Mesquite PD stops using speech-inversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooligan

Just noticed last week that Mesquite PD is now running regular analog-voice on their 154.845/131.8Hz repeater, instead of the full-time speech-inversion that they've been running for many years.

Not sure yet if this just applies to the patrol units on the repeater or if for some reason it also applies to the SAINT fellas who were also using it.

SCPD

QRT
wow they still use the old voice interter? This has ways to be heard. I know its illegal to intercept it but we all know some one out there is listening. Was there a reason for the use of it full time that they said? Why turn off now? To me its saying there in process of switching to a newer setup/radios not compatible with it. Wonder if theyll go ADP since they seem to use the cheap method in past?

gariac

At a time when I was doing telecom chip design, we looked into speech inversion for a product. It was so bad of a means of security that we decided not to pursue it as a project. It was deemed unsellable. Some words shoot right though voice inversion since the brain locks in on the cadence of voice. You can tell "go" from "no". A choppy word like "Cadillac" nearly sounds normal. Little did we know it would actually sell. You can get speaker mics with the inversion built in so that the radio can be stock. [Lots of them were used in the Balkans war, ineffectively of course.]

Now rolling code is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.