueless as to why you would need one.:roll:

What model DPD antenna are you using?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
DPD antennas

I've got the VHF vertical and the big LP antennas up on the roof.Both from DPDproductions. You are correct "Night and day difference with or without an FM Trap"

Status
Not open for further replies.