Fernley, Lovelock, Wellington, Dayton

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
I drive a LOT through Nevada on I-80, between Utah and California. My BCT15X is setup correctly for coverage of most of I-80, but on several trips I noticed a 'black hole' where I would get no radio traffic. Specifically between Fernley and Lovelock. The Toulon site works fine once I am in range, but south of that site, until I get to Fernley is pretty empty.

I do not have Wellington or Dayton sites programmed. On the RR map it says it should be in range for that spot on I-80. I chose not to add them because it seemed to be on the fringe of the site's range. I'm going to go ahead and add them for my next run on Saturday.... just wondering if anyone knows if these sites actually reach that far north?

Both Wellington and Dayton are co-located and show the same range. Are these both active or is one for backup?

I listen in to the NHP talkgroups only.

SCPD

QRT
The Wellington site is on a peak named Pine Grove, located in southern Lyon County fairly close to the California state boundary. I've not heard a peep from Pine Grove when driving through the area. Even so Pine Grove won't do you any good for coverage in the area between Fernly and Lovelock.

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
I can get some reception in that area but I agree there is a dead spot in the middle. I have been trying to figure it out myself. Maybe try Fallon?

Dayton and Wellington are actually separated, I have heard traffic on Wellington a couple of times. I will be heading down that way again so I will double check soon.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
I'll try Dayton, Wellington and Fallon this Saturday. Perhaps they are using a conventional channel in that area...

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
I should be clear, Wellington is way down south from 80. I doubt it will reach but I did hear traffic on it this morning FWIW when I was down at the fire near Topaz.

SCPD

QRT
I've yet to hear anything on Wellington. If I get a chance I should travel to Sweetwater Summit just south of Wellington and park. I'm using the frequencies shown on the database, are those current?

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
I've yet to hear anything on Wellington. If I get a chance I should travel to Sweetwater Summit just south of Wellington and park. I'm using the frequencies shown on the database, are those current?

They should be because I submitted the update myself a few months back. I also heard traffic on it yesterday when I was back down at the TRE fire.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
I made the round trip again through the area. Still no radio traffic in the area noted. I got a strong signal strength off Dayton, but no NHP chatter. I'm doing this again next Thursday. Any suggestions on VHF that might be used by NHP in that area? (Lovelock to Fernley). I also rarely get radio traffic in Winnemucca, but that might be due to the fact they are not there. (I only see them in Winnemucca once every 4th trip or so)

sigint1

Was: joking
I made the round trip again through the area. Still no radio traffic in the area noted. I got a strong signal strength off Dayton, but no NHP chatter. I'm doing this again next Thursday. Any suggestions on VHF that might be used by NHP in that area? (Lovelock to Fernley). I also rarely get radio traffic in Winnemucca, but that might be due to the fact they are not there. (I only see them in Winnemucca once every 4th trip or so)

In the Reno area and south and east NHP uses the Washoe County EDACS system - they use same talkgroups as on NSRS as the two systems can interface with each other - I routinely hear units making stops on highway 50 around Dayton as well as Esmeraldea county - I would plug in the Reno metro and maybe the Virginia Peak repeaters - I think you might find something in your hole - the freqs are in the Washoe County database.

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber

AFAIK the NHP doesn't use VHF anymore, but I could be wrong. I know I heard a unit say that there is a bad spot for radio in that area when a second unit wasn't responding to a status check out that way.

For Reno to Lovelock I have the following programmed in order:

Reno Simulcast > Patrick (sometimes Virginia Peak) > Eagle Ridge > Toulon Peak

That seems to work pretty well, there are a few bad spots but I think the NHP also has issues with some of the same areas.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that. I just added the Patrick site and I'll look around on the other DB area as well.

FYI - I have done this round trip about 75 times in almost 4 years, and perhaps on 5 of those legs I saw a trooper between Fernley and Lovelock, which might be for radio-safety reasons.

Once I get north of Lovelock (Eastbound), I can hear Elko Dispatch talking to NHP starting at around MM 130 - that is, troopers phoning home from there all the way out to the Utah border.

I'm doing the Salt Lake to Las Vegas run on Friday, easy to find NHP in that area.

tahoekid77

Premium Subscriber
Just drove through again yesterday. It was Eagle Ridge that did the trick... no more gap out on that section. I'm going to drop Dayton, Wellington and Fallon since it was too far out for reception there.

kc7tke

Hey people. I am here in Dayton and have never talked on the repeaters you are talking about. As an amateur radio operator, I listen more than talk, but still like knowing about any new repeater systems we have in this area. I recently re-discovered this site while I was looking for some updated scanner frequencies.

KF7RAY

Premium Subscriber
Hey people. I am here in Dayton and have never talked on the repeaters you are talking about. As an amateur radio operator, I listen more than talk, but still like knowing about any new repeater systems we have in this area. I recently re-discovered this site while I was looking for some updated scanner frequencies.

I don't think you would be talking on these repeaters unless you are a LEO/EMS/NV Energy employee etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.